The Bird and the Baby/Who's been to Eagle and Child

Oh, i understand! well, rowing is rowing, but rowing is rowing and if you use oars for the wrong one then that could lead to whole world of pain!

Rowing

Sometimes I have heard rowing a boat called sculling or something like that, and we can have a row in the USA, but we do not usually make that into the verb rowing -- we would say arguing or something like that. Waterhogboy, I did not realize you were just learning to drive, no wonder you don't like shifting gears manually. That would be a lot to take in all at once. But in years to come when you can't remember before you knew how to shift and smoke and chat on the phone and hold your girl close all at the same time as you are tooling down the highway, it will be prove very satisfactory to feel the car springing forward with ease at your command...

Lol! Yeh, thats what my instructor says. Rememeber, its harsh over here in jolly old Britland. You can't start learning to drive till you're 17! I was dying to start for two years and had my first one on my 17th bday in Feb! I'm getttin better with the clutch now though - finally!!!

Who`s actually been in Eagle and Child ?

I wonder, it just came to my mind..., how many of you have actually been in the Eagle and Child or in Oxford ?

I have and I just couldn`t resist the temptation of sharing my joy with you ;) :D

That`s the pub in Oxford where Tolkien, Lewis, Charles Williams and a couple of other guys, in other words, the Inklings, met to discuss their books and other ideas and, I`m sure, to have a drink as well :D . To commemorate its noble visitors, the place now has a few photos and a plaque refering to them.

Never been, but I would love to go! I would just want to be there and think what kind of discussions they used to have ... it was probably like getting our own BC, HB, Smog and GC together at one table, with ale ... :eek:

I'll go one day I'm sure. I have friends who live near ish to Oxford so I'm sure I could see my way clear to popping in..but apparently it's got a very small bar!

I almost went a month ago, but i didn't make it to oxford on my travels, a real shame, i really meant to go too. Oh well, some other time i will have to do it.

tg

tgraveline said:
I almost went a month ago, but i didn't make it to oxford on my travels, a real shame, i really meant to go too. Oh well, some other time i will have to do it.

tg
Nooooooo! I can't believe you were on the tiny island and didn't get to the Eagle & Child!

*cough* It's not like you can stroll down the road and there stands the Eagle and Child... We ain't THAT small... :mad:

*sound of pride being injured*

Hehe... :D

Sorry, sorry, sorry!
Sorry. :( :eek: :( :eek:

I did not mean to imply that Great Britain was a tiny island like Little Cayman. I know that. At one time the sun never set on the mighty British Empire! I adore all the British isles and think they are the cradle of civilisation. (Note the ess.)

What I meant was, being a devoted CS Lewis fan, it would be a shame even to within several hundred miles of the Bird & Baby and not stop in! It would be worth the trek through glorious England to get there, is what I meant. It's a small world, after all.

CHECKMATE said:
What are you talking about...[/I]
The Eagle & Child is the pub where the Inklings met regularly, still a functioning pub where you can go and see where those geniuses caroused.

Back