The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia > The Horse and His Boy

Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Friend of Narnia

~Lava~ will become famous soon enough~Lava~ will become famous soon enough

I cannot give evidence that they expanded to one particular country or another, I can however give evidence that Calormen was considered an expanding empire. It is most evident in the paragraph when Lewis is getting "him [Rabadash] out of the way" (Lewis, HHB, Rabadash the Ridiculous, in mine it is page 237). Lewis discusses how Rabadash's condition made things more comfortable for the smaller COUNTRIES around Calormen. Disdain for the smaller free countries around Calormen is expressed during the discussion between the Tisroc, Ahoshta Tarkaan, and Rabadash. In addition, the reason that Bree and Hwin are in Calormen in the first place is because Calormene raiders stole them from Archenland. Archenland and Narnia were unconquered because Narnia was, if you will, the other super-power in the Narnian world. Also, the Calormenes were superstitious people and they believed that the "Narnian Demon" Aslan protected Narnia. It was only the people with little or no belief in any form of a god that made incursions into Narnia.

Celebrate International TDL Day with me on December 6th. Wear Green and bake Cookies

Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 AM

CORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura about

QUOTE=EveningStar;2093223]Correct. The word "liberated" springs to mind. Practically BoUnCeS to mind. It was liberated by Aslan and the Pevensies because Jadis was only a so-called queen who based her claim on a humanity she did not possess.[/QUOTE]

And because she treated her subjects in such a cruel manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
"IArchenland was always free even though it was just over the desert. Calormen attempted to take control of Archenland with Rabadash's failed attack. The next time we know of them attacking was in TLB when they directly attacked Narnia.MrBob
According to 'The Horse and His Boy' wasn't this because the nature and size of the desert itself prevented any direct assault by a large land army? I believe the oasis could only cope with a much smaller company. (In 'The Last Battle' wasn't Narnia assaulted from the sea rather than by land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Lava~ View Post
Disdain for the smaller free countries around Calormen is expressed during the discussion between the Tisroc, Ahoshta Tarkaan, and Rabadash. In addition, the reason that Bree and Hwin are in Calormen in the first place is because Calormene raiders stole them from Archenland. Archenland and Narnia were unconquered because Narnia was, if you will, the other super-power in the Narnian world. Also, the Calormenes were superstitious people and they believed that the "Narnian Demon" Aslan protected Narnia. It was only the people with little or no belief in any form of a god that made incursions into Narnia.
They also feared Jadis so, upon learning of her death, would logically fear whoever succeeded her.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Mage Scribe

EveningStar has disabled reputation

I think there is something more than fearing Jadis' successor at stake.

If you're not a witch, able to conjure supplies from air with your wand, a kingdom that's always winter and never Christmas is no paradise.

I can't imagine the Calormenes would want Narnia while it was always bitterly cold. When spring returned, that would be another matter entirely.

I got this information off the SeeNARNIA! website put out by the Narnian Ministry of Tourism.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Hermit of Archenland will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Lava~ View Post
Archenland and Narnia were unconquered because Narnia was, if you will, the other super-power in the Narnian world.
In terms of naval power that's true. Although Calormen was a much larger and more populous country they didn't seem to have the sea 'in their blood' the way the Narnians did.

It's interesting to speculate who would have won if Narnia and Calormen had come to open warfare during the Golden Age. I would put my money on Narnia. The impassiblity of the desert means such a war would have been fought mainly at sea where Narnia was as strong as Calormen. Also they would probably have other advantages. Many varieties of Talking Birds would make excellent scouts and exact knowledge of the enemy's position can be decisive in a naval engagment.

I remember as a child after reading THAHB, indulging myself by imagining a war between Narnia and Calormen. The Narnians always won of course!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM

CORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningStar View Post
I think there is something more than fearing Jadis' successor at stake.
If you're not a witch, able to conjure supplies from air with your wand, a kingdom that's always winter and never Christmas is no paradise.
I can't imagine the Calormenes would want Narnia while it was always bitterly cold. When spring returned, that would be another matter entirely.
I got this information off the SeeNARNIA! website put out by the Narnian Ministry of Tourism.
Very good points!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Friend of Narnia

Yes, very true. "Numbers do not cross a desert"

It was my understanding that the sea attack was made possible by the disarray that Shift and the Calormenes working with him caused. Also by a general complacency with regards the Narnian people.

Celebrate International TDL Day with me on December 6th. Wear Green and bake Cookies

Old 02-12-2012, 05:34 PM

savedbydcross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My favorite book :)

Well this is defintely my favorite book out of the series and I will have to look back into the discussions to see if I can jump in somewhere.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Friend of Narnia

I think I am about to dub you sbdc, unless you have something else you prefer. This is a very good book. This discussion has deep roots in discussing the basis for the Calormene culture.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM

bdag is an unknown quantity at this point

(Sorry for the topic change - still trying to reach 10 posts )

This was always one of my favorite books primarily for the adventure aspect. When I was about 8 or 10 I was reading this book for the first time. The radio was on in the background and the song was "These Dreams" by Heart. This was near the beginning of the book when Shasta and Bree first started riding off into the night.

Pretty powerful. The combination of the book and song stuck with me for lo these 25 years and counting.

Brian
Old 04-10-2012, 12:22 PM

bdag is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and, er, to get back on topic I never knew about Arabs or Turks or Punjabs when I was 10 years old. I think my first idea of the culture reference was reading something along the lines of a criticism for Lewis disdaining Arabs and/or Muslims. Unfortunately that's my imprint scenario so I tend to see them as Arabs. Though I can see the point of East Indians I can so less similarities to Arabs. Turks maybe.

I think Tashbaan was meant to represent Las Vegas...

Brian