The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > C.S. Lewis

Notices

C.S. Lewis All things C.S. Lewis

Old 09-24-2016, 04:04 PM
Friend of Narnia

TimmyofOz has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyofOz has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to TimmyofOz

I just have a regular edition of The Pilgrim's Regress, no margin notes. I know many people say to read this book with Surprised by Joy. But I feel you should read it with The Great Divorce and even Till We Have Faces, his other allegorical literature. I know others say SbJ and TPR are biographical in nature and thus you need to read SbJ to follow TPR, but remember these book were written 20 years apart. and the old Lewis is very different that the young Lewis. In SbJ we don't really have an autobiography. Though he give some life stories early his focus is why he rejected atheism and ends it there. Not even why he became a Christian and what it has done for his life. It is said that Joy Davidman encouraged him to write it. So I have come to the conclusion to read TPR with other books of the same type and not worry if John is Lewis or not. Lewis already injects himself in a number of his fictions like Out of the Silent Planet. So stick to his fiction when reading TPR.

Aslan is on the Move.
A heart can never be practical until it can be made unbreakable.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Friend of Narnia

TimmyofOz has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyofOz has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to TimmyofOz

Sorry, I haven't been continuing the story because I didn't want to be a spoiler. I was just reading Peter Pan, and the main idea there is that we all have an island in us which is ruled by a god. In that book the children's island is Neverland ruled by Pan. It seems that Lewis takes that idea in his book with his mysterious island.

Aslan is on the Move.
A heart can never be practical until it can be made unbreakable.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:29 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice
Default Pilgrim's Regress -- spoiler alert !!

Sorry I got sidetracked; I had started the space trilogy (finished rereading Out of the Silent Planet and just finished Perelandra because I mislaid my copy of Regress...)

Update - January 7, 2017: I finally found it again after Christmas.

Now I am in Book 8 and John has been working through a slew of philosophies and approaches to faith and religion. Overall the beginning of this book was rather reminiscent of Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan, but now it reminds me of another more lively romp through philosophy, Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. It has the feel of one encounter after another with talking heads as the book progresses, so for me it is not as gripping as some of Lewis' other novels, although I am curious as to how things are going to work out. I think the reason I find this novel less interesting though is because the main character seems so passive -- bouncing from one conversation to another with various characters with minimal character development and connection with others. I hope things will pick up soon -- John's companion, Vertue added a bit of color and interest in Book 7.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 01-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice
Default Light dawns

In Book 8 when John gets away from the vain philosophies, this book for me becomes interesting again. His encounter with objective History (of philosophy, religion, and faith) tip the scales, and in Book 9, still struggling against becoming a Christian, he finally succumbs to faith.

This transition to me was quite interesting, and now I am in Book 10 which is brilliant in the way it sheds light on all those vain philosophies and religions that at first impeded John's responding to God's call on his heart and imagination. This last journey makes the tedious trek through that ideological wasteland beforehand (almost) worthwhile. (For me it was still fairly excruciating, although now it makes this last journey so much more interesting and rewarding.) We shall see -- I am just now beginning the last book.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus