Favorite Lotr Movie Quote

AngelStephie

;) For those of you who have seen all the movies, just wondering, what was everyones favorite quote?? Here are a couple of mine.

"Don't worry Sam, Rosie knows an idiot when she see's one"
"She does?"
-Sam and Frodo, "Fellowship of the Ring"

"I'd rather spend a lifetime with you then an eternity alone"
-Arwen to Aragorn, "Fellowship of the Ring", not exact wording I don't think, but she said something along those lines.

"I don't want to be in a battle, but standing on the edge of one you can't escape is much worse"
Pippin, "Return of the King"

"You smoke to much Pip."
-Merry to Pippin, "Return of the King"

"An elf going ahead of a dwarf? I'll never hear the end of it"
-Gimli, "Return of the King", again, not exact wording

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
In the Mines of Moria
FRODO: "I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."

GANDALF: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All that we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

On the boat in the Anduin river
SAM: "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo, a promise. 'Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
In Osgiliath, after the Nazgul nearly takes Frodo
FRODO: "I can't do this Sam.."

SAM: "I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad has happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why, but I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holding onto something."

FRODO: "What are we holding onto, Sam?"

SAM: "That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
In Minas Tirith, near a door that is about to break open
PIPPIN: "I didn't think it would end this way."

GANDALF: "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back... and all turns to silver glass.... and then you see it."

PIPPIN: "What, Gandalf...See what?"

GANDALF, smiling: "White shores and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PIPPIN: "Well...that isn't so bad."

GANDALF: "No, no it isn't."

At the Black Gate
GIMLI: "Never thought I'd die fighting side-by-side with an elf."

LEGOLAS: "What about side-by-side with a friend."

GIMLI: "Aye, I could do that."

On the slope of Mount Doom
SAM: "Do you remember The Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be Spring soon, and the orchards will be in blossom, and the bird's will be nestin' in the hazel thicket, and they'll be sowin' the summer barley in the lower fields, and eatin' the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?"

FRODO: "No Sam. I can't recall the taste of food, nor the sound of water, or the touch of grass, I'm...naked in the dark.. there's.. there's nothing..no vail..between me, and the way of fire. I can see him...with my waking eyes..."

SAM: "Then let us be rid of it, once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! Come on!"

Back in BagEnd
FRODO: "How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand; there is no going back, there are some things that time cannot mend, some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold."

The Grey Havens
GANDALF: "Farewell, my brave Hobbits. My work is now finished. Here at last, on the shores of the sea, comes the end of our fellowship. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil. .. It is time, Frodo."

SAM: "What does he mean?"

FRODO: "We set out to save The Shire, Sam, and it has been saved..but not for me."

SAM: "You don't mean that..you can't leave."

FRODO, hands Sam the Red Book: "The last pages are for you, Sam"

Frodo hugs Merry, then Pippin, and finally Sam, who he kisses on the forehead. He turns and walks towards Gandalf, who leads him onto the ship. Once on the ship, he turns and smiles back at his friends, and turns and walks away. The ship departs. Merry and Pippin begin to walk away, and Sam watches the ship leave.

Back in The Shire
Sam returns to the Shire, to his home, where he embraces his daughter and his wife

FRODO, voice over: "My dear Sam, you cannot always be torn in two. You will have to be one, and whole, for many years. You have so much to enjoy and to be and to do. Your part in the story will go on."

SAM: "Well, I'm back"

mhm, i don't have a good quote memory. but reading all those quotes Paul put here just reminds me of how beautiful and awesome this story is. i should see all three films again in one long breath. or read the books? either way. it's a story one can never get sick off, 'cause every time you find new sadness, new beauty and new hope in it.

oh, but here's one. (FOTR) Gandalf in Moria: Fool of a Took. Next time throw yourself in and rid us of your stupidity.

sheesh, all these quotes surrounding my favorite character i see, which is pippin of course, can't help but love that guy. I just love his quote when hes asking merry about lunch, afternoon tea, supper, dinner, all those things and aragorn throse a roll and hits him in the head. One of my favorite scenes, along with them finding all the tobacco and smoking, i love it.

tg

"I won't have a pointy ear out scoring me!" - Gimli
"No one tosses a dwarf" -Gimli

Frodo to Sam when they are on their way through the Shire:
Remember what Bilbo used to say, "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going' out your door. You step onto the road and if you dont keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept of to."

shortly after:
Pippin: Ooh that was close
Merry: I think i've broken something

At Elrond's council:
Pippin: Anyway, you need people of inteligence on this sort of mission, quest, thing.
Merry: Well that rules you out Pip.
Elrond: 9 companions. So be it. You shall be the fellowship of the ring.
Pippin: Great! Where are we going?

On the way up to the pass of Kharadras:
Boromir: It is a strange thing that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing. Such a little thing.

Obviously i have had time to watch at least FOTR again. :) And Merry and Pippin are in fact the funniest characters. Though Sam will always be my favorite. No better friend than him.

In the book The Two Towers Legolas and Gimli are talking at helm's deep and Gimli was all like I love the rock, and Legolas said. "But you are a dwarf, and dwarves are strange folk."

I love the line at the Black Gate by Gimli and Legolas.

GIMLI: Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an elf."

LEGOLAS: "What about side-by-side with a friend."

GIMLI: "Aye, I could do that."

That's my favorite, among a few pearls that Aragorn said. I love the fact that Aragorn doesn't want to accept his destiny and his struggle with that.

Legolas: Would you like me to describe it for you, or should I go get you a box?

No fair, Paul, you stole all my favorite quotes! But you probably already knew that and did it just to irk me <_<

In case you wanted to know the exact wording for the ones you didn't have it for, AngelStephie, here it is:

"I'd rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone."
-Arwen to Aragorn, "Fellowship of the Ring"

"Well, this is a thing unheard of! An elf will go underground when a dwarf dare not? I'll never hear the end of it."
-Gimli, "Return of the King"

Yes, Legolas and Gimli rock! Absolutely! Since both Paul and plastik have quoted their conversation at the Black Gate, I won't repeat it, but I was so happy that was in the movie that I cheered (Paul probably heard me, right?) :lol:

Yes, I heard you. lol... how could I not hear you, the whole theatre did. :D

Here's one of my favorite quotes : Pippin: Is there any hope, Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam? Gandalf: There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope.

Gandalf's feeling a despair about the task he encouraged two small Hobbits to do.
It must seem so impossible,.....how sad! :(

I love the scenes that demonstrate Gandalf's power, like in Two Towers:

Gandalf: [To Grima] Be silent. And keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.

Gandalf: I will draw you out, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound.

And in Return of the King:

Gandalf: Authority is not given to you to, steward, to deny the return of the king.

Awesome! :D

specter did take all the good ones although nobody thought of this one

Sam: "If I can't carryy IT for you, I'll carry you" (sob sob sob)

Rosie Cotton

Originally posted by Rosie Cotton@Apr 5 2004, 05:21 PM
specter did take all the good ones although nobody thought of this one

Sam: "If I can't carryy IT for you, I'll carry you" (sob sob sob)

Rosie Cotton
haha, that one is in my post too. ;)

Sheesh...you should be more thoughtfull Mr. Specter. <_<
Oh well, I guess it's just a given that the web master will tromple us all and use up all the good quotes, but I still resent it! (Actually, I don't, but for the sake of others I must say this). B) *Lunis

Pippin: "I never thought it would end this way."

Gandalf: "End? No the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of the world rolls back, and then you see it...."

Pippin: "What? See what, Gandalf?"

Gandalf: "White shores, and beyond them, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

Pippin: "Well, that's not so bad."

Gandalf: "No, no it isn't."

*sobs*

That's one of my favorites too!!! Even though it's not in the book, it's just so perfect and I'm glad they put it in the movie! :D

SAM: "It's very special - that. It's the best salt in all the Shire."
FRODO: "It is special. It's a little bit of home."

(Has anyone posted that yet? Oh well, who cares.) :lol: :p

I love all the quotes you mention but I have a few more I particularly like from the films. From ROTK I really love the way Eowyn says "I am no man" just before she kills the witchking, she just sounds so insulted by the witchking's assumption that she is a man underneath her armour LOL.

I love Pippin's song:
Home is behind
The world ahead
and there are many paths to tread
through shadow, to the end of night
Until the stars are all alight
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade
and the way he talks before he sings, about not having any songs for such evil times - the way he looks at Denathor as he says evil is perfect.

I also love Gollum's/Smeagol's chat by the pool where he talks about Shelob only having Orcs to eat and Smeagol says "and they don't tastes very nice do they precious?"
Perhaps not the most poignant quotes but they have all been quoted here already! I'll have to think about the other two films as it has been at least two weeks since I last watched them..... ;)

Back