Favourite Book Quotes

TheGardener

What are your favourite quotes from books? primarily the Narnia series, but you can bring in quotes from other series as well, LOTR etc.

I already love this thread! Thank you!

One of my favorite quotes is from George MacDonald's Lilith.

I owed each moment of life to the staring moon. Though hers was no primal radiance, it so hampered the evil things, that I walked in safety. For light is yet light, if but the last of a countless series of reflections!

I remember because I was reading the book at night in my rocking chair during a period where I suffered from insomnia, and I immediately thought, I like this sentence!

This is one that always comes up for me. From my second favorite book of all time, The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton.

Because I am afraid of him, and no man should leave in the universe anything of which he is afraid.

I think I could probably list Chesterton's entire Ballad of the White Horse as a favorite quote.

In lieu of that, this from Aeschylus:

“Zeus, who guided men to think,
who has laid it down that wisdom
comes alone through suffering.
Still there drips in sleep against the heart
grief of memory; against
our will temperance comes.
From the gods who sit in grandeur
grace is somehow violent.”

Love the idea of this thread. I don't have any favorite Narnia quotes off the top of my head. But this Dumbledore quote from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is one of my favorites from that series:
After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

Honestly, there are a lot of other Dumbledore quotes that I love, because they are so hope inspiring.

In Wings by Terry Pratchett
"'You may be interested to know' it said, 'that we've broken the sound barrier.' ... 'All right, own up,' he said. 'Who broke it?'"

+JMJ

For my favorite, see the top quote of my signature. A close second would be from the exchange between Gandalf and Frodo in "The Fellowship of the Ring," ch. 2, The Shadow of the Past (This corresponds to the conversation they have in the film deep in the Mines of Moria):

'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo.

'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

'What a pity that Bilbo did not stab that vile creature, when he had a chance!'

'Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.'

'. . . He deserves death.'

'Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it. And he is bound up with the fate of the Ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end; and when that comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many – yours not least.'

Last edited:
Lotr and Narnia both have too many good quotes. But here's one from magician's nephew
"The trouble with trying to make yourself more stupid than you actually are, is that you very often succeed."

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but had to add
"May it please your High Majesty, we are all waiting to cut off our own tails if our Chief must go without his."

Back