Quote Thread

B

B1-66ER

If anyone comes across a good quote or something that a charater said, post it here. Here's my first one that I like a lot:

SPOILER WARNING: This thread will contain many quotes possibly spoiling a book that you haven't read yet.

"No great wisdom can be reached without sacrifice." - Uncle Andrew (from The Magician's Nephew)

Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.

Found in The Magician's Nephew written on the "Enchanted Square Pillar"

"Magic," whispered Digory. "Can't you feel it?"

(from The Magician's Nephew)

My favorite quote is from Puddleglum in the Silver Chair:

"We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world that licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if ther isn't any Narnia. ...We'll be leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for the Overland. Not that out lives will be very long, I should think; but that's a small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say."

When the world seems hopeless, this cheers me up a bit.

I don't know if this is my favorite quote, but it is a good one from MN.

"I'm sure Aslan would have, if you'd asked him," said Fledge.
"Wouldn't he know without being asked?" said Polly.
"I've no doubt he would," said the Horse (still with his mouth full). "But I've a sort of idea he likes to be asked."

This next quote is probably my favorite one. It's from VDT.

"But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." ~Aslan

I'm not sure I have a favorite quote, but this one expresses my desire to discover new worlds. (And my disdain of modern schooling... <_< )

"But do you really mean, Sir," said Peter, "that there could be other worlds--all over the place, just round the corner--like that?"

"Nothing is more probable," said the Professor [...] "I wonder what they do teach them at these schools."

all of those are really great, i really like it when it gets pretty serious and you just stop to think about something for a moment

I thought of another one, from The Last Battle-- where Emeth the Calormen is talking about his meeting with Aslan.

"Then I fell at his feet and thought, Surely this is the hour of death, for the Lion (who is worthy of all honor) will know that I have served Tash all my days and not him. ... But the Glorious One bent down his golden head and touched my forehead with his tongue and said, Son, thou art welcome. But I said, Alas, Lord, I am no son of thine but a servant of Tash. He answered, Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me."

sorry I like such long quotes :p

Here's my favorite quote:

"I wish-I wish-I wish I could have lived in the Old Days," said Caspian from the book Prince Caspian

This is my favorite part in (probably) the whole series...it makes me want to scream, cry, laugh, dance, and run a thousand miles all at once. It isn't really a quote, but I love it. :) SPOILER

"And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story with no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before."

*screams, cries, laughs, and dances*

I TOLD YOU I WOULD!

Yes, these are all great qoutes, thanks for sharing them. :)

Here's one of my favorite. It's when Prince Caspian has just thrown a fit about Edmund, Lucy, Eustace, and Reepicheep going to the World's end with out him.

"But when the others rejoined him a little later they found him changed; he was white and there were tears in his eyes. It is no good, he said. I might as well have behaved decently for all the good I did with my temper and swagger. Aslan has spoken to me." ..... The Chronicles of Narnia have taught me a lot, and this passage taught me that anger about not getting my own way (etc.) is a waste of energy. Keep cool (and Aslan will always be around to help you do so). ;)

:eek: Oooooooohhhhhh........
I always wondered what inspired you to be the epitomy of cool B)
Don't you think you go a bit overboard with it sometimes, though? I mean, it's cool to be cool, but don't freeze people out, girl. :D
Anyway, here's another one of my favorite quotes:
Aslan to Shasta in HHB:
"Child, I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no-one any story but his own."

my fav. quote is probably:
'' wrong will be right when aslan comes in sight
at the end of his roar sorrows will be no more
when he bares his teeth, winter has met its death
and when he shakes his main we shall have spring again''
-''old rhyme in these parts''
this is said by mrs. beaver in l.w.w. :D

I also really liked that quote by Puddleglum about the "make-believe" world, and of course the last paragraph of the Last Battle which is about my favorite.

...but some of these made me stop and think for a while:

(about the duffers)
One day the cat got into the dairy and twenty of them were at work moving all the milk out; no one thought of moving the cat.

I see that as a great parable. Trying to remove yourself away from sin instead of trying to move sin away from yourself.

Then there's in Prince Caspian:
"Aslan, said Lucy, "you're bigger."
"That is because you are older, little one," answered he.
"Not because you are?"
"I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."

...and the passage with Eustace:
"'You will have to let me undress you,' [said Aslan.]...
"The very first tear he made was so deep that I thought it had gone right into my heart. And when he began pulling the skin off, it hurt worse than anything I've ever felt. The only thing that made me able to bear it was just the pleasure of feeling the stuff peel off."

Such great imagery.

I'm game if you are--Polly(Magician's Nephew)
and there was one thing that Peter said.... but that might spoil the book(s) for those who have not read. and there was somethign that.....

Another one of my all time fav quotes is when Digory is telling Aslan about his mother, and Dig starts to sniffle. I can't remember it exactly but it says that Digory was at that point only looking at Aslan's feet, but then he looked up and saw that Aslan was crying, big huge tears. And then Aslan said, "I have known great sorrow."

That just tore me up, it's such a small sentence, but it carries a lot of emotion!

This one has always been one of my favorites....

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isin't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

It has been quite a while since I read the books, but....

In LW&W I vividly remember Aslan scolding Peter for not remembering to clean his sword after the battle.

Even as a child it struck me how beautifully this illustrated the value of a clean conscience.

Maybe I am reading too much into it....

... Anyone else have an interpretation?

Back