Aslan and Identity

N

Nimbolina

I just spent all of last night reading this book. I just couldn't put it down. I think that so far this one is my favorite. This book stands out to me because in this book the whole story was about discovery. The fact that each person were on this mission to discover something about themselves.

The part of the book that touched me the most was when Eustace was a dragon. I actually heard a speaker use this story as an example in his sermon. Eustace was a dragon and we find out that Aslan visited him and told him that in order for him to bathe in the pool he needs to take off his clothes. Eustace realizes that this might be the way for him to be human again so he starts scratching off all his scales yet each time he scratches off a layer of scales there is another one beneath it. Aslan then said "I need to take off your clothes." Aslan then deeply cut into him that Eustace felt great pain and Aslan removed the dragon skin for real. Aslan then clothed him in human clothes.

That scene was just perfect. I loved that it was told after it happened rather than live. Eustace had to go through this change alone without the other people witnessing it. I think about how we all need to have these personal encounters with God because it is then that we truly change.

The image of Aslan reaching and transforming Eustace was so powerful. Eustace's greed made him that creature and Eustace was not strong enough to heal himself. He would try and each time think he was successful but it always failed. I think of all the times I struggle with something and think I can solve it myself but always fail. Everyone needs help and it was true in the way help was given. The process will be painful but it will turn out wonderful in the end. Just as Aslan put the clothes back on Eustace, each person will be clothed again. Each person won't be left naked and in pain but renewed and refeshed for a new beginning.

Oh wow...it was just perfect and it was something I totally needed to read right now.

The whole book had so many little things about how Aslan places purpose in people's lives and helps them find themselves. He may not always be physically present but his presence will be known when needed. very cool.

I hope others will have something to add. Maybe something about Reepicheep the mouse or Prince Caspian or even the Duffers?

I have to agree with you Nimbolina. The Dawn Treader is one of my favourites because of the redemption theme. It seems that no matter how far you have fallen - even if you were turned into a dragon - you could still be healed. What do you think is the symbolic purpose of the sea of darkness and the man that was trapped there? Was he once lost, then found?

Goldwater Island is like when somthing is a curse in desguige and how reepicheep went away from it, while Caspian was pulled into the trick.

Liked the bit in the end where Aslan was a sheep. Actually this book was one of me fave's so I liked a lot of it but yea, the part where Eustace is cleansed by Aslan is really special and one of my favoritebits.

The part where Aslan strips Eustace of his dragon skin is wonderful. It also shows how, no matter how hard we try, there is no way we can accept God and change on our own. God is the one that calls us and changes us. A lot of people disagree, but no matter how you look at it, that's how it comes out.

That is so true. And yet, no matter how many times we come realize this in our hearts as well as in our heads, it's a lesson we have to learn over and over again:
You can't save yourself
Jesus paid the prize for your salvation
Accept it as a gift

You can't sanctify yourself
You got the Spirit of God freely in your heart
Let Him do the work

Reepicheep

As I asked the question in the Narnia and Christianity thread, I wonder if you all will agree that Reepicheep's bodily ascent into Aslan's country is a parallel of Elijah's ascent into heaven via a fiery chariot.

After all, Reepicheep was a stalwart warrior and defender of the belief in Aslan, never wavering.

What I find interesting is that Aslan doesn't say "only one of you can stay with me, the rest of you have to go back," instead he says something like "one of you must stay, and the others can leave." This leads me to think that it was a cost to whole redemption process within the book. But this idea is almost counter-intuitive because it seems like going to Aslan's country would be a reward, not a cost/price. Ideas?
________
Prince engine

Last edited:
Reepicheep was all for going; nothing was going to stop him.

Caspian desired to go as well, but it was Aslan that stopped him.

This kind of reminds me of Paul writing that he wished he could go to Heaven immediately but realized that he had more work to do before his time was up.

I'm new and hoping I'm doing this right!

I was touched by Nimbolina's take on Eustace's transformation in VDT. My teenage son is going through a difficult period right now. As I re-read VDT for the umpteenth time, I was struck by the similarities between Eustace and my son. My son has turned into a dragon, and I have only recently accepted this truth. The realization he will have to go though a painful and difficult process to become a "boy" again is starting to sink in thanks Lewis and Al-Anon meetings.

So anyway, thanks for helping me see this through someone else's eyes. I'm probaly not making much sense, but this has been more helpful than you can ever know.

Hang in there Trish

Trish, thanks for the great post. It is very tough to be close to someone going through a rough time like that, because there is really nothing you can do until they realize the need for change, and then THEY can't change themselves, but must rely on -- as they say -- a higher power for help. But I'll say a prayer for you and your dragon-boy. Don't worry, he is still in there and just needs God's help to get out. Hang in there.

VOTDT is my favorite book as well, and I love the Redemption scene, and all of the lessons that the entire team learns, like when they sail into the dark hole.

Reepicheep going into Aslan's country was by far my favourite part of the book. Either that, or when he jumped into the water and found it tasting sweet and everyone drank there fill. Reepicheep is my favourite character, even though I found myself annoyed with him at first, I began to love him and his dedication to Aslan and his dreams. Reepicheep being overfilled with joy as he floated away made me feel like a book has never before made me feel...maybe except the final paragraph in The last battle. Simply amazing.

Welcome, Reep 1707. I didn't see you post before. I feel the same as you about Reep's sailing away to Aslan's country, very fulfilling and exciting!

Check out the other threads and give us more of your interesting opinions -- and you can say "hello" to everyone in the INtroduction Thread if you like.

Back