The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Chronicles - The Books of Narnia > The Chronicles of Narnia > Prince Caspian

Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Friend of Narnia

MrBob will become famous soon enoughMrBob will become famous soon enough

"It's worth noting that Caspian doesn't really win a single battle in the book, which is a shame."

Well Jubal, Caspian was about 15 years old who had no military leadership experience at the time.

MrBob

What's magic? Nothing but the ability to do what everybody knows is impossible.
...Only my dear little witch, just remember that nothing is impossible.

Marlowe to Anna Maria Rosalita
"Flight to the Lonesome Place" by Alexander Key
Old 12-28-2011, 05:28 AM

Jubal is an unknown quantity at this point

True, but this never seems to be a problem for the our-worlders in heroism terms.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Beloved Disciple

inkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really niceinkspot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Good and bad things from my perspective, just picking a few things that stand out:

Good
- I actually really like the Telmarine characterisations. Glozelle and Sopespian, to my mind, got rather too little book-time. The fact that the Telmarines weren't just a single, externalised threat led by Miraz made them a much more interesting enemy.
- Trumpkin. Trumpkin is one of my favourite characters in the whole series, because I see vastly more of myself in him than in other characters. Which is interesting, since of the three (Nik, Tkin, and Trufflehunter) Lewis clearly wants us to favour the latter. Trumpkin, though, is almost unique in the series in that despite his disbelief he is not strawmanned as acting with pure depravity/self-interest. He acts out of loyalty to Caspian and duty to Narnia as his primary motivations, which makes him quite an interesting figure.
- Reepicheep being Reepicheep. 'nuff said.
I agree with you -- I loved the Telmarines in the book and the film, really liked what they did with them in the film except for the accents which drove me crazy. Your comments about Trumpkin made me curious; I know Lewis in other works has trusty non-believers who are heroes or at least strong characters in the action -- such as McFee and (I can't think of his name, the professor who is murdered) in That Hideous Strength. I am going to try to think of others in CON.

Quote:
Bad
- Aslan is used as a little too much of a Deus Ex Machina in the book at times. I mean, Deus he clearly is, but Ex Machina is less necessary. Particularly the way it's "the trees come and win the battle" at the end - it rather belittles the achievements of the characters. It's worth noting that Caspian doesn't really win a single battle in the book, which is a shame.
- It is too short; of course it is a children's book, but more development of Nikabrik's plotting, of the Telmarine court, and less reliance on the one-chapter romp to suddenly win the war would've been nice to see.
I don't dislike Aslan's coming in to win the day; I like that; it encourages us in the biblical themes of the CON ("The battle is the Lord's" etc.) But I would have preferred Caspian to win a battle, too. And while I love the Romp, I agree it would have been nice to have a longer book -- but I feel that way about all the CON.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.... 2 Corinthians 5:17
Dame Jax, the Just O.L. -- Officially Elected Dancing Lawn Mum

________
Read my Story Dragonfly • Link to my Dragonfly website! Jaxys Dragonfly
Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Friend of Narnia

MrBob will become famous soon enoughMrBob will become famous soon enough

"this never seems to be a problem for the our-worlders in heroism terms"

In LWW, the only other time a battle was commanded by a teenager, Aslan had already made out a large plan of attack that the rest of the army knew. Even with that, they were losing. They didn't start to win until Aslan came with reinforcements.

MrBob

What's magic? Nothing but the ability to do what everybody knows is impossible.
...Only my dear little witch, just remember that nothing is impossible.

Marlowe to Anna Maria Rosalita
"Flight to the Lonesome Place" by Alexander Key
Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Friend of Narnia

Aravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really niceAravis Kenobi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
"this never seems to be a problem for the our-worlders in heroism terms"

In LWW, the only other time a battle was commanded by a teenager, Aslan had already made out a large plan of attack that the rest of the army knew. Even with that, they were losing. They didn't start to win until Aslan came with reinforcements.

MrBob
That IS a pretty valid point. None of the battles were truly won until Aslan helped them to win, or came in and physically won.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 AM

MightyCentaur is an unknown quantity at this point

Before reading "Eragon" I decided to read "Prince Caspian", and I loved this novel. It is interesting but is too different from the film. I prefer the book, because in essence is the original story. The writers of plot's movie invented a lot of details, as the romance between Caspian and Susan and the bridge's break. As film is more entertaining "Prince Caspian" than "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", but LWW is more similar to the book.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Friend of Narnia

~Lava~ will become famous soon enough~Lava~ will become famous soon enough

Yes, indeed MightyCentaur. Even the LWW movie had quite a few glaring changes, which in my opinion allowed for the even more dismal changes of the next two movies.

Celebrate International TDL Day with me on December 6th. Wear Green and bake Cookies

Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM

MorningTime4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyCentaur View Post
Before reading "Eragon" I decided to read "Prince Caspian", and I loved this novel. It is interesting but is too different from the film. I prefer the book, because in essence is the original story. The writers of plot's movie invented a lot of details, as the romance between Caspian and Susan and the bridge's break. As film is more entertaining "Prince Caspian" than "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", but LWW is more similar to the book.
Who made up the Suspian idea anyway? I wonder....

Like MightyCentaur, I agree with him for thefact that the book is better. Narnia is rather great without much romance. With romance though, in the movies.... *shudders*, it takes out most of the Narnian feel. And I'm also agreeing about the fact that, as MightCentaur says, "...LWW is more similar to the book." There were only a few changes to LWW unlike PC and VoDT. VoDT has some of those recongnizable events from the book, but the movie PC... when I watched it, the movie was waaaaay different than the book. To me, it didn't seem like Narnian-ish at all.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 AM

CORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura aboutCORIN THUNDERFIST II has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
In LWW, the only other time a battle was commanded by a teenager, Aslan had already made out a large plan of attack that the rest of the army knew. Even with that, they were losing. They didn't start to win until Aslan came with reinforcements. MrBob
And killed the White Witch! I basically agree with you in this assessment. However, neither Peter nor Edmund lacked skill or courage; indeed, both were no mean warriors when it proved necessary.

The only part of the book I didn't like, as has already been mentioned, is the fact that Peter and Susan were no longer able to visit Narnia (and the same in Voyage of the Dawn Treader for Edmund and Lucy). I wonder if this may have been a contributory factor to Susan's subsequent rejection of Narnia?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM

MorningTime4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORIN THUNDERFIST II View Post
And killed the White Witch! I basically agree with you in this assessment. However, neither Peter nor Edmund lacked skill or courage; indeed, both were no mean warriors when it proved necessary.

The only part of the book I didn't like, as has already been mentioned, is the fact that Peter and Susan were no longer able to visit Narnia (and the same in Voyage of the Dawn Treader for Edmund and Lucy). I wonder if this may have been a contributory factor to Susan's subsequent rejection of Narnia?
There are many, many possibilities. Maybe makeup and invitations made her forget Narnia, or she could have been angry with Aslan for leaving her in the shadows. But Aslan wouldn't do that.