The Bird and the Baby/Who's been to Eagle and Child

inkspot said:
I did not mean to imply that Great Britain was a tiny island like Little Cayman. I know that. At one time the sun never set on the mighty British Empire! I adore all the British isles and think they are the cradle of civilisation. (Note the ess.)

What I meant was, being a devoted CS Lewis fan, it would be a shame even to within several hundred miles of the Bird & Baby and not stop in! It would be worth the trek through glorious England to get there, is what I meant. It's a small world, after all.

Awww we was only messin Miss. Inkspot. Don't take it to heart. :D

Cheers for the ess by the way - it truly made my day. :)

Well it is like lego land over there, the roads and the cars are smaller, even the people are like midgets, lol. I had fun petting them all on the head whilst on the tiny island.

tg

tgraveline said:
Well it is like lego land over there, the roads and the cars are smaller, even the people are like midgets, lol. I had fun petting them all on the head whilst on the tiny island.

tg
Aaarhh! Don't make it worse, Teeg!

You must go. Think of the history, the atmosphere, the excitement of sitting where the Inklings sat ... what if some harmonic resonance of their creative briliance still inhabits the place, waiting for a receptive soul to catch its ethereal drift?

Hehe... I honestly think that Americans are more enamoured by our cultural heritage than we are... I mean, say 'I'm off to the Eagle and Child, where Tolkien and C.S Lewis used to meet with their friends!' most people reply 'Oh, yeah... C.S Lewis... He wrote Alice in Wonderland didn't he?'

:mad:

Sorry, that was my point... Hehe, probably didn't make myself quite clear enough. :eek:

I was pointing out the fact that British people don't have the slightest clue about our literary (or any, for that matter) history.

Johan 72109 said:
I was pointing out the fact that British people don't have the slightest clue about our literary (or any, for that matter) history.
Neither do most Americans, but because this is a Narnia site, you're going to find lots of folk impressed by the idea of drinking ale where CS Lewis drank -- or at least, visiting the pub and getting a feel for how it must have been. It's the same like that little bar in Key West where Hemingway used to hang out and write his dreary novels, Hemingway fans know all about it and like to go there and try to absorb some of his gritty realism from the bar stools ... but most Americans don't have a clue.

And I understood your irony in the statement about didn't he write Alice in Wonderland ... :)

Johan 72109 said:
Sorry, that was my point... Hehe, probably didn't make myself quite clear enough. :eek:

oh, no i knew you knew who he was, i was just saying it in general. in case anyone else didn't know... :p

hey tg - you wanna come call me a midget to my face!!??

Before I run off to escape the barrage of anger that will henceforth be spwen upon me, I gotta admit..... I would have made the Alice in Wonderland mistake until afew years ago... :eek:

Its a pub in Oxford. Oxford is a city in the mid south of England. England is a country in the same world America is in - but far, far smaller and older...

The Eagle and Child is actually the name of a pub in Oxford, where Lewis, Tolkien and friends used to go for drinks and discussion. There's actually a pub with the same name in Cambridge, sadly without the great heritage.

Like I said - its a pub. The name of the pub is The Eagle and Child (they call pubs odd names like that over here!!!). It was the meeting place of C.S.Lewis and his cronies. They hung out and chatted there.

Back