The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia > The Horse and His Boy

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit of Archenland View Post
What we need to constantly remind ourselves is that Lewis was not writing allegory in the strictest sense of the word. There is no simple correspondence between things in the Narnian world and our world. Narnia and Archenland are not meant to 'represent' medieval Europe, nor does Calormen 'represent' the medieval Islamic Empire. They are unique creations that only represent themselves. In HHB for example Narnia is contrasted with Calormen in that in Narnia 'no maiden is compelled to marry against her will.' But such practices were common in medieval Europe and continued right up to the Victorian age. Lewis is not trying to whitewash the past as some have claimed because Narnia was never intended to represent anything in our world, Rather it is his vision of what an ideal Christian (or its otherworldly equivalent) society might be like.

Well said!

Anyone poking around in the TDL archives should be able to find the link to my own fanfic novel of the early Narnian world. There I offer my own concept of how Calormenes might have come to be.

Meanwhile, in the real world, though Christian-based civilization took a long time to renounce forced marriage, the ISLAMIC world still routinely practices it RIGHT NOW.

Last edited by Copperfox; 09-06-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Thanks Hermit for your insights.
(Plus you referenced ♥E. Nesbit♥ in your post!
I love her children's novels especially her fantasies and tales of faerie -- as apparently Lewis did too, since he referenced her Treasure Seekers at the beginning of Magician's Nephew)

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 09-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Hermit of Archenland will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benisse View Post
Thanks Hermit for your insights.
(Plus you referenced ♥E. Nesbit♥ in your post!
I love her children's novels especially her fantasies and tales of faerie -- as apparently Lewis did too, since he referenced her Treasure Seekers at the beginning of Magician's Nephew)
I love Nesbit's books too. Actually the book I referred to was actually called The Story of the Amulet, rather than just The Amulet. Sorry about that!
I still vividly remember a BBC production of The Phoenix and the Carpet, shown on Sunday teatime when I was a child. Sadly, the BBC doesn't seem to do that sort of production anymore.

To get back on topic, I don't think the accusations of racism against Lewis will stop any time soon. Frankly I'm sceptical that some of the people making such a claim even believe it themselves, but as one of the best known Christian apologists of recent times Lewis is too tempting a target to resist