The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans > The Lantern Waste > The Professor's Writing Club

The Professor's Writing Club Poetry, Fan Fiction, etc

Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Friend of Narnia

~Lava~ will become famous soon enough~Lava~ will become famous soon enough

Chapter Three Continued:

When Isa had her next two children (they were twins), there was rejoicing. The whole of Iraat was genuinely happy when their queen gave birth to both a male and a female child two months after James died. It had not been expected; in fact, the populace had been rather worried about whether the “baby” would be healthy considering the stress and heartache that the mother had been through. The boy was born first and his name was Isaac, after Iani’s grandfather on his mother’s side. The girl was named after Isa’s mother, Claire. It was easier for the both to name her after the known grandmother than it was to name her after Iani’s mother because they both knew Isa’s mother and neither knew Iani’s.

After the twins’ birth, Iani found it even easier to work toward peace. James’ death had cleared the way for Iani’s work and the twins had cemented the idea that Beman may not be as bad as they had all thought. As they aged, they were found to have a similar personality to that of James. The marriage between an Irati king and a Bemanese girl had produced the most loved princess and princes that Iraat had ever had. The Irati people were more willing to accept the parents because of it.

With the hatred all but conquered on the Irati mainland, Iani called an open forum council meeting of the Provincial Governors in the mainland provinces to try to figure out what to do with Kiaf and his father. After some debate, the Council decided that the best course of action was to let Kiaf secede if they so decided. As long as King Dánni thought he could hold the potential to secede over his son’s head, the Council figured that he would continue to cause problems.

Kiaf seceded from Iraat two weeks later to join the neighboring country, Tineen.

Celebrate International TDL Day with me on December 6th. Wear Green and bake Cookies

Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Friend of Narnia

Chapter 4: The Council of Nations

With things calmed on the home front and foreign nations beginning to open positive diplomatic relations with Iraat, Iani decided to make a diplomatic tour the nations of Razettia. He left the government in the capable hands of his friend, Diego, and took his family in the Annẻstia to visit Beman, Ava, Zamboosie, Ralant, Aytha, Dirmayd, Alwin, and all of the smaller islands. Kiaf, Tineen, and Lanis were not part of the tour because they had all made it clear that Iani (or anyone else from Iraat) was not welcome anymore.

While visiting, Iani tried to sure up relations and made a call for an international council meeting to discuss the state of the world. Iani had supporters in five of the other countries because his shipmates hailed from them. At the same time, Diego was telling the Irati people of a need for the same council. Though they did not go into great detail, all of original ship’s crew hinted that they had a great wonder to describe at the council. While heading from Ralant to Beman, Iani again sailed far to the north and to his delight, the fairy dance continued and may have even intensified in the past nine years.

Eventually, he reached all of the friendly countries and they were able to find a date to have the council meet. Of course, as was tradition, the council would meet in the center of Zamboosie’s capitol, Zamboosie City, under the Great Tree. The council was to happen during the New Year celebration of the upcoming year. That would give everyone involved ten months to prepare.

In the meantime, Iani continued to try to strengthen international bonds and keep moving Iraat toward respectability. His people were enjoying the benefits of the transparency of Iani’s government and peace that his policies had brought. Piracy had not been legal in Iraat in over eight years and the prices of things were lower than they had ever been during the peak of the piracy years. For the people of Iraat, the next ten months passed quickly with nothing out of the ordinary.

When the time finally came for the Second Great Council to convene, King Iani and his Annẻstia crew went into the meeting with joyful hearts. Ten years to keep a secret like theirs was hard; the interim had been busy but they all felt like a weight was lifting from their shoulders. They were so close to accomplishing the oath that they had sworn on that starlit night at the edge of their world.

At first the Council only dealt with matters of state. They discussed international trade (all of the nations recognized and thanked Iani for the ban on piracy) and they talked about Tineen and its allies. They discussed whether they needed to keep some of the patrols and extra protection for their supply lines with Kiaf, Lanis, and Tineen still committing some acts of piracy. Upon deciding that some protection was still needed, they discussed what nations would patrol which part of the ocean. They passed the first two days working out these details.

Finally, it came time for Iani to tell his story:
“As many of you know, ten years ago my father had corrupt people kidnap me. His plans did not work the way he wanted because my friends here overpowered the Captain of the ship and saved me and my friend, Diego. Because we did not want my father to find that his plans had failed, we decided to change ships and sail along the Northern Edge to Beman. The trip is generally very dangerous but we found the Edge changed. The wind was blowing from the north not the south as normal. On top of that, we witnessed a massive meteor shower that reminded people of a Fairy Dance. I have only seen the like twice since, both were at the Northern Edge. The night sky was so magnificent that neither I nor any of my crew ever wanted to leave it. It had a fatal beauty that is hard to describe with words. Literally, there were thousands of shooting stars happening all at the same time. Twice I have been back to the Northern Edge since those wonderful nights, once a month later as I was sailing back to Tiafa with my new wife and the other ten months ago. Both times the sky was the same but this past time there was only enough wind to keep the ship moving. The second time, before my wife and my crew I swore that I would establish peace in Razettia and then I would tell the story at a Great Council. We wish that you would join us in seeing this marvel the next time we go.”

When Iani stopped speaking, there was still some doubt. The rest of the crew said their peace on the phenomenon. It took everyone speaking in excited tones to lay aside the skepticism of their hearers.

All present were amazed at what they heard. However, just as the others quit speaking, the delegates from Ralant (the country that was the furthest north) stood up to report that though they had not seen the Fairy Dance of the Skies, as the Annẻstia crew called it, they had seen an increase in shooting stars. Some sailors present reported the same. None but Iani and the Annẻstia crew had ever been far enough north to see the Dance but they all seemed to think they had seen more shooting stars than normal.

The stir caused by the announcement was great. A lot of people were very concerned about trying to navigate the North Sea. Others wanted to set out straight from the council. Iani struggled to bring order back to the council.

When order was restored, Iani got up to speak again. He told everyone that he thought that everyone ought to return to their countries and tell everyone. In two months, they would all meet again with whoever would come with them at the Northern Edge. All agreed. At the end of the meeting, a centaur from Dirmayd summed up what everyone was feeling by saying “It Must Be Seen.”

All rushed home to their respective countries. They told of the wonders they had heard. After much discussion, people came to believe the emissaries. Some were concerned but thought they would still like to see it. The elves and centaurs were excited talking about ancient, forgotten prophesies that dealt with the star (they did not know what they were but knew that they dealt with the stars). At any rate, people started preparing ships.

In the two months that followed, people kept wavering back and forth as to whether or not they were going. At one point, all the people of Beman, Ava, Zamboosie, and Aytha had decided not to go. That only lasted long enough that a ship got blow off course (too far north) and they were able to report that the Fairy Dance was not only as beautiful as everyone had said, but also spreading further south. That news had people clamoring to the boats again.

In the end, the streets of all of the countries in the world became like ghost towns. Only three countries refused to come watch the Fairy Dance of the Skies: Lanis, Tineen, and Kiaf. Lanis went so far as to tell people not to put in at any of their ports lest they confiscate the vessels. Everyone else left their homes to see the Dance.

When the boats neared the North Sea, they met with a large north wind that pushed the more timid people further north than they liked. They proceeded toward the Northern Edge with care because no one wanted to be drawn off the edge. Thousands of boats put down anchor near the Edge.

Celebrate International TDL Day with me on December 6th. Wear Green and bake Cookies

Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Friend of Narnia

Chapter 5: I Close

We are now 4 months out from the Second Great Council. There thousands of ships sitting becalmed at the Northern Edge. Practically our whole world sits on the cusp between the landed part of Razettia and the unknown domain of the mer-people. The current is non-existent; the wind is too. The Fairy Dance of the Skies is now visible both night and day. All here feel like we are the verge of something spectacular. Life is not proceeding in normal order.

Our crew aboard the Annẻstia, for, indeed, that is the ship I am on, is just as shocked as we were the first time we saw this spectacle. We did not expect for the deathly beauty of our Fairy Dance to become even more stunning with the passage of the years. Hundreds of thousands of star cross the sky; they far outshine our north sun, the only one visible here. The water is as still as glass so the scene appears both above and below our boats. Other than the people moving and boats being rowed back and forth, our world is still. There is not a lick of wind. The sails lie dead. Mer-people are the only ones that make the water stir from below. They too spend much of their time with their upper body out of the water watching the skies. It is a shame that those from the three countries did come. Indeed, it feels as though this is the end of it all.

Every man, woman, and child came, even the elderly and the babes-in-arms. If ever Kiaf, Lanis, and Tineen wanted to loot the other countries, this would be the time. I doubt they would because right now they feel superior to us. Their governments call us fools and have put out statements saying that it is just as well if we all lose our lives on this foolish mission; they do not need the fools or any of our goods anymore. That is not to say that some boats from those countries have not straggled in; their curiosity has gotten the best of them and they do not mind being ostracized from their homelands because they associate with the Great Fools. They are glad they came.
We feel that we only have enough supplies to stay here another couple of weeks before we have to leave. Some have said they would rather run out of food than leave; others have decided that if it came to that point they would leave and bring back supplies to those people. Iani thinks that if we have to go back, we will just restock our boat and then sail back here and go over the edge to try to explore the other side.

People are getting uneasy though and it is not because of supply shortages.
The north sun is either dimmer or the stars are so bright that they must be closer to us. If the sun is dimming it may throw of the delicate balance of our world. There are also stories from the old world of supernovas that were the death of stars. They dimmed and then exploded (or at least that is how the story goes). The elves think that might be what the old forgotten prophesy was about. If our north sun dies, the upper half of our landed world will go dark and we will have nowhere to grow food. People have a legitimate reason to fear; the north is our bread basket.

I was surprised when I found Iani this afternoon; he was looking at one of the ancient texts (he was looking up supernova). The Irati have a couple of the texts from the original Bemanese people because back when the Irati captured Beman, they took some of the texts. We also have a translation guide from Bemanese to English (a dead language) on board. Some of the words are the same but not much. I am just now finishing up my life’s work, an anthology of Bemanese history. I also have one more ancient text with me: The Journal of Brian Goggers, the first human leader in Razettia. I just finished translating it and writing down some of the legends (particularly the one of how the world began).

A couple of days ago I talked about fears of our sun going dim. I doubt that we will be around to see that happen. Something is happening; there is not current or wind, I have already said that. The ocean is calm and yet the ships are moving a little; the stranger thing is that the water is still undisturbed. It does not even ripple when people paddle. Only the sky is moving. Nothing is behaving as it ought.

Maniel, the original carpenter and the only other true Bemanese on the crew of the Avenger (Captain Daniel is not counted), just gave me a beautiful box made from the wood of a fallen limb of the Calendar Tree (she is dying). She has been around since the beginning and is the last of the Nathîel trees (the others died several hundred years ago from a plague) in our world. Her wood is the most valued in the world but unless a limb falls no one would dare touch it. She told him to make the box. Nathîel wood is water and bug resistant and he wants me to put the old texts into it to keep them safe. Incidentally, the Annẻstia is so old that some of her boats are made of Nathîel wood. I think the Calendar Tree would feel honored for her box to hold these books.

I have something new to report, we just had the first breath of wind that we have had in two months. It was brief but enough to make me want to finish up. I say goodbye. Something is about to happen and I do not know what. It has been building for ten and a half years and we are at an end. Once I finish writing, I will wrap these and a couple of other treasures that people from other ships have given me in Jessia skins and put them in the box (the journal will go in the false bottom).

The wind is picking up again. I am going to finish this paragraph and put the box in one of the Nathîel dingys and set it a float. I do not know what is about to happen but with every breath of wind we draw closer to edge and I figure that if we get pushed over, the dingy has no sail and it may find its way to someone else. The wind is stronger now and the current is forming again. Here we go. I must close.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Friend of Narnia

Default Revelations: A Mother’s Story

This is the short story I wrote that goes in front of "The End," it gives some backstory about Iani's family; however, nobody in "The End" would really know this story. It gives insight into the type of man his father was.

Revelations: A Mother's Story

What is well known in this story is that I came home with the new Irati king and we were married somewhere else. Also, they know that you, my little son, were born in the same place. There is more to this story than has come to the public’s eyes, nor does your father know the full truth. I rather doubt that I will tell the full truth to anyone but you, my darling baby. You will probably never remember it as I will only tell you once. It is highly likely that you will never remember me, Iani, because the royal apothecaries tell me that I am very sick. They wonder if I will live through this pregnancy.

Truth be told, when I first met your father, I did not even know that he was a prince. He certainly had a stately manner; he looked down his nose at all the people in my little village but me. He decided from almost the moment we met to court my favor. I willingly accepted the courtship; I had no family left. They all left died two years before your father came. I was more than happy to accept his hand when he offered it. Perhaps if I had had family to consult, they would not have let me marry him, but the island where I lived was not my homeland so any living relatives were not there to stop me. I doubt I would have listened to them anyways. I love your father and you so much that it does not matter

He and I spent the year and a half after our marriage on an island close to Zamboosie. As if by mutual agreement, I did not tell him my origin and he did not tell his either. He only told me that he was an only child and that his father was too over-bearing and so he had run away. He told me that he wished that he were as free of attachment as I was. From what he knew of me, I had neither family nor country and was little known in the land where I lived. This was not entirely true; I had a country but did not disclose it because I knew that he was from Iraat. I am not Bemanese; I was born in Aytha of Aythan parents. However, we lived on the Bemanese border, and I was rather fond of Beman. I knew that if I told him that, he would never speak to me again. Therefore, I did not.

After our marriage, he moved into a little house where I had been living since I had moved to the island. Several months later, we found out that I was pregnant. We still did not tell each other where we had come from; it was not important. Our little family was what we wanted, it did not seem to matter what was in each other’s past. We were able to grow a good garden and had some livestock so we rarely went into town.
There were occasions when I had heard rumors of a missing Irati prince but I laughed them off. At the time, all I could think of was that my Dánni was not Irati royalty. Iani, your father acted concerned about the fact that his “ruler” had gone missing; he never let on that he was the missing ruler. We would have continued on with our lives as unobtrusive citizens of the small island colony for as long as we lived, but fate would not have it that way.

You were three months old when we first took you into town. It was a special to-do for us and we just had to show you everywhere in town. Unfortunately, everywhere in town there were Irati sailors who had just come into port after a treacherous trip down the Eligog Isthmus. It kind of shocked me to see Dánni shy away from his fellow country-men, but it did make sense a little bit because of the fact that he had married a foreign girl and that is not well looked upon in Tiafa, the city that he had told me he was from. Finally, the inevitable happened, your father ran into someone who recognized him.

That someone came up to grab him and tell him that his father had people searching for him. The man had just grabbed a hold of his sleeve when your father smacked his hand away. What came forth from your father’s mouth is something that neither I nor anyone there will easily forget. He said “Unhand us, you dog. How dare you try to strike your king?” as easily as if he was telling me that he loved me. A shocked silence fell, starting with the Irati sailors. I was not able to say a word either. Then he motioned to me and told me to come over to him with you in my arms, my darling.

He took you into his arms and kissed my cheek saying to me in a whisper, “Anya, my dear, it looks like the past that I have been running from for two years has caught up to me. I am afraid that we will have to leave here and I will have to take my place on my father’s throne. I did not want to, but this man here leaves me no choice. Now that my location is known, my father will stop at nothing to come and bring me back to Tiafa. It is better for us to go willingly and together than for you to be ripped from me by people who do not know I am married.” Then to the man who had recognized him, your father said, “Since you have found us, you will now have the honor of escorting us, our queen, and the prince back Iraat. We would suggest that you fit your ship so that we may travel in comfort.”
While the captain was making his ship into something that would be fit for transporting monarchy, Dánni had some of the other sailors pack our belongings to bring aboard. He told me that he would have told me about his family but for the fact that he wanted to escape that life and he was worried that I would not let him continue to shirk his duties. While I was not pleased with the thought of having to move to Iraat and would have never recommended doing so, I tried not to be angry at him for keeping his secret. After all, I was not much better for having mine.

We set sail two weeks later and went further east than I had ever been in my life. Though the vessel was generally a looting vessel, it stayed clear of the main shipping lanes on this trip. The cargo that was carried on board, all of us was too important to bother with the thought that a Bemanese frigate might get a little jumpy and try to engage us. The captain did not want any of his fellows to plunder his ship and take the honor that was now his either. The trip was peaceful. One of the men who waited on us was actually Bemanese, a Private Daniel. He told us that he was originally a captive on this vessel but had been given a spot on the lower crew after proving his merit in battle. I was not fond of him but your father liked him.

We reached Tiafa’s port on the day that you turned three months old. A message had been sent to the old king before we left the last country on our way to Iraat. He was waiting there to receive his son. It appeared that all was forgiven the moment your grandfather first held you in his arms. He did not care what nationality I was, nor did your father. You were an heir. You were now the crown prince. You were going to have the best tutors that Iraat had to offer.

I was a little surprised at how fast your father started taking his father’s advice. It was also very weird to suddenly have to be called queen and have an entourage. Dánni separated his family life from that of his rule; you and I rarely see him during the day because of it. While he is still the same man I married, I do not like some of his policy decisions. Also, Tiafa has not been good to me; the climate is very different from what I am used to and I have not been in full health since I came here.

Iani, my son, I brought you out to this field without anyone so that I could tell you now. I highly doubt that I will be able tell you later. I want you to hear it from me; I want you to hear the full truth. I want you to now forget everything I have said to you. It is enough to know that you have heard it even if your upbringing will not make this knowledge easy for you. That is why I brought you out here before you could talk; I do not want you to remember it. I do not want this knowledge to cause you pain or heartache later. Now we can go back and take a nap.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Friend of Narnia

Right Now, this thread should contain these stories from my book:

Prelude: A Discovery

I. Poetry

II. The Whisperings of an Ancient Tree

III. How Humans Come to Beman

1. How Humans came to Razettia
2. On Ava
3. On Zamboosie
4. The Trip to Beman
5. Founding Beman
6. Life, a Wrap Up

V. Foiled Plots

X. Revelations: A Mother’s Story

XI. The End

1. Kidnapping
2. It Backfired
3. Peace-making Is Not Easy
4. The Council of Nations
5. I Close

I have yet to write These:

IV. A Bemanese Dynasty

VI. The Province: Aytha

VII. A Desperate Point in History

1. The Attack
2. Reuniting a Family Torn Asunder
3. Prepartions
4. The Coup
5. The Aftermath
6. The Death of a Great King and Assuming the Throne

VIII. Trinkets

IX. Christmastide

Old 04-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Friend of Narnia

Copperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of lightCopperfox is a glorious beacon of light

There is SO much room for growth here, for fleshing out. Just what is outlined in Post #30, for instance, could make whole books, as you would narrate _particular_ events experienced by _individual_ characters in the course of the king's reform efforts.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Friend of Narnia

Since Posting this thread I have rewritten and written a whole bunch of these stories. I still plan to rewrite the rest.