The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Lamp-post

The Lamp-post It returns, the general topic forum, combining the general discussion threads from Tumnus, International and Wood between the worlds.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Friend of Narnia

Location: A place with Timelords, detectives, cats and Firebenders.
Mozart the Meerkitten is a jewel in the roughMozart the Meerkitten is a jewel in the roughMozart the Meerkitten is a jewel in the roughMozart the Meerkitten is a jewel in the rough
Default A book review needed.

(Note: The request I have is in the second paragraph, the rest is backstory.)

Alrighty. So, I've been having a bit of trouble in school in my English class with books. Yes, I said books. So for a project during these last few weeks of school we have to read a book that the teacher gives us then do a report on it in front of the class saying how great it was. The first book I got... didn't go too well (public schools don't always give you books with moral values in them to read I found out). Anyway, long story short my mom- who was reading the book with me and got to the worst parts first- emailed my teacher to ask that I be given a different book to read. I have very limited options on this and most of the books she has available are either 1. Graphic/morbid/Holocost stuff or 2. Way below my reading level.

The only book that seemed to have a little middle ground to it is "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells (which also sounded the most interesting to me from the begining). I decided to post on here and see if there was anyone here who had read the thing and could give me some feedback on morality or just what you thought of it. Be aware that any responses you have I need by TONIGHT. Like around six or seven o'clock. Any feedback (good bad or otherwise) is appreciated. Thanks.

The Tale of Mozart the Meerkitten~ The Fire Kitten
Catlition~ The Wolfprince's Revenge

"If you spend every moment of your time thinking about something that makes you angry...well thatís no way to live is it?"

"Grown-ups are just kids who forgot how to have adventures. When you stop having fun, you're grown up."

"Because you donít need to own the universe, just see it. Have the privilege of seeing the whole of time and space. Thatís ownership enough."
Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

I don't know much about Wells, but I would imagine his stuff isn't too graphic or morbid...just from what little I know. I had the same problem in my film appreciation class; over half of the films required in the class were rated R for either violence or sexuality...so I told my teacher that, though I was happy to watch films, I couldn't watch certain ones because of my religion/faith. Good thing colleges can't discriminate against you for that, because he sent me an alternate, more cleaned up list of films to watch instead.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Friend of Narnia

Narnia_bookworm has a spectacular aura aboutNarnia_bookworm has a spectacular aura about

He doesn't write any graphic stuff. You should defintely give it a try.
When I look at her my heart melts. When I gaze into those gorgeous eyes and hear that beautiful voice the whole world stops, and it's just the two of us. There is nothing else that matters in the world. My love and devotion for her is so pure! I can't ever stop thinking about my true love!

~ Narnia! It's all in the wardrobe just like I told you!~Lucy Pevensie~ The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Knight of Narnia

BarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to BarbarianKing Send a message via Yahoo to BarbarianKing

The time machine should be ok. You should watch the movie too, lol. Pretty much is what Wells thought would happen to humanity because there is no God (in his mind). It's not graphic at all.

By the way, what was the book they had given you first? I want to make sure it's not around here somewhere or we never get it.

I makes me banners

Check out my THREAD about meeting Georgie and Will Poulter!
Read my short fanfic about Reepicheep's prophesy.

My graphics thread
My other writing thread.
My DeviantArt Gallery

I am free from the taint of neutrality.
-T. Roosevelt