Does Susan go to the "New Narnia"?/Whatever happened to Susan?

That is one inconstancy in the Chronicles. In one book Aslan says that once you are a king or queen of Narnia, you are always a king or queen in Narnia. Yet, Susan losses her queenship.

waterhogboy said:
However, Susan doesnt die in the crash - there's still time...

Thats true. But you would have to right the book yourself! And I don't think anyone would let you do that. The Last Battle was CSL last book. But I prefer to look at it like that. ;) :p

What ever happened to Susan?

So I've been searching for a while for an answer to my question. And quite simply there isn't one or at least it's not a good one! Yes, Peter said Susan was "no longer a friend of Narnia." But Aslan also said, at the very end of The Last Battle, "There was a real railway accident. Your father and mother and all of you are--as you used to call it in the Shadowlands--dead." So is it safe to assume Susan was left alone in the world having to bear the grief of losing her entire family in a horrific accident? Friend of Narnia or not--that's harsh! I guess I just wish everyone had a "happily ever-after" ending.

Didn't she go to america at some point during the CoN? I think that's true, maybe while VDT was happening? Perhaps she stayed there?

welcome

Welcome, NarniaDreamer, I didn't see you post before.

I have wondered about Susan, too, but I think she had a happy ending. I think she grew up and married and had children, and then when her children read the Chronicles of Narnia, Susan remembered it all! And she told them the stories were about her and her (dead?) siblings! So they were all excited about it and wanted to try to get to Narnia because their mother knew it was a real place. They somehow magicked themselves into the Wood Between the Worlds, but Susan didn't know what had happened to them and had to follow ... and they all came to Narnia one way and another. :D
And they lived happily ever after.

Last edited:
I think Susan told the narrator of the CoN what happenerd in Narnia, or else how would he know what happened in Narnia? Susan was probably told by Edmond and Lucy by what happened when they were trying to convince her that Narnia existed. It never said the narrator actually went to Narnia, so how else was he suppost to know what happened in Narnia?

I like your thought Holyboy666. Several times Lewis indicates that he was told certain things. Perhaps it was Susan.

Susan could represent a lot of people who start out believing in things, "fall away," and then return after running a gauntlet of life's experiences and feeling one's mortality.

What is comforting is that Aslan/Christ never forgot or abandoned Susan, just like in the real world.

How would the Narrator know what was going on through The last battle if Susan was not there, and everyone had died in the accident? Or had the narrator ever been to Narnia? I might have missed that.

The narrator is always CS Lewis, occasionallly he says something in the first person ("if there is a story about it and it is at all interesting, I may tell it in another book"), but he never does say how he knows the stories. We were just speculating that perhaps Susan told him, but there's no way she could have told him the eventsof TLB, as you say.

Susan was lingering in my mind too

I just finished reading "The Last Battle" this evening. I love it. The ending is so joyful and wondrous. I hope that Susan joined them all in the new Narnia, but it seems that she has lost her "faith" or she became too vain. I expected Aslan to to make mention of her, but she isn't a topic after Peter makes his comment concerning her to King Tirian.

I was worried about Susan in "Prince Caspian" because of her somewhat "non-chalant" attitude when she and Peter weren't believing that Lucy saw Aslan. It seemed that she made her heart bit hard more than Peter. Then in Voyage of the Dawn Treader she was hip and happy in New York, and then I thought: "Gee--she is a bit far and away."

If there's any hope; Aslan did say that their parents were there, however their characters were not presented, that is, no one saw them and they didn't speak, so perhaps Susan is there.

Maybe C.S. Lewis left that open for the reader to dwell on. "The Last Battle" does have very explicit Christian teachings, probably the most poignant is that of the dwarves who aren't able to acknowledge the new Narnia and her trapped in their own minds. Emeth has a really great story, worshipping a false god with true heart, and receiving grace from Aslan in the end.

I am compiling a list of conversations that Susan makes from LWW. From my pickle barrel, she is a very reluctant participant. She clearly did not want to be in Narnia.

She becomes even "nastier" the second time she arrives. Then, we see a good view of her vanity in the Horse and His Boy.

I feel that Susan was downright glad that she was "barred" from Narnia and wanted to forget all about Narnia as she grew older.

This opinion should not paint her as "bad." There are a lot of people who do not fancy "fantasy" or things that just do not fit in with the "real world." Perhaps we can speculate that she was "somebody" in the "real world," whereas she had to share notoriety in Narnia. She, like many people, are much more comfortable in a world where norms are set, very little changes, and there is a kind of structure in which a person can find one's place, even when one's goals is to climb the social ladder as far as one can climb.

Prodigious1One said:
If there's any hope; Aslan did say that their parents were there, however their characters were not presented, that is, no one saw them and they didn't speak, so perhaps Susan is there.

If I am remembering rightly, which is questionable(!), it's mentioned that the children do see their parents--they're in another country within the New Narnia.

I really need to re-read the series!

I dunno if it's still posted on the home page of this website, but I wrote an essay on this subject ... it would be toward the bottom of the page ...

Back