Duffer Boot Camp!

Is thy English teacher English? Doth she speak that language of English as her first language? :p
No she isn't English, but she studied English and can speak it perfectly i think!

But maybe you could tell me something, i asked my teacher, but she didn't know, and actually no one did: What does Mrs. mean? (As in Mrs. Brown or something). I know what it means, but like this: Mr. means Mister, Mrs. means ??? (the shortage).

EDIT: they have Shakespeare in English in my library :D

Mrs. is an abbreviation for the title given to a married woman. I dunno if it's like this in Holland, but if Miss Jones marries Mr. Smith, she becomes Mrs. Smith. I've never seen the extended word, but it's pronounced roughly like "misz". I know it's an awkward spelling, but it's the best I can do. :eek:

Mrs. is an abbreviation for the title given to a married woman. I dunno if it's like this in Holland, but if Miss Jones marries Mr. Smith, she becomes Mrs. Smith. I've never seen the extended word, but it's pronounced roughly like "misz". I know it's an awkward spelling, but it's the best I can do. :eek:
Yeah, i know what it means, and how it is pronounced, i was indeed looking for the extended word, my teacher didn't know, and she said that the English/American people themselves might not even know it (at least: not all of them), because it is always just Mrs.:rolleyes:

Here it goes like that lots of times (that a girl gets the name of her husband when she marries) but lately there are a lot of woman who like their name and just keep it, my sis is getting married in two weeks (YAY:D), and she is still doubting whether she should keep her own name, or the name of her fiance. And sometimes the man takes the name of the woman, not very often, but it does happen.

(and you did the Holland on purpose, didn't you :mad: )

Ok, thanks!:) I just found this article on the subject:

Ok each of you has gotten a tiny bit of the etymology correct.
Mrs. is and abbreviated form of the word Mistress that came into popularity as an abbreviation in coresspondance in the late 1500's. The word Mistress is the feminine of the word Master and was used to denote the formal position of the wife as keeper of the house. (If one was not married the title was used of the bachelors mother or unmarried sister if they resided in the same house.) The abrreviation later came to be used only for women who are married or widowed.

It was also said that mrs. is a shortage of Mistress, but Misses was easier to pronounce, so...:D

Wow...

I never thought people would train to be Duffers when I first joined the site.

Don't get me wrong. It's great that you are training. It's a great way to learn about being a Duffer. But you can't just LEARN to be a Duffer. You have to BE a Duffer. Just like my cat. She doesn't LEARN to scratch my sister, she BECOMES scratching my sister. Of course, I also bribe the cat with tuna every once in a while, but that is not the point. The point is, bribery gets you everywhere. Including jail. Just look at Martha Stewart. She bribed people to to let her inside of a jail, and then she was able to go in and make friends like Bertha. I always feel sad when I meet people like Bertha. I mean, how can you live your life when everyone expects you to be really annoying?

PS. I had to do an assignment in university where we wrote a paragraph that made no sense. Needless to say, people liked my writing.

PPS. I don't have a cat. She died, she died. Mom said she was sleeping. She lied, she lied! Why oh why is my cat dead? Couldn't that Chrysler hit me instead?

PPPS. My cat was killed by a heartattack.

PPPPS. When searching for the above song, I ended up at wikipedia. What started as a search for a song ended in an article about Sinkholes. And it could have been a lot worse...

please sir....
:p
So holyboy ur cat died.and ur mom lied...wow, my life is sooo much better.
first of all i'm the family pet.
I can do a cat impression (naps) dog impression (chases her tail) a mouse impression (eats cheese). a bird impression (sings)
and even a fish impression (just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming swimming....)... OMG!! i love finding nemo...not taht finding nemo has anything to do with duffers..
i mean...duffer and finding nemo...
*gets confused...so she stops talking*

With the attetion span of one second you wouldn't even be able to...wow, I really like the color...ohmygosh look...a computer screen is a very...we have a variety of wonderful...green...pink...blue...mouse...Lauren...wow...Hi...life...lies...speakers... I'm hun- I can't believe- it was great...we talked a lot...today was...I feel...that's how life is...music is....this girl I know...I can type fast...

THAT, my friends is the attention span of 3 seconds, if you have the attention span of one second it looks like this...

hi-dea-no-tinker-pleas-any-be-one-two-arrow-cat-tree-grav-gre-thumb-plum...etc

And, you will never EVER know if you are truely a duffer unless a true duffer tells you are one, because many who say they are duffers are really not, and many who say they are not really are, so it is up to the general public of TDL and Duffer Land to decide who is and who is not a duffer. A Duffer is not something you become, it is something that is born within.

What does PS stand for?
PS = Post Scriptum (Latin), it means in English something like: 'after that that was written'.

And slp, i think one never knows if one is a duffer, since you're saying that you only know if someone who is a duffer tells you, but if no one ever told the first duffer that they're truly a duffer, than it could never have been said to anyone, which makes no one a duffer...

...looks like Derny was right after all:( :p

PS = Post Scriptum (Latin), it means in English something like: 'after that that was written'.

And slp, i think one never knows if one is a duffer, since you're saying that you only know if someone who is a duffer tells you, but if no one ever told the first duffer that they're truly a duffer, than it could never have been said to anyone, which makes no one a duffer...

...looks like Derny was right after all:( :p

But Derny's a duffer...

Back