The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Eagle and Child > Other Fantasy Worlds

Other Fantasy Worlds Harry Potter, The NeverEnding Story and Beyond

Old 04-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Jayce76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but it's about monsters & thought this was a cool little article.

Read more: http://socyberty.com/social-sciences...#ixzz1tV5fFoWd

Last edited by Jayce76; 04-30-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Jayce I see you've been a member for 3 years, and this is your 8th post. Welcome, anyway, I didn't remember seeing you post before. I think the Mummy can be pretty scary; but the first one with Brendon Fraser was the best of the Mummy movies to my mind. Some people like the classic ones, but they just seem funny to me. Or, well, the Brendon Fraser one was funny, too. But yah, the Mummy is another kind of monster besides your run of the mill vampire and werewolf.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly • Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot View Post
Jayce I see you've been a member for 3 years, and this is your 8th post. Welcome, anyway, I didn't remember seeing you post before. I think the Mummy can be pretty scary; but the first one with Brendon Fraser was the best of the Mummy movies to my mind. Some people like the classic ones, but they just seem funny to me. Or, well, the Brendon Fraser one was funny, too. But yah, the Mummy is another kind of monster besides your run of the mill vampire and werewolf.

Yeah, I've been here a while actually, just started coming back again, thanx for the great welcome!

Yeah, it sounds like they might bring back the old version of the Mummy. At least that how the article makes it sound. Kinda exciting.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

The mummy himself in the Brendon Fraser versions was pretty scary looking. But I preferred the light-heartedness of those films to some of the real horror movies they make now days that are gory and scary. I guess I want something like those old Sinbad movies -- scary but not too gory or terrifying. Sinbad ran into some pretty nasty monsters. I'm remembering some kind of thing with a lot of arms and a sword in most of its hands ...
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17

________
Old 05-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Friend of Narnia

Doffen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Doffen

Perfect thread for some posting!

The old tales in Norway talks about Nøkken (Or Nykken). A male type of vette (supernatural being ... Also used to describe orcs and goblins). It lives in Norwegian lakes, and usually lure people into the water with gold or other treasure in it to drown them. Nøkken likes pregnant women and un-baptized children the best, and though an evil creature, he is usually lonely and complains he cannot get to heaven.

He can actually shift his form, but usually he is a log in the water. Sometimes he appears with yellow glowing eyes, seagrass hanging down as his hair. Sometimes he shifts into a horse to lure people to the water with him.

As a child, Nøkken was probably the creature I looked out the most for!

"It's not the votes that count, it's who counts the votes"

- Josef Stalin

Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for joining in, Doffen! I wonder whether JRR Tolkien, who was familiar with Norse folklore, got the idea for Gollum from the creature you describe?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Beloved Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperfox View Post
Thanks for joining in, Doffen! I wonder whether JRR Tolkien, who was familiar with Norse folklore, got the idea for Gollum from the creature you describe?
That's what I was thinking, too, sounds like Gollum. And welcome back dear Doffen! Guess what? My book is almost ready for publication! You will be famous. If anyone reads it! XO

So shape-shifters turn up in different folklore -- in Native American folklore they're called Skin Walkers which is kind a creepy.

In India there's snakes that can sometimes assume human form, Naga, and one is reported to have done this in order to become a Buddhist monk. But Buddha recognized him as a snake and refused to ordain him. (But kindly gave him directions about how to be reincarnated as a man so he could become a monk.) Not sure that qualifies as a monster, but that snake of Voldemort's was Nagini, and she could shift shapes, too. Remember she turned up as Bathilda Bagshot.

________
Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

The zombie craze appears to be a diametrically-opposed reaction against the sexy-vampire craze. People watching movies about, or dressing up as, disgusting rotten zombies, are like "indie" teenagers who deliberately dress differently from the styles favored by the in-crowd. Monster preferences are thus like a fashion statement!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspot View Post
The mummy himself in the Brendon Fraser versions was pretty scary looking. But I preferred the light-heartedness of those films to some of the real horror movies they make now days that are gory and scary. I guess I want something like those old Sinbad movies -- scary but not too gory or terrifying. Sinbad ran into some pretty nasty monsters. I'm remembering some kind of thing with a lot of arms and a sword in most of its hands ...
Yeah, I love those movies too. I think that's why the first two were certainly sucessful.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Friend of Narnia

Doffen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Doffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperfox View Post
I've never actually thought of that ... That might be right; at least from the description I give he sounds very ... Gollumish!

And Inkspot ... Seriously??
Congratulations!!!

"It's not the votes that count, it's who counts the votes"

- Josef Stalin