"Planet Narnia" by Micheal Ward

Honza

Just heard about this book. It is a theory that the Narnia Books were based on the concept of the Seven Heavens.

Anyone know anything about it?

The "Seven Heavens" in turn are related to the seven planets of medieval cosmology. So the theory of this book is that Lewis based his chronicles on the medieval seven planets.

Sounds interesting!

I think we had a thread on this book a while back, but I don't know where it might be. I remember being somewhat skeptical myself, though I admit I haven't read the book. I don't know if Ward is contending that Lewis set out to write a series of seven books corresponding to the seven spheres and the seven virtues, or whether it just ended up that way. I think any contention that Lewis set out writing the Chronicles with a final agenda in mind is silly - Lewis stated clearly that he didn't have any ultimate goal of the books. In fact, he started out to write only one, and then thought he was drawing it to a close after three, and then some of the other ones surprised him.

If, however, Ward is contending that a correspondence rose up out of Lewis' classical education as he wrote the stories, that would be much more reasonable.

Back