The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > Prayer Requests

Prayer Requests Need Prayers? We're here for you!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really nice
Default Church Situation

When I'm home, I attend a very small (as in, 20 on a Sunday morning is good) church that my grandfather pastors. But, between his persistent depression and the fact that he's getting older, he seems to be seriously thinking about leaving. The problem is that there aren't any other churches in the area that my parents would feel comfortable being a part of (they've checked most all the churches in the area at some point or another).

The people at our current church are persistently depressed (e.g. "Jesus is coming back, O these are perilous times" every time they pray--no joke), and it's really not a good situation. This church was a last resort, and my mom would be happy if we could find a good church elsewhere. But my grandparents have begun changing in the last few years--becoming pushy where they once would have kept quiet, and becoming less thoughtful in general. (The cause, I'm inclined to think, is age more than anything--my grandfather is over 80, and my grandmother is nearing 80.) Anyway, they're currently trying to push my mom, their daughter, into attending a large church that we left years ago. They used to disapprove of it, but their opinions seems to have drastically changed for no specific reason, and my mom says she wouldn't be surprised if they started going there in the near future.

My mom loves them both a lot, and she has begun to feel like they both disapprove of her all the time, which really hurts. Her sister, my aunt, is very manipulative, and she has gotten my grandparents on her side in all this (they tried to stay neutral before). She and her family still attend the church in question, and another sister has begun attending there, so my mom feels as if she will become an outcast if she chooses differently. The family situation has her very stressed, especially since she is the kind of person who is extremely family-focused. Her family is literally her life, and as a result, she feels extremely battered by the whole situation.

That was long...anyway, three prayer requests. One, that we would find a good church where we will feel welcomed and can become involved. Two, that my grandparents would have the presence of mind to realize the kind of pressure they're putting on my mom, and that they would be supportive instead of judgmental as a result. Three, that my aunt will learn to find her satisfaction in God instead of by controlling other people. Thanks.

Poet and sculptor, do the work,
Nor let the modish painter shirk
What his great forefathers did.
Bring the soul of man to God,
Make him fill the cradles right.

Last edited by Glenburne; 04-12-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 AM

jonnylaw37 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to jonnylaw37 Send a message via MSN to jonnylaw37 Send a message via Skype™ to jonnylaw37

All great requests - I will be praying

God will always guide us if we let Him! Just make sure you keep your eyes open, because God often sends us places we do not expect to go!

Go Panthers!

Send me a message on Facebook, Twitter, or plain ol' e-mail!
Visit my website http://www.JonathanFletcher.net
Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

I pray that any willfully sinful attitude in anyone will be exposed and purged away; also that any mere misunderstanding will be cleared up. Once you get past the Go/No-Go point of choosing to follow Jesus, most subsequent decision points are not nearly so crucial, not nearly so worthy of taking rigid stands about. Trifles like dress codes and music styles ought not to be allowed to block people from taking the available opportunities to be fed on God's Word.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Friend of Narnia

Zella is a jewel in the roughZella is a jewel in the roughZella is a jewel in the roughZella is a jewel in the rough

I will pray.

That is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to; 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
That was long...anyway, three prayer requests. One, that we would find a good church where we will feel welcomed and can become involved. Two, that my grandparents would have the presence of mind to realize the kind of pressure they're putting on my mom, and that they would be supportive instead of judgmental as a result. Three, that my aunt will learn to find her satisfaction in God instead of by controlling other people. Thanks.
I will be praying -- very clear-sighted of you to be able to pick these out as the salient points. You're a credit to your family.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly • Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly •
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Glenburne
you all are in my prayers as well... that God would guide and enlighten and transform this stressful situation into one of unity and glory and joy. (Psalm 133)

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Pandawan

MissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really niceMissReepicheep is just really nice

I can relate both to unpleasant church stress and to manipulative people on my mom's side of the family, so I can sympathize. I will be praying for you to find a church where you really fit, and that everything will work out for the best.

I made my banner and avatar.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Friend of Narnia

Lossėndil is a jewel in the roughLossėndil is a jewel in the roughLossėndil is a jewel in the roughLossėndil is a jewel in the rough

You know you'll be in my prayers, Glen. Your family and your church are in my prayers.
~Philippians 3:10

avvie by GondorGirl
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Scourge of Squirreldom

Glenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really niceGlenburne is just really nice

Thanks, everyone. I'll update this thread if/when I hear anything else solid; currently, things remain in the air.

Poet and sculptor, do the work,
Nor let the modish painter shirk
What his great forefathers did.
Bring the soul of man to God,
Make him fill the cradles right.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Knight of Narnia

BarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really niceBarbarianKing is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to BarbarianKing Send a message via Yahoo to BarbarianKing

Glen. I will pray that you find a church YOU will be happy in! I'll also pray for your family.

I makes me banners

Check out my THREAD about meeting Georgie and Will Poulter!
Read my short fanfic about Reepicheep's prophesy.

My graphics thread
My other writing thread.
My DeviantArt Gallery

I am free from the taint of neutrality.
-T. Roosevelt