The Hobbit part 1 comes out tomorrow. So excited!

For me, it comes out in late August, because that's probably the earliest I could get it. Because y'know, I'm going to Europe and can't spend any money. Unless I cave and buy it. Or my parents actually buy it and give it to me for my birthday.

However, I may be able to buy the Hobbit book in Spanish.:D:p

I saw it at walgreens drug store yesterday! But it was $22.99 -- I can hardly spend that much for a DVD. I will have to wait for a sale on Amazon ... I really want to see it again though!

I agree with that assessment -- but glad you liked the film! I can't wait to get the DVD and watch it again!

I've decided to not get the DVD now and hold out for the Extended Edition later. It's an excersie in patience but it's well worth it to me.

Actually, a press release from WB did say there will be an Extended Edition durring the fourth quearter of 2013 ( that would be around the Holiday season).

Yah I was wondering about an EE too. I may wait as well -- probably I can rent the movie on NetFlix or Amazon instant video and watch it once before the EE comes out and then buy the EE rather than the edition just released.

The official teaser trailer for The Desolation of Smaug has finally arrived!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcCK55ZnoKM

Personally, I'm more excited at seeing Legolas and his daddy side by side than I am about Smaug himself. Even though I know Leggy isn't in the book. :D

Oh, and into the whole topic of the dvd vs. EE: I bought the blu-ray/DVD combo pack, and was very disappointed by the special features. I mean, even the LotR 2 disc DVDs had really good special features, but all the features for Hobbit are the 10 video blogs that Peter Jackson made during the filming and premiere. Boo. :( Once Desolation of Smaug comes out, I will probably wait for the EE. If there is going to be a Hobbit EE, I might put it on my Christmas list and give my dad the pack I have now; he isn't into all the special features for movies.

Last edited:
Woo - Hobbit!

Legolas with that female elf made me groan inwardly a tad. Please not an unnecessary, silly love-interest thing going on! Also the blue elf eyes seemed to have extra shine in them this time. o_0

But generally I am happy to see this film, though I can wait out the months. :)

I love the trailer -- and I love seeing Legolas again! Yay!

I agree with Sr Cabbage -- I hope that's not a made-up romance for Legolas with the lady elf. I like their being another woman in the story, but we don't need a copycat Arwen/Aragorn thing going on.

I am also excited about Gandalf's defeat of the Necromancer. Can't wait.

I doubt they will have a romance going on. I imagine Evangeline Lilly's character is there to appease female fans. Maybe there will be some flirtation, but I don't see it going any further than that. Have y'all seen the reaction video on YouTube? It's Lee Pace (Thranduil), Orlando Bloom (Legolas) and Evangeline Lilly (whatever her character's name is) reactions to some fan reactions of the trailer. Just YouTube "happy Elves" and it should come up with the result. ;) It's pretty cute.

The one thing that kinda bugs me about the Elves in the trailer is their movement. It just seems so fake and unworldly. This is one complaint I have about these movies so far is their increased reliance on special effects and digital renderings instead of old-fashioned special effects as with LotR. I felt like LotR didn't have the sheen that these movies do, which may be why they're being so criticized by critics. I dunno. Just my opinion.

I may be in the minority but I was glad that they only showed a brief snippet of Smaug. I hope they can keep it that way until December. I want to be amazed and surprised when I see the dragon for the first time. Like,I don't even want to see a Happy Meal Toy.

I know its's impossible in 2013 but I guy can dream.

:D I saw the hobbit commercial early in the morning and I was fine in till Smaug came out, then I scared everyone one in the house cause I was so excited. ;) (I sorta overreacted.)

I forgot to mention Smaug! I wasn't disappointed how he looks thus far. Seemed a little similar to how he looks on the cover of my book copy (possibly the original? not sure).

It's interesting what is said about having the lady elf to appease women/girls watching the film, as I've always been the type of girl who isn't bothered by that. If there isn't many female characters in the book then I don't have the expectations that there must be for the film. I tend to find male characters more interesting, anyway. :D

Last edited:
I forgot to mention Smaug! I wasn't disappointed how he looks thus far. Seemed a little similar to how he looks on the cover of my book copy (possibly the original? not sure).

It's interesting what is said about having the lady elf to appease women/girls watching the film, as I've always been the type of girl who isn't bothered by that. If there isn't many female characters in the book then I don't have the expectations that there must be for the film. I tend to find male characters more interesting, anyway. :D

Unfortunately you have a large majority of females who think that there has to be a woman in EVERYTHING in order for them to like it. Equal opportunity and all that. :rolleyes: Personally it doesn't bother me if there isn't a woman in something I like...

I think adding a female elf is all right, just so long as she's not sooo important that she changes the story entirely.

I too saw the teaser trailer for the Hobbit 2, but I didn't like the look of Smaug as much. :(

On one hand, it's true that the tough-chick thing has been WAY, WAY overdone. Like Merida in "Brave": the invention of that character has got girls in the audience believing that the ability to AIM accurately is ALL an archer needs, ignoring the need for STRENGTH. Any late-medieval knight in plate armor would have laughed off all the arrows Merida shot at him.

On the other hand, Mister Tolkien WAS a bit misogynistic; his narrative in "The Hobbit" seemed to go out of its way NOT to depict ANY female characters onstage. I have no objection to correcting this imbalance, EVEN IF it involves having at least one tough-chick Elf-maid.

Good for you Joseph! :)

I agree on both counts. I'm over the media presentation of the tough girl as somehow novel ... and I don't mind the addition of a strong woman in The Hobbit as long as she doesn't damage the story-line.

Back