"Since they were to come in the days of the power of Melkor, Aule made the dwarves strong to endure. Therefore they are stone hard, fast in friendship and enmity, and they suffer toil and hunger and hurt of body more hardily than any other speaking peoples." - The Silmarillion, by Tolkien.

The dwarves would have been quite capable of knocking a few orc heads together, even if they were tired. They probably would've enjoyed it, actually.....

You're right again, Mozart. Which is also the reason why I resented the movie of "The Two Towers" for saying that Gimli would have MORE difficulty running long distance than either Legolas or Aragorn.

But it is not too late for Mr. Jackson to make amends for his INEXCUSABLE blunder concerning Thorin. They could have a rematch in the second film, in which Thorin has "figured out Azog's style," or something like that, so this time Thorin wins, and Azog needs to have someone save HIM.

Now that I've seen Hobbit 1, I just read the posts with spoilers. Thanks for your insights; since I don't like violence I spent a lot of my time in the theater with my eyes shut just listening to sounds of combat. So reading your reviews helped me understand the film better, and I now want to look at the appendices in LOTR so I can make better sense of the insertions.

The Riddle Scene was masterfully done though. Gollum/Smeagol was amazing!

Now that I've seen Hobbit 1, I just read the posts with spoilers. Thanks for your insights; since I don't like violence I spent a lot of my time in the theater with my eyes shut just listening to sounds of combat. So reading your reviews helped me understand the film better, and I now want to look at the appendices in LOTR so I can make better sense of the insertions.

Yes it was! I really enjoyed it. I thought it was visually done well. I enjoyed the Gollum and Bilbo scene, but thought it could've gone on a little longer. I remember it being longer in the book. Or it could've been because I first read it when I was kid and it seemed longer than. I loved the cliffhanging ending of showing a little bit of Smaug. The beginning was great to. Seeing Bilbo and Frodo together was brilliant. I'm looking forward to the final two parts. The fighting was amazing. It was scary in some parts, but it would be a more interesting film for kids than taking them to see Les Mis like some parents did when I saw it.

Yes, I really enjoyed the Riddle Scene. I thought that Andy Serkis played up the schizophrenic part of Gollum really well. Even better than in Lotr.

Fun fact: Neil Finn who performs "The Song of the Lonely Mountain" for the end credits of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the younger brother of Tim Finn who performs "Winter Light" for the end credits of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

Fun fact: Neil Finn who performs "The Song of the Lonely Mountain" for the end credits of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the younger brother of Tim Finn who performs "Winter Light" for the end credits of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
That's kind of cool! :)

Is Hobbit still in cinema? Things went haywire in my house in December, and I only got to see it the one time. I would like to go again now ... but wasn't sure if it were still around. Anyone go see it lately?

The Hobbit still is in cinemas.
Excellent. I will try to go see it again ... not sure my hubbie will sit through it again though; not a Tolkien fanatic like me. Here is something funny though -- this Sunday at church a trumpet solor was a mash-up of the old hymn "This Is My Father's Word" and "He's Got the Whole World," but when it started with the opening notes of Father's World, it wounded just like the opening notes of the Shire theme from LOTR films. When we left church I started to tell my husband that solo sounded like --

"The Lord of the Rings!" he said. I have made him watch the films so many times, plus we went to that symphony production with the live sound track, that he knows the songs as well. Cracked me up. :)

Excellent. I will try to go see it again ... not sure my hubbie will sit through it again though; not a Tolkien fanatic like me. Here is something funny though -- this Sunday at church a trumpet solor was a mash-up of the old hymn "This Is My Father's Word" and "He's Got the Whole World," but when it started with the opening notes of Father's World, it wounded just like the opening notes of the Shire theme from LOTR films. When we left church I started to tell my husband that solo sounded like --

"The Lord of the Rings!" he said. I have made him watch the films so many times, plus we went to that symphony production with the live sound track, that he knows the songs as well. Cracked me up. :)

Cool! I'm taking a Tolkien Early works course after the class that I'm in now, and The Hobbit is one of the books were going to read. I'm really excited about it!

I told my husband yesterday that if I wanted to see it in cinema again, I had to go soon because it had already been out for a month. He said he thought the film itself went on for a month! :)

I've re-read the book since I last saw it and I really can't wait for the next two parts! The Mirkwood scenes, the barrel scene, more with the necromancer and with the dragon! oooh! can't wait!

Since all Tolkieners already know that the Necromancer and Sauron are one and the same person, I wonder how the follow-on movies will handle that. It would be closest to the books if the good guys, even Gandalf, REMAIN UNAWARE of the Necromancer's true identity until "Fellowship of the Ring."

Since all Tolkieners already know that the Necromancer and Sauron are one and the same person, I wonder how the follow-on movies will handle that. It would be closest to the books if the good guys, even Gandalf, REMAIN UNAWARE of the Necromancer's true identity until "Fellowship of the Ring."

I agree! If Gandalf vanquishes the Necromancer, and yet knows that he will return and cause more grief as Sauron, it will sort of look like a lame effort. But we will have to wait and see how they handle it.

Now, they could have JUST SARUMAN beginning to suspect who the Necromancer is, yet NOT TELLING the other Wizards. This would become foreshadowing of Saruman's corruption.

Now, they could have JUST SARUMAN beginning to suspect who the Necromancer is, yet NOT TELLING the other Wizards. This would become foreshadowing of Saruman's corruption.
Yes! Because he already seems kind of obstructionist and overly cautious in the movie that just came out, so it would be in character if they did that.

Back