Tolkien Trivia

Who was the elf from which all elves was golden hair were desended? (Hint: Legolas didn't have golden hair in the book. just so on one gets confused!)

The Vanyar were a golden haired people, is that what you wanted? There was a Noldorian(sp?) elf, one of Finwe's sons whose hair was golden and his descendants had golden hair too (but his mother was a Vanya)... that was Finarafin, I think... Or were you asking for the Chieftain of the Vanyar?

-DoLW

yay I was right *does happy dance* Okay here's my question, I'm just repeating the one I had before.

What was the name of Turgon's wife (Idril's mother) who died crossing the Grinding Ice?

Elenwe!
Hoorah hoorah!!
This should shake you up a bit....
Do Balrogs have wings? (I reserve the right not to answer the question just to ask it!)

Um..... Elfstone, Ellessar, Estel, (Boy, he had a lot of "e" names!) Strider, Longshanks, Stick-at-naught, Wingfoot, uh...... Is that it? I think so.

Question: What was Numenor destroyed by?

Star, I'm guessing you looked at the last post on a previous page and replied to that, so I'll answer Rosy's question:
Yes, Balrogs have wings! I'll not pull out my books yet, but unless there is some contradictory evidence in books other than The Hobbit and LotR, then they do!

Cheers Aragorn- the definiative answer finally! or is it? This debate as you know rages merrily around most Tolkien forums and i wondered what people here thought!

*eye begins to twitch*
I just don't get why people want to debate this so badly. Because I figured somebody would say that, Ima go get my copy of Fellowship........

OK. A couple pages before "Lothlorien," chapter 6 in book 2, it says, "The Balrog reached the bridge...His[Gandalf's] enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings. It raised the whip, and the thongs whined and cracked. Fire came from its nostrils. But Gandalf stood firm.........The Balrog made no answer. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall.........."

I dunno, but that sure sounds to me like the Balrog had wings.................And if anybody's gonna ask for page numbers, I didn't give 'em because I have a really old edition, so don't ask what page I found that on, cuz you won't get an answer.

Sounds pretty definate; what do they debate about?
I mean, what matireal< do they use to confuse things?

lol, I remember the old, Balrog has/doesn't have wings debates, people used to take the quote: 'shadow about it reached out like two vast wings' and emphasize the 'like' saying 'see it didn't have WINGS it had a shadow LIKE wings that surrounded it.' Let's just forget that in the Sil the Balrogs rushed to Morgoth's aid from Angband to Lammoth in a matter of moments. Just seems like to go that far, wings certainly would have helped.

-Of course, Balrogs seem to also fall off things alot, so I don't think they're too good as using thier wings. j/k.

Ooo..I can picture him...and I remember he watched Esgaroth burn as he escaped on a boat...but what his name was has slipped through the holes in my memory!

I looked it up Dernhelm, yes he's just called the Master of the Town.

Next question: what was the name of the sword of Beleg, which Thingol gave him, and what question did Turin ask of it before he slew himself?

The sword's name was Anglachel, and Turin asked it something to the extent of 'Wilt thou slay me swiftly?'

Q. What was written on Turin's tomb, and beneath it?

It's a general Tolkien and Middle Earth quiz-fest I think, pretty much anything goes. (I'm with you on the Sil tho- I keep trying to finish it, but just end up a bit cross eyed)

Back