The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > The Socratic Club

Notices

The Socratic Club A club that Lewis founded at Oxford. A forum devoted to general philosophical and spiritual discussion

Old 12-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Easy: they are told by the financial backers of their work that the research had better produce the results the backers want. If you know much about tycoons like George Soros and Ted Turner, you know what geopolitical conditions they wish to produce.

We both need to quit, before the Mods have a fit. (There I go, rhyming again.) But please look up Mr. Monckton's writings.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

As for the charge that climate change is a hoax: I think whoever said that has never checked back in here. Neither CF nor I have contended that, so we have no reason to prove it. We believe in climate change; we're doubtful as to the cause of it. And neither have we said that there is no reason to care for teh environment. Of course any prudent people will want to take care of their world. The only thing we're asking for, before we take costly and restrictive measures to "save the planet" is some proof that these measures really will save the planet.

And yes, this is a debate better moved to another thread if we want it to continue.

The point of this thread is:

1. If you get in a debate, have your facts or logic ready.

2. If the debate is heated, understand that people will challenge your facts or logic, and this is not a personal attack on you.

3. If you cannot stand to have anyone challenge your facts or logic, please do not enter the debate arena.

Here we assume that we may get our feelings hurt when we jump into a debate, and we all agree to put hurt feelings aside and try to be as unemotional as possible in our debates.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Friend of Narnia

Location: Leading an assault on Tashbaan (well, somebody ought to!)
Peepiceek has a spectacular aura aboutPeepiceek has a spectacular aura aboutPeepiceek has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot View Post
As for the charge that climate change is a hoax: I think whoever said that has never checked back in here. Neither CF nor I have contended that, so we have no reason to prove it. We believe in climate change; we're doubtful as to the cause of it. And neither have we said that there is no reason to care for teh environment. Of course any prudent people will want to take care of their world. The only thing we're asking for, before we take costly and restrictive measures to "save the planet" is some proof that these measures really will save the planet.

And yes, this is a debate better moved to another thread if we want it to continue.
Agreed on all points, except that I have come across people (whether you are among them or not I would not comment) whose level of 'proof' is set at such a level that it could never be satisfied until it is too late, and I think this is unwise.

Quote:
The point of this thread is:

1. If you get in a debate, have your facts or logic ready.

2. If the debate is heated, understand that people will challenge your facts or logic, and this is not a personal attack on you.

3. If you cannot stand to have anyone challenge your facts or logic, please do not enter the debate arena.

Here we assume that we may get our feelings hurt when we jump into a debate, and we all agree to put hurt feelings aside and try to be as unemotional as possible in our debates.
Again, agreed on all points.

Peeps
Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to allCopperfox is a name known to all

Pardon me, I have to go shovel away some of the snow that started here in EARLY OCTOBER.

EDIT: Okay, that's done. Look now for a comment by me in "Avoidance of Hijacking."

Last edited by Copperfox; 12-29-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Thanks CF for moving the discussion!

I may answer Peep there if I get time.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Friend of Narnia

What is the single greatest cause of "dirty fighting" in disagreements? It is the involvement of persons who have a self-serving stake in the outcome, and who care more about their own pleasure and their own advantage than about truth. What is the _second_ greatest cause of dirty fighting? It is the fact that so many _other_ people, though not consciously _against_ the truth, have never understood the _importance_ of truth. Persons of the second kind enable those of the first kind, by giving in so routinely that the selfish ones say to themselves: "Cool! All I have to do is pout and sulk, and I'll get my way!"

If extra-dirty fighters, in whatever debate, are not to be allowed _always_ have their own way in everything, the rest of us need to have _some_ sense of the value of actual facts, even if the facts don't always make us feel good.