Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Molly Hooper

• Anderson

• Other

• Total voters
Yeahhhh. It was delayed because of Martain Freeman - The Hobbit and Benedict Cumberbatch - Star Trek. The Hobbit was put on hold so Freeman could shoot the second series of Sherlock. So it's kind of only fair.

That last episode was INCREDIBLE!!! I've always loved Stephen Moffat's story lines (Like 'Blink' in Doctor Who), but he just topped them all in this one :D

Actually, this story line was pretty much an interpretation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's death of Sherlock.

I love how Moffat has aped the work of Doyle, almost exactly.. there are parts in each case where I'm left amazed that Doyle's Sherlock is so clear... The US series doesn't do nearly as good a job of this.

Actually, this story line was pretty much an interpretation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's death of Sherlock.

I love how Moffat has aped the work of Doyle, almost exactly.. there are parts in each case where I'm left amazed that Doyle's Sherlock is so clear... The US series doesn't do nearly as good a job of this.

I love their little references to the original stories. It gives me hope for my world that people that brilliant really do exist.:p

Oops, sorry, I really meant the screen play and stuff... That's good he goes by Doyle's work- are the books a good read? I'm kinda bent on trying them out but not sure if i'll like them... are they kinda like 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide' type setting because i really liked that book :D

Oops, sorry, I really meant the screen play and stuff... That's good he goes by Doyle's work- are the books a good read? I'm kinda bent on trying them out but not sure if i'll like them... are they kinda like 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide' type setting because i really liked that book :D

You should read them. Read them now. They are even more brilliant when you tie them into Sherlock. I was lucky enough to own a book of short stories that the Sherlock episodes were based on and I read them both at the same time. Study in Scarlet, Scandal in Bohemia and The Final Problem, are a few of the most incredibly well tied in ones I've read. (Study in Pink, Scandal in Belgravia, The REICHENBACH FALL. That last one is my favorite. I can't get over how epic that is.:p)
Well, I'm sure that if they lived in the same part of London (I think Jekyll and Hyde was set in London....) Holmes would have loved to able to investigate what was wrong with Jekyll. xD

I watched the Pilot last year but never watched any further but since yesterday I have watched 4 episodes in a row. I like this show and I like the Moffat touch to it. I can't wait to see the other two episodes of Season 2! I only wonder why they made only three episodes. Maybe because it is movie length?

Originally there was meant to be six half an hour long episodes but an executive somewhere changed it to an hour and a half. But that's why there are only three as they take so long to shoot etc.

They have started filming season three! I am so excited :)

Love this!

I just started watching this on my Kindle a few weeks ago -- free streaming with Amazon Prime. Of course it didn't take me long to watch all the existing episodes. There appear to be only six? That's crazy to make only 3 episodes per season.

Anyway, I love both the main actors, John and Sherlock. They are both in movies right now, right? Benedict was in the latest Star Trek (and did an amazing job) and Martin is Bilbo in The Hobbit, I think? They are both really good in their roles on Sherlock. Love them.

And I love that Moffat from Dr. Who is the producer. You can see little Dr Who type touches all over the program ... it's delightful. I am anxiously looking forward to season 3. When is it coming? And will "The Empty Hearse" be referring to Sherlock's resurrection?

Now I have to tell you that during the Reichenbach Fall episode, I stopped watching when that little girl started screaming when she saw Sherlock. I could tell what was about to happen, and I couldn't stand it. I skipped ahead to Moriarty and Sherlock on the roof. It was easy enough to piece together what had happened -- about what I expected to happen. :(

But here is what I am wondering: at any point in the part that I skipped, did anyone explain the "final problem" that Moriarty referenced that day he had tea with Sherlock in Baker Street? He said he had told Sherlock the final problem, and did Sherlock get it or remember ... but Sherlock never said.

What was the final problem he was talking about?

I just started watching this on my Kindle a few weeks ago -- free streaming with Amazon Prime. Of course it didn't take me long to watch all the existing episodes. There appear to be only six? That's crazy to make only 3 episodes per season.

Anyway, I love both the main actors, John and Sherlock. They are both in movies right now, right? Benedict was in the latest Star Trek (and did an amazing job) and Martin is Bilbo in The Hobbit, I think? They are both really good in their roles on Sherlock. Love them.

And I love that Moffat from Dr. Who is the producer. You can see little Dr Who type touches all over the program ... it's delightful. I am anxiously looking forward to season 3. When is it coming? And will "The Empty Hearse" be referring to Sherlock's resurrection?

Now I have to tell you that during the Reichenbach Fall episode, I stopped watching when that little girl started screaming when she saw Sherlock. I could tell what was about to happen, and I couldn't stand it. I skipped ahead to Moriarty and Sherlock on the roof. It was easy enough to piece together what had happened -- about what I expected to happen. :(

But here is what I am wondering: at any point in the part that I skipped, did anyone explain the "final problem" that Moriarty referenced that day he had tea with Sherlock in Baker Street? He said he had told Sherlock the final problem, and did Sherlock get it or remember ... but Sherlock never said.

What was the final problem he was talking about?

Benedict also plays in the Hobbit--he plays the Dragon, Smaug, I believe. And a necromancer.

As far as the "final problem" goes I am not sure. I need to re-watch in order to tell you.

The 3 episodes per season (each being an hour and a half long or whatever) is because they weren't sure how the show would be accepted so they made them longer...I think that's what my cousin said.

Thanks Des! So now the show is a hit, isn't it? I hope they will make more episodes for season 3! Do we know how Sherlock survived? I've also been curious how he saved his "girlfriend" in that other episode -- and convinced Mycroft that she was dead.

I love all these characters even more than I loved them in Conan Doyle's original books.

Spoilers.

The Final Problem was Arthur Conan Doyle's attempt to kill off Sherlock and Moriarty. Doyle thought that Sherlock was .. juvenile, and inane, and blocking his attempts at serious writing. (Says something for how writing has changed, that people now study Sherlock as if it were serious.)

The Final Problem wasn't something Sherlock faced, so much as something the writer faced. He wanted out... and the only way out was to kill Sherlock Holmes for good.

It didn't work. The readers ate it up, and Doyle wrote a story earlier in Sherlock's life, and then another where he revived the sociopathic drug addicted singular purpose highly functioning autistic detective.

Oh, I see. The "final problem" in Conan Doyle's work was Conan Doyle's problem: to get rid of Sherlock! So do you think that is Moriarty's problem, too, in the TV series? When he and Sherlock talked beside the pool in the season one Moriarty episode, he did say he had to get Sherlock out of the way, or he wanted to stop Sherlock from getting in his way, something like that. Maybe the scriptwriters wanted to draw the parallel between Conan Doyle's "final problem" and Moriarty's final problem: getting rid of Sherlock.

Sherlock is a great series - one of the best in years! :D

It's a shame Arthur grew to resent his Sherlock character, as he really is -one of- the best fictional characters of any novel, in my opinion.

Back