Who knew C. S. Lewis

The purpose of the thread is explained in the first post. That's the intent of the thread as stated by the thread starter. If the posts pertain to that in some way, then the posts are "on topic". If they veer away from the stated intention of the thread, then they're off topic. Threads where the discussion veers sharply and permanently away from the intention are called "hijacked", and can be closed down for that reason. Members who don't refrain from hijacking threads are warned, and can ultimately be banned for bad forum behaviour.

Again, if you want to know what this thread is about, refer to the initial post. Please keep all posts on or near that topic.

With the 50th anniversary of Lewis' death this year, seems like everyone is saying they knew Lewis or say that this person was a friend of Lewis. A list of people that Lewis knew seems to go on forever. I thought a thread on who were some of the real friends of Lewis would be interesting. We can also talk about people who are just hanging on. If you want to know some of the people that can be talked about, there are:

JRR Tolkien
H. G. Wells
Winston Churchill
Owen Barfield
Roger Lancelyn Green
Charles Williams
Walter Hooper
J I Packer
Joy Davidman
Douglas Gresham
Jane Moore
George Sayer
Warnie Lewis
Hugo Dyson
George Orwell
Elizabeth Anscombe

What about Sheldon Vanauken, the Author of a Severe Mercy? I didn't know about him until recently.

I would be happy to explain my thread again. I thought it would be interesting to have a thread to talk about some of the people who knew Lewis. Lewis' legacy is so much bigger now than when he died, and so many people have shared how they knew Lewis over the years, like Lil Princess said about Sheldon Vanauken. So this gives a chance to share how this or that person was involved in Lewis' life. And then I gave a very much incomplete list of people who knew Lewis in varying degree, so we could talk about them to start with and then add more, like when JtW added W.B. Yeats.:D

Last edited:
I actually knew Sheldon Vanauken! We had a chance to meet after he graciously wrote a blurb for my book. We chatted about what it was like to study under Lewis. I visited his home in Lynchburg.

He actually had one of my Charles Williams books when he died in 1996, so I never got that back (I got another copy).

Only in a detached sense - I've been reading Narnia since I was 8 years old (over 45 years ago), and his other works for my entire adult life. He's been critical to forming my thought and world view. But I was 5 when he died, and I've never been to England.

My late friend Sheldon Vanauken, who wrote A Severe Mercy and Under the Mercy, did study under Lewis, and knew him personally as a friend. I got to know Van in the 1990s, and corresponded with him regularly until he passed away in 1996.

Sorry to spring into the thread without a direct response to the question.(Admittedly as I read further I forgot what the thread was about!)

Maybe when that Lewis movie comes out this year we will be talking more about the Lewis-Churchill relationship.

There's a Lewis film coming out? Interesting... :)

It was nice to know that an American was PM of England during WWII.

???!

I was talking about The Lion Awakes which I think is coming out soon. It deals with the BBC radio broadcasts during WW2 by Lewis.
And the mother of Churchill was an American.

There are a lot of people who have had an influence on Lewis and all of us have been influenced by Lewis. But did they or we ever meet Lewis? I wanted a thread about the people whom Lewis came in contact with. I even allowed for hanger oners. But hey Lewis did meet George MacDonald in The Great Divorce.

Only in a detached sense - I've been reading Narnia since I was 8 years old (over 45 years ago), and his other works for my entire adult life. He's been critical to forming my thought and world view. But I was 5 when he died, and I've never been to England.

My late friend Sheldon Vanauken, who wrote A Severe Mercy and Under the Mercy, did study under Lewis, and knew him personally as a friend. I got to know Van in the 1990s, and corresponded with him regularly until he passed away in 1996.

Sorry I have never heard of Sheldon Vanauken.

Sorry to spring into the thread without a direct response to the question.(Admittedly as I read further I forgot what the thread was about!)

There's a Lewis film coming out? Interesting... :)

???!

I have never heard of a film comming out either the only one I know of was the one with Anton Rodgers in it.

There are a lot of people who have had an influence on Lewis and all of us have been influenced by Lewis. But did they or we ever meet Lewis? I wanted a thread about the people whom Lewis came in contact with. I even allowed for hanger oners. But hey Lewis did meet George MacDonald in The Great Divorce.

Did George MacDonald die in 1905?

I was making a joke, because Inkspot was wanting to expand the thread beyond People who knew Lewis fo Who influenced Lewis. Loosen up JtW.

I was making a joke, because Inkspot was wanting to expand the thread beyond People who knew Lewis fo Who influenced Lewis. Loosen up JtW.

Sorry but according to Potw McDoland did influence his life, as a reborn christian, and I am only going by what PotW's Book he recomended as he recomendes to every one.

Back