The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Stone Table > The Socratic Club

The Socratic Club A club that Lewis founded at Oxford. A forum devoted to general philosophical and spiritual discussion

Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortangel View Post
This year would have been my Grandma G's 91st birthday. She died in June of '08 and she's been in Heaven for a long time now. I will be remembering her by having tea & vanilla wafers; when I would come over to her house, we would always have tea & vanilla wafers, & sometimes we'd even play Scrabble. And when she needed to, she always read from the KJV version of the Bible to me.
Eating can be a very good memorial symbol; after all, Jesus told us to remember HIM through eating!

My first wife Mary liked canteloupe, and my second wife Janalee liked bananas. Any time I'm at a buffet restaurant, if they have those fruits there, I make sure to eat some.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Friend of Narnia

~Lava~ will become famous soon enough~Lava~ will become famous soon enough

Not that I have made it a point to avoid funerals, but I honestly haven't been to many, Catholic or Non-Catholic. In my experiences, though, everyone was able to have a Eulogy. However, there is a recent push to re-affirm the priest's *and/or deacon's, if one exists at that parish* role as the only appropriate person to give the sermon so it might have something to do with that.

As for my attempts to memorialize the living or the dead I am close too, one of the first things I ever wrote was a poem memorializing my best friend in Kindergarten who passed on before we made it to First Grade. I don't know if it was because I was too close to my Poppa, or if it was because I was borderline scared of him (he was a bit gruff and did not totally encourage affection all the time), or if it was because his death was not wholly unexpected, or I was older, but my Poppa got no such Eulogy. My Papa (Mom's dad) was never in my life, though he died during my lifetime and so his death was received like the death of a stranger. Other people, both living and deceased have had variations of their names put in my book. I have been toying with the idea of writing a story in my book whose main characters are named after my baby siblings that never made it to their first breath.

Celebrate International TDL Day with me on December 6th. Wear Green and bake Cookies

Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Friend of Narnia

Sven-El has a spectacular aura aboutSven-El has a spectacular aura aboutSven-El has a spectacular aura about

Many of you have heard me mention the death of my friend Kari and her unborn baby due to a car accident almost two years ago. Well, every year, in memory of her, I donate money to a meorial scholarship that our college set up in her name. It say not seem like much, but I know it helps ease the financial burden of at least one student.It may not bring her back, but I know that my friend's name lives on in that gift.

"In your world I am known by Another name. By knowing Me a little better here, you may know Me better in your world."
-AslanThe Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

Copperfox
thanks for sharing the beautiful poem in memory of J.M. I especially love these lines:
I believe that
Life is real, and sorrow is real, and comfort is real;
Therefore I will sail by the breezes of hope,
And not be ashamed to feel what I feel.

Beautifully said...

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 03-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Greensawmill will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven-El View Post
Many of you have heard me mention the death of my friend Kari and her unborn baby due to a car accident almost two years ago. Well, every year, in memory of her, I donate money to a meorial scholarship that our college set up in her name. It say not seem like much, but I know it helps ease the financial burden of at least one student.It may not bring her back, but I know that my friend's name lives on in that gift.
I hadn't heard you mention Kari before. What a great way to remember her, your memorial gesture is a sacrifice at the same time, making it all that more meaningful.

Great topic, has made me think of those who have gone on before and to whom I owe much.
"And we talk of Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." --2 Nephi 25:26
Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Friend of Narnia

QueenLucyTheValient has a spectacular aura aboutQueenLucyTheValient has a spectacular aura aboutQueenLucyTheValient has a spectacular aura about

Some of you may have heard of my dad's passing from cancer about 5 years ago. Well, in my grief, I have felt that it is really important to remember him, and not push it aside, and not be bitter and angry with God because he took my dad.One of my greatest fears is forgetting him. My aunt made a binder for my brother and I, and a scrapbook for the family, with my dad's email updates, the eulogies from his memorial service, and letters that friends of his wrote about him. I have gotten that out and read it multiple times. I also talk about him with family and friends a lot. It helps.

I feel that the worst thing anyone can do is forget about a loved one after the loved one has died. My dad was afraid that we would forget him, and my mom told him that we never would forget him. Even after my mom remarried to a man who lost his wife to cancer (creating an interesting story), she has not forgotten him. it made it easier for her to remember Dad, because stepdad (Dad2, for further refference) understands how she feels, and remembers and talks about his first wife a lot.

My dad died right before an annual camping trip that our church goes on with another church from our denomination. We still go on that camping trip, (thank goodness, that place is one of my favorite places in the world! ) My dad loved it there too. It is on an island and within walking distance of the beach. He would watch the boats, and go to the fort that is near the campsite, and get my friends to sing "99 Bottles of Milk on the Wall" all the way back to camp .. *sigh* that was funny. This past year, I posted some things about him, pictures of him, quotes from him, on my Facebook on his birthday, Fathers Day, and the anniversary of his death.

(sorry I rambled so long, I just got started and couldnt stop myself! )
there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."-Bilbo Baggins
Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice

QueenLu that was beautiful... Your dad was/is such a warm wonderful person!

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus

Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, Queen Lucy, that is a fine example of honoring those who went before.