Those 80s movies

tgraveline

Harley Quinn *growls*
Knight of the Noble Order
Emeritus
So yeah if you ever saw them or remember them, which ones did you like?

Me, hmm i loved the starwars ones, back to the future, indiana jones, willow, terminator, so many more.

tg

Horrors!

Horror of horrors, I liked this movie ... FOOTLOOSE. It was the most lame movie in the world, but the music was so fun!!!

All time favorite: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Saw it so many times, had all the dialog memorized. Sad, sad, sad.

You must like Star Wars, of course. Everyone did.

And wasn't ET in the 80's? ET was the Wizard of Oz of the 80's, only ET was Dorothy stuck in our world. So cool.

And a sleeper: War Games. It was about this misfit teenaged boy who accidentally hacked into the US Defense computers and nearly started a nuclear war. He had to go on a huge adventure to find the recluse designer of the war game he had accidentally hacked into and together they had to teach the artificial intelligence that there was hope for mankind ... very inspiring! Could only work during the Cold War, of course.

Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer, Unico, and the Care Bears movie were my favorites.

Okay, just to make you guys all feel old, I wasnt really alive in the 80's, but I have two older sisters who made sure I watched 80's films.

Back to the Future, Batteries Not included (ace little film!) - actually thats abotu it - but theyre great films!

Okay, so I need to go pack for vacation (leaving in the morning) but I had to reply to this thread before heading off for a week.

How can we have a discussion about 80's movies and not mention some of the best, cheesy movies EVER!?!

Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, the Breakfast Club...just to name a few. Those movies are the epitomy of the 80's, they're AWESOME!!!
:D

inkspot said:
All time favorite: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Saw it so many times, had all the dialog memorized. Sad, sad, sad.

I am RIGHT with you there! I loved all three of those movies. One of my favorite parts was the one where he just shot the big sword-wielding guy.

lol, yup, and he was suppose to do a big fight scene with him, and apparently harrison was tired that day so he just did that, lol. They loved it and kept it.

Breakfast club of course. Now wizard of oz, now do you mean return to oz? The real wizard of oz is much much older.

tg

tgraveline said:
Now wizard of oz, now do you mean return to oz? The real wizard of oz is much much older.
I think inkspot was saying that ET was the wizard of oz for the 80s. ...but now that you mention it, Return to Oz is definitely an 80's highlight.

And of course we can't forget the little tv show that was so great it had as many as 6 episodes (too bad there wasn't more...) ..."Police Squad!" Those are hilarious.

Oh Police academy! I heard a nasty rumour that another one is being produced..oh dear.
Star Wars- obviously great. Indiana Jones- still fab after all this time!
Crocdile Dundee- also a work of genius, 2 wasn't bad either.
Also, the cheesy romcoms- Dirty Dancing, An Officer and a Gentlemen,

And who could forget, Ghostbusters!! (there are so many- all the war movies too...oh, and Spaceballs! (i'm getting a little over excited I think i need a lie down)

Hope96 said:
Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, the Breakfast Club...just to name a few. Those movies are the epitomy of the 80's, they're AWESOME!!! :D
You are right! And wasn't St. Elmo's Fire in that genre, in the 80's? I'm so lame, I cried during that one!!!

And Rosy brought up a good one, GhostBusters, plus one Bill Murray movie in the 80's that we Americans found hilarious: Stripes -- another one that couldn't have worked except in the Cold War. We got a lot of theatrical mileage out of the Cold War, come to think of it.

So WHB, Mr. I Wasn't Born Yet, now you have a list of DVD's to rent and get up to date on the 80's ... :rolleyes:

Dang straight, just look at james bond, but our bond ones in the 80s particularly timothy dalton sucked, so i didn't want to mention those, but the cold war created those and those were awesome.

tg

I feel the need to defend Timothy Dalton- he's far better than George 'just plain rubbish as bond' Lazenby, Roger' bit too smarmy for my liking' Moore and Sean 'look at me in the wrong way and I'll give you a slap' Connery.
Dalton rocked. And, IMHO, the best looking of the bunch too!

'Withnail and I' was another genius work of the 80's.

Aye thats a point - I have seen all the Jimmy Bond movies from the 80's and Indiana Jones...

I probs wouldnt wanna watch 80's movies tho - too much silver space suits and synthesiser music for my taste.

Rosy, there is a reason dalton did only two movies, he sucked so bad that even the brits felt he was stuck up. Seriously, roger moore was the best then connery, then brosnan, then dalton, then lazenby. Thats how it goes. Dalton is by far not the best looking. I would say either brosnan or connery had that going for him. We really need to talk about bond movies now, i'm quite the guru.

tg

Raiders Of The Loast Arc, Back To The Future, Batman, Police Academy, Crocodile Dundee 1 & 2, Vuk, The Fox The Hound, Legend, The Last Unicorn, Labyrinth, ET, Return To Oz, Bond, Pelle The Conquer, Karate Kid, Oliver & Company and so on...

tgraveline said:
Rosy, there is a reason dalton did only two movies, he sucked so bad that even the brits felt he was stuck up. Seriously, roger moore was the best then connery, then brosnan, then dalton, then lazenby. Thats how it goes. Dalton is by far not the best looking. I would say either brosnan or connery had that going for him. We really need to talk about bond movies now, i'm quite the guru.

tg

I agree with your order of best James Bonds. Notice also that Roger Moore was the only one that was actually English - hence why they shouldnt put people in who arent!!

Back