The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > Christianity and Narnia

Notices

Christianity and Narnia The Allegory of the Chronicles of Narnia (Religion and Narnia Discussions)

Old 01-29-2017, 08:25 AM

Hermit of Archenland will become famous soon enough
Default Talking Animals becoming dumb beasts

I think Ginger the cat in the Last Battle is the only example we see in the books of a Talking Animal becoming dumb, although in Prince Caspian it's mentioned that many of the Talking Beasts have gone wild and become dumb.

What I'm wondering is what happens to the soul of the Talking Beast in such circumstances. Does it just cease to exist? If so that would mean that Talking Beasts don't have an 'immortal soul' in the way humans do. That doesn't really square with The Magicians Nephew where the Talking Beasts have the same role in the Narnian Creation as humans do in Genesis. Perhaps we might say when a Talking Beast becomes dumb it's soul is automatically damned.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:08 PM

WarriorSatyr will become famous soon enoughWarriorSatyr will become famous soon enough

Ginger is the only animal we see become dumb, but I'm pretty sure some bear is mentioned in "The Horse and His Boy" that has become dumb. If I recall correctly, Cor punched it out.

No real thoughts on what happens to the animal's soul when it becomes dumb, though. I haven't really thought that much about it.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorSatyr View Post
Ginger is the only animal we see become dumb, but I'm pretty sure some bear is mentioned in "The Horse and His Boy" that has become dumb. If I recall correctly, Cor punched it out.
"The Lapsed Bear of Stormness." Yes.

I'm inclined to agree that a talking animal's becoming dumb is probably an equivalent of damnation, but I also doubt that Lewis thought it out thoroughly. Dumbness is mentioned in TMN as a natural consequence for Talking Beasts who were guilty of wrongdoing, which would fit in with Lewis's views on hell.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:54 PM

Lucy Fan will become famous soon enough

I think Aslan briefly mentions in The Magician's Nephew as he is transforming some of the animals into talking animals he states that if they ever went back to their dumb animal ways they would transform back into dumb animals. I know it wasn't said like that exactly, but I hope you guys get what I mean.

I feel like the soul of the animal would still be there, but they can only express their version of talking through their animal sound if they are considered a dumb animal.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:42 PM

WarriorSatyr will become famous soon enoughWarriorSatyr will become famous soon enough

I don't know. Remember when Ginger went dumb in The Last Battle? The other animals thought he was just freaking out /until they saw in his eyes/ that he was a dumb animal. That seriously implies that there is some mental change.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:21 PM

Lucy Fan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorSatyr View Post
I don't know. Remember when Ginger went dumb in The Last Battle? The other animals thought he was just freaking out /until they saw in his eyes/ that he was a dumb animal. That seriously implies that there is some mental change.
Yes, that's a good point.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Friend of Narnia

CORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura about

Aslan is truly merciful, so maybe Ginger and others, who did such bad things that they lost the ability to speak, would be judged not only on their previous wickedness, but also on how they subsequently conducted themselves. I don't know, I'm just speculating.