Contest #17: Narnian New Year Resolutions

Benisse

Perelandrian
Staff member
Royal Guard
If you were a character from one of the Chronicles of Narnia, what kind of New Year Resolutions would you write?

eg. Shift (from Last Battle):
1. More nuts, less work
2. Help Puzzle make some constructive resolutions to help me.
etc.

Choose someone from one of the books (or movie adaptations) and write 5-10 New Year Resolutions true to character.

Deadline for submissions: Ground Hog's Day, February 2, 2014
Note: You may submit multiple entries times, but only one character per entry please (to make it easier for judges to score).

Attachments

• Narnian New Year Resolutions.jpg
    Narnian New Year Resolutions.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Lady Lasaraleen from HHB

Tarkheena Lasaraleen's resolutions ...

1. Give excess dresses and shoes to the less fortunate.
  2. Find Aravis' former maid and offer her a better job.
  3. Investigate every horse in husband's stables to make sure none are talking horses.
  4. Send any talking horses back to freedom in Narnia.
  5. Correspond with Aravis in hopes of furthering discourse and harmony between Archenland and Calormen.
  6. Read a book.
  7. Consider something substantial for 5 minutes every day.

Think these will improve her future?

Excellent new year resolutions for Lasaraleen. Whether they will help her to improve and become a better person rather depends upon her motivation for these changes.

I shall be submitting an entry to this competition in due course. Is it one entry per person?

Excellent new year resolutions for Lasaraleen. Whether they will help her to improve and become a better person rather depends upon her motivation for these changes.

I shall be submitting an entry to this competition in due course. Is it one entry per person?
No, I would say have it if you have ideas for several characters. :)

Looking forward to your entries, Corin! You may submit multiple entries times, but only one character per entry please (to make it easier for judges to score).

Inky, #7 of Lasaraleen's is so funny!
Happy New Year to all!
Benisse

Attachments

• Narnia newyear resolution.jpg
    Narnia newyear resolution.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
I forgot this was a contest -- don't count mine, as mods probably shouldnt compete. Mine are just an example ...

Number 7 in my list for Lady Las is one I should make myself!

Glimfeather the Owl resolves:

I will get a harness made for myself, like what adult Daughters of Eve use to carry their babies around -- just in case I'm needed to transport any more passengers.

Glimfeather the Owl resolves:

I will get a harness made for myself, like what adult Daughters of Eve use to carry their babies around -- just in case I'm needed to transport any more passengers.
Nice! That would have made things easier!

Tash the Inexorable, supreme deity of the people of Calormen.

I shall not eat (so many of) my servants, even if they have offended me by suggesting that I am neither more nor less than the God of a certain country to the north of Calormen.

I do not consider that I have a body odour problem, nevertheless I shall (occasionally) use a good deoderant before manifesting myself before humans, dwarfs and others who are sensitive to unpleasant smells.

Last edited:
Puddleglum New Years Resolutions:

1. Improve on my fricasseed frog and eel pie recipes.
2. Enter a beauty contest, after all, I am a handsome chap.
3. Attend the annual Great Snow Dance (although some calamity will befall Narnia while I'm there, I shouldn't wonder)

King Rilian, son of King Caspian X

I, King Rilian of Narnia, do resolve to live by this code of conduct, starting this year, and shall continue in it forevermore.

1. I will not be deceived by the beauty of women, and choose a female companion based on her heart and love for Aslan.
2. I will not sit in chairs made of silver.
3. I will be vigilant and not give place to witchcraft within Narnia's borders.
4. I will not wear black armor.
5. My shield will always bear the symbol of Aslan.
6. I will visit my grandfather, Ramandu, at least once a year.
7. I will see that the swords of my soldiers are always sharp enough to destroy a silver chair incase the need were ever to arise.

Ooops! I have made too many, so have revised the list as follows:

I, Prince Corin of Archenland, no longer first in line to the throne since it was discovered that I have an older twin brother (hooray!) make the following new year resolutions:

I shall not sneak off to explore strange, foreign cities, whilst there as a guest, especially when in the care of Narnian royalty.

I shall come and go by means of the door, not through windows, roofs etc.,

I shall not start fights with the local inhabitants of the city, even though they deserved it for insulting Queen Susan, nor shall I start fights with the city watch.

I shall not allow people to think I'm my elder brother Prince, one day to be king, Cor, although it's hilarious to see the chaos and mayhem this causes!

I shall not participate in mortal combat against the Calormenes, or anyone else, when father, King Lune of Archenland, forbids it, nor shall I cause injury to anyone appointed to keep me out of trouble.

I shall not insult the leader of an invading army who is our prisoner, even if he does deserve it.

I shall not challenge him to a boxing match, even though I would very easily knock his block off!

I shall not mock him when he is trapped by his mail by a hook on the wall, although this was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, nor shall I laugh when he is turned into a donkey, nor when as an ass he kicks one of the guards, although this was absolutely hilarious!

I shall not use my boxing skills to knock Cor down, quite so often, although he asks for it by being so annoying! However, I shall practice boxing every day using Cor to practice my punches on! Er, sorry, not using Cor to practice my punches on!

Finally, I shall try and keep at least some of these resolutions longer than I managed to do so last year!

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in setting up the judging for this contest.
I've had my hands full lately juggling transitions and new opportunities.
2d9tw14.jpg

But things are a bit more manageable now, so I am temporarily closing this thread now while judges get back to me. Check back in a week or so for the results!

Congratulations all!

The judges' votes are now in, and they were impressed by the thought you put into your Narnian New Year Resolutions. You all are to be commended, including Inkspot, whose Lasaraleen's resolutions were not in the competition by her request.

Avvies have been awarded to the two entries that received the most points, 1st Place to Corin Thunderfist's Corin, and 2nd Place to Sir Tom's Prince Rilian.

2hpu82o.jpg
wlaq0g.jpg

Last edited:
P.S. Honorable mention goes to Firefly 77 for Puddleglum's resolutions. Two out of the six judges mentioned your entry was their favorite because of good ol' Puddleglum, although his scores were less than Corin's and Sir Tom's.

Attachments

• puddleglum.jpg
    puddleglum.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Back