The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > The Socratic Club

Notices

The Socratic Club A club that Lewis founded at Oxford. A forum devoted to general philosophical and spiritual discussion

Old 04-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyofOz View Post
Today I learned that "Agnus Dei, qui tolis peccata mundi," during Lent is the
"Lamb of God, who take away sins of world" song. Obviously I wasn't raised Catholic.
The "tolis" is directly related to the English word "toll," which also refers to taking.

Meanwhile, Palm Sunday is a good day to reconcile a supposed self-contradiction in the Bible.

Matthew's account of the Hosanna parade shows TWO animals being borrowed, but Luke's account mentions only one. Those who WANT the Bible to be without authority will pounce on this as an inconsistency. But unless Jesus took it into His head to be a rodeo trick rider, He would not in any case be RIDING ON two donkeys at once. I believe that Luke was not contradicting Matthew; he simply was only concerned to tell about the donkey that ACTUALLY CARRIED Our Lord. To say, "Jesus's disciples borrowed this donkey" is not a categorical statement that no other animal was borrowed. If Luke only happened to hear about the donkey that was directly ridden, his telling about this does not make Matthew untrue.

I believe there were two donkeys, of which one was not an adult beast. And I believe there was a reason for the younger donkey to tag along with its mother. I believe God planned this as A VISUAL CUE for the onlookers: an unspoken message-flag to remind them of the Hebrew poetic redundancy in the phrase: "--riding on a donkey, and on a colt the foal of a donkey."
Old 04-12-2017, 06:55 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Thanks Timmy and Copperfox for your thoughtful comments...

As for me, this weekend will be an opportunity for me to reach out to others. Good Friday my family is hosting a sign language potluck (with a "finger food" theme!) before Good Friday worship, so my friends from my ASL meet-up can maybe choose to come with me to the worship service after we eat and practice ASL in a conversational setting.

On Sunday I have invited a friend who is showing a glimmer of spiritual interest to bring her children to church... I hope she comes. She said she would visit 2 weeks ago, but never showed up.

Later on Easter, we have invited my niece and her boyfriend to dinner (and maybe some friends who don't have family locally). I hope God opens opportunities for Jesus to shine through our conversation without putting anyone on the spot...
Thanks for your prayers.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 04-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Good for you, Benisse. I cherish memories of people who hosted me on holidays when I had noplace to go.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:13 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

With some friends on the Internet during Lent I have been doing Bible study through John 13-17, the discourse Jesus had with his disciples at the Last Supper and then one the way to Gethsemane. Then we exchange our notes via Internet. That way we can enjoy long distance fellowship and sharing with each other. It's just us and the Bible, no study guides, workbooks or videos, and we have been following a simple template: P-R-A-Y:

P-ray: Talk to God before and throughout your study. Praise and worship God. Confess your sins. Ask for the Holy Spirit's help to understand your text.

R-ead: Read the chapter assigned

A-sk: Ask questions and write your answers according to what the Bible says.

Y-our application: Apply what you learned to your life today.

---------------------------
As an example, here are my notes from John 14:
P-ray...

R-ead & A-sk
To me, this discourse between Jesus and his disciples was more like a planetary system with key ideas and concepts orbiting around the Son of God: Believe… Know …. Promises… Love/obey…

So instead of a traditional linear outline, I am grouping key ideas together:
1. Believe/Know
• believing in God/Jesus = the antidote to troubling thoughts or burdens (v1)
• He is the way the truth and the life, and the only way to the Father. (v6)
• He is God, and has demonstrated his oneness with the Father through speaking God’s truth and performing miracles (vv7, 9-11)
• He foretold his going away to the Father before it happened so that afterwards the disciples would be strengthened in their faith in him and know it was not Satan who got the upper hand (vv28-30)

2. Promises to hang on to in the face of fear and trouble:
• He is preparing a place for me in heaven, and will come back and take me to be with him. (vv2-3)
• He never abandons us like orphans; he comes to us through the Holy Spirit, another Counselor, and surrounds us with his presence and love. (vv16-21)
• The Spirit will teach us all things and remind us of all Jesus has said to us. (v26)
• He gives us true peace unlike the poor substitute that the world gives (v27)
• If you have faith in Jesus, you to will do the works of Jesus, and even greater ones for he is going to the Father.(v12)
• When we pray in Jesus’ name, he will do it (v13-14)

3. Love/obey
• love and obedience go hand in hand, and if you truly love God (obeying the commands you have from God) vv15,23-24
• Jesus is our example in showing how he loved and obeyed the Father (v31)

4. Questions:
• What does Jesus mean when he says “the Father is greater than I” (v28)?
• In verse 31 it sounds like Jesus and the disciples are leaving the room where they had the last supper. So where does the discourse in chapters 15 and 16 take place? Was he continuing to talk to the disciples as they walked to Gethsemane?

Y-our Application
This chapter was a conversation between Jesus and his closest eleven followers, and I so appreciated Jesus’ gentleness and patience with them. His loving reminders, redirections, and responses really encourage me because it shows me it is okay not to understand, and that it is okay to honestly go to Jesus with my confusion. It also reminds me that when I am troubled and feeling scared or abandoned I can cling to God’s promises – and I can freely ask him what is bothering me. I can commit my burdens to him for he is with me, in me, and loves me. And he will teach me the truth, show me the way, and restore my soul with his amazing life.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu

Old 04-15-2017, 02:53 PM
Friend of Narnia

There's never an Easter season without somebody claiming that the Resurrection was unnecessary. There seem to be two main versions of this claim:

1) Jesus is indeed still alive, but because He is a spirit, He no longer needed the body He had used on Earth; He just went directly to Heaven, did not pass Go.

2) Jesus isn't even alive at all, but that's okay, because His disciples had warm fuzzy memories of Him, and that's good enough.

Number Two there is really full of, well, number two. Since when is actual eternal life in a Heaven full of love LESS appealing than an impersonal, hopeless universe where death has the last word? That is so absurd that it hardly needs comment, so I'll move on to Number One.

It is perfectly true that God COULD HAVE planned the Incarnation of His Second Person in such a way that He could simply bail out of the mortal body once it died. But if He had done it this way, His work of redemption would not have been as thorough as He meant it to be.

Jesus came to Earth to serve and suffer AS MAN, not just as something that looked like a man. If He was to be like us in ALL respects except being sinful, then He needed to be subject to REAL death, not only an outward appearance of death. As per Philippians chapter two, Jesus emptied Himself of omnipotence, and this emptying meant He was truly IN the trenches with us. When He died, He was so completely dead that it wasn't only a matter of His body no longer breathing. His eternal awareness went into the realm of death, and until His omnipotence was given back to Him by the Father and the Holy Spirit, He could not get out of that realm any more than mortals could.

When the slain flesh-body of Jesus got up and walked out of Joseph's crypt, it was the WHOLE Jesus returning to life, just as the WHOLE Jesus had been dead. He went through the WHOLE dark journey for us.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Perelandrian

Christ is Risen!
Christ is risen indeed!
https://vimeo.com/205920486
Amen!

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu

Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Friend of Narnia

TimmyofOz has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyofOz has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to TimmyofOz
Default Happy Easter

Nice that Easter finally came, and I can go off my Lenten fast. Been dying for a soda.

Aslan is on the Move.
A heart can never be practical until it can be made unbreakable.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM
Perelandrian

Resurrection Sunday was glorious! Although my friend did not show up with her children, my family had a wonderful time of rejoicing and fellowship with sunrise service, breakfast, egg-dyeing and worship (we weren't involved in the Hunt) and lunch and dinner with friends and family.

I am still stringing up the origami prayer butterflies that I made during Lent. There are a lot of them so I might not hang them up in just one place. But we shall see.

Also I have been going through the Lent Project, a set of online scripture readings, poetry, devotions, plus art,videos and music from the Center for Christianity, Culture and the Arts at Biola University that run through Lent plus 9 days after Resurrection Sunday. I especially appreciated the 14 days before Easter which were dedicated to the Scriptural Way of the Cross (immersing us in the Passion day by day based on events recorded in the Gospels) and now the daily devotions help us experience the events in the days recorded after Resurrection.

Today's focus was on Emmaus and art and the music especially brought tears to my eyes...
Blessed Easter, Everyone!

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu