The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia > Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Notices

Old 04-20-2015, 08:32 PM

Lucy Fan will become famous soon enough
Default Why Were Edmund and Lucy Too Old?

I know in the book Aslan tells Lucy they are too old and have to stay in their own world instead of returning to Narnia. Caspian was older than Lucy and Edmund and he got to stay and Lucy and Edmund were much older than they were in VOTDT in the golden years of Narnia when they were full grown adults as Kings and Queens.

My only thought was that they were being sent back because Narnia had Caspian as its ruler and they were no longer needed but Caspian could have called them back if anymore danger arises.

I know that Aslan said they were brought to Narnia so that they could know Aslan a little so they could know him better in their world but I am just confused as to why they were deemed too old when they have been older and allowed to stay. Maybe I answered my own question.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:13 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Interesting thoughts, Lucy.

Maybe their age during the golden years did not matter as much as their earth age? Maybe they were crossing over into adolescence and as Aslan said it was time for them to be fully committed to discovering their new identity (and His identity) in their own world -- rather than looking for passage to other worlds.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 04-21-2015, 10:19 AM
Knight of the Stone Table

PrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the roughPrinceOfTheWest is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to PrinceOfTheWest Send a message via MSN to PrinceOfTheWest

I think that the "too old" applied to their ages in our world, not in Narnia. Yes, they did grow to full maturity during the Golden Age, but when they returned to their own world, it was to their original ages as of when they stepped through the Wardrobe. That's what I think that Aslan meant by first Peter and Susan at the end of Caspian, and then Edmund and Lucy at the end of Dawn Treader, being "too old". Aslan goes into a little more detail with Edmund and Lucy, explaining more about why they're now restricted to their world, but the principle is the same.

Caspian was older than them both, but he belonged to a race that had been in Narnia for over a thousand years. Narnia was his native land, though his ancestors had come from our world. He didn't belong to our world, though he was given a brief chance to visit at the end of Silver Chair. So it wasn't the age of the person, but their age relative to the world they belonged in.

Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Dad & Mage Verger
(Play courteously! Your father is watching!)
Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 PM

Lucy Fan will become famous soon enough

Thanks to you both for responding. I think I get it now.