The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > The Inklings

Notices

The Inklings The best-known members of the group were C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and Charles Williams.

View Poll Results: Vanyar, Noldor, or Teleri?
Vanyar--Favorite of Manwe and Varda 1 6.67%
Noldor--Known for wisdom and invention 9 60.00%
Teleri (Sea-elves) Known for song and as builders of ships 3 20.00%
Teleri (Sindar)--Remained in Beleriand under Thingol and Melian 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2017, 02:24 PM

WarriorSatyr will become famous soon enoughWarriorSatyr will become famous soon enough

I read it. It's something of a rite of passage for Tolkien fans. Actually, I'm about due for a re-read...

The Silmarillion is really sad, though. Reading it, you get a sense that Middle Earth is irreparably broken.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to allGlenburne is a name known to all

Reading LotR after reading the Sil. becomes considerably more depressing. Still love both, though.

He marked the wood and the cloven ways
With an old captain's eyes,
And he thought how many a time had he
Sought to see Doom he could not see;
How ruin had come and victory,
And both were a surprise.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Friend of Narnia

Lady of Narnia will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorSatyr View Post
I read it. It's something of a rite of passage for Tolkien fans. Actually, I'm about due for a re-read...

The Silmarillion is really sad, though. Reading it, you get a sense that Middle Earth is irreparably broken.
That was something that I really loved about it; the overarching theme of the world being broken. It gave the whole story a bittersweet kind of feeling, and it reminded me a lot of how things are in our world. It's broken and messed up and things won't really be fixed until the world is remade.

I always felt really sad at the end of Lord of the Rings when the elves and Gandalf left, but now having read the Silmarillion that ending has such a bigger impact for me. Again, comparing the themes of the book to the real world, we can have victories over evil and lots of good things happen, but the really and truly ultimate victory of good over evil has yet to happen. We're still waiting for that day.

Maybe that was what really excited me about the book; the way it got me to think about the real world and (as a Christian) my hopeful expectance of the day when God will put everything right again.

My Society6 shop: http://society6.com/AliceHanson
My Tumblr: http://alicekingsleigh93.tumblr.com/

Official Note-Taker of the IA
Old 11-09-2017, 03:29 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady of Narnia View Post
I reread it this year and fell absolutely in love... However, I know almost no one who has read it.. and even fewer who read it and enjoyed it.

And I really want to discuss it with people! I think I like it more than the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Maybe that makes me weird.. Does that make me weird? I don't care.

Have any of ya'll read The Silmarillion? Any thoughts or opinions on it?
Hi Lady of Narnia--
I merged your thread with two older threads on The Silmarillion all together so you can enjoy what others have said about it. I have read it but it's been a while; all I can remember was how much I loved the tale of Beren and Lúthien, how beautiful the description of the two trees was, how wickedly evil Morgoth and his ilk were, and how sad parts of it were. To me, this book had more of a mythic feel to it.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus