Growing up

office

Let me start off this rambling by saying I hope this leads to other people discussing growing up and the impact this forum has had on them and it's not just me rambling. I'm 15, I joined this place when I was only 9. I can say that this forum provided me with great friends and I learned a lot about my Christian life on here as well. I'm sort of maturing now and looking back I really miss this place, but it's not as active now and I don't have the time to come back. How did these forums shape your guys' lives?

Well, Office, this place is still active, just not with many of the same members as before. However, there are still many members here who have been members for as long as you and are still active.

I think that the issue is that as you grow up, your interests change and you change. Also, friends move in and out of people's lives and things evolve. It is a natural process. But the forum is still here. Anytime you want to come back and revisit with old friends that may still be around, you're welcome to do it. You may make new friends here too. You don't know it but there's actually quite a few awesome newer members who make great friends. If you came back more often, you could get to know them and you wouldn't miss this place so much.

I for one I'm happy to see members who joined a long time ago. I'm actually glad to see you, even though we didn't really talk before. But I do remember vaguely that you were trying to get an audition for the role of Eustace and that there were tons of people here cheering you on. If you come back, you may find out that there are others here who would be glad to cheer you on as you embark in new adventures, now that you have matured some more.

I'd like to hear what those who have grown up with this forum have to say too.

Last edited:
TDL has changed for me because the members' interests changed from Narnia to other non-Narnian things *cough* Twilight *cough*. I suppose this is normal, but it's caused TDL to lose some of its appeal in my eyes.

I'm probably as active now as I was then, but TDL isn't so sacred to me that it would keep me from ever leaving for good. I think this will probably hold true when I get a job after I graduate, and if I ever get married, I don't see TDL becoming a very viable internet option because I won't have the time.

Right, younger kids tend to have more time for TDL. And that's great because kids are wonderful! I agree with BK, I would love to hear stories from members who have grown up here, and I would say you're always welcome back here, before, during and after you grow up. There's always a core of active members of different ages, from different backgrounds, with interesting stuff to share, so always feel free to jump back in.

I joined TDL when I was twelve and I will be eighteen this May, so I've pretty much been here for my entire adolescence. I can definitely say that this forum has helped and changed me in numerous and important ways.

To start, I've become much more literate in the workings of the internet and certain softwares. Being on this forum has introduced me to a lot of computer-related knowledge, especially in the field of graphics. Without TDL, I doubt I would have become interested in Photoshop and graphic design. Being around such a skilled community inspired me to try out a type of art that I had previously been unfamiliar with. I've benefited from this so much - it's actually really helped me in school, where I've taken a digital imaging course as well a graphic design course.

In terms of my social development, I feel much more comfortable participating in discussions in a mature, polite way. It's helped me so much to be surrounded by a community that engages in healthy debate. I've learned through experience the importance of controlling my temper, listening to what other people have to say, and defending my own beliefs intelligently and thoroughly. I think my informal writing skills have definitely improved, too.

One of the biggest influences TDL has had on me is philosophical. The spiritual nature of our discussions has led me to flourish in my faith. I have a great family and church life, but the opportunity to talk with other believers in a setting like this is really unlike any other. It has opened the door to many new viewpoints, opinions, and convictions. I feel like I've gained a much stronger understanding of the sects of Christianity and where I fit in.

There are so many other things I could list, too. This site has played a very big role in my growth throughout the past 5-ish years. I hope that no one here downplays that (especially the mods). All the members here are amazing, and I really appreciate all that you've done for me and the rest of us who have grown up here. :)

I was not only already grown up before Dancing Lawn was created, I was already grown up before the internet was created. But this forum has been extemely important in my life-- because, in a transitional period both for me and for the internet (note, starting before there was Kindle), this place gave me the gift of being able TO WRITE FOR AN AUDIENCE. Over my nearly six years of membership, I have written five brand-new complete novels right here, and hundreds of poems including my BOOK-LENGTH poem "The Tale of Sophia Renee." No other website I have known has afforded me SUCH a creative liberation.

Wow, CF, that's amazing! Well done!!!

Lila, what you wrote was beautiful, and I was very touched by it. How great to know that our ramblings here really make a difference. Thanks for sharing! BTW, I find you to be quite mature and open-minded for an 18-year-old. For any age, actually.

A month or so after my 10th birthday I joined TDL and I'm going to be 15 in 3 months, I feel that TDL has played a big part in me growing up.... When I first joined I was just so happy that I had other people that I could relate to who also liked Narnia. I was in year 6 at the time and I already hung out with a girl that got bullied for believing in fairies, so I never told anyone about my obsession with the books+films in fear that I'd get bullied aswell. But nowadays I really don't care what people think about me, so when people find out about my love for Glee or Micheal Buble I honestly couldn't care less if anybody finds it funny or not.
TDL has also taught me life skills like not judging a book by it's cover, as before I might have avoided speaking to people because their looks scared me or for whatever reason. But on this site you get to know people without knowing what they look like or what persona they have about them. So when I've been growing up I've always made an effort to try and have a conversation with someone first before making an opinion on them -by doing this I've gained some great friends.
Best of all TDL is still helping me now, as when things are happening in my life that I'm not all too thrilled about this website still offers me a place to go where I can just forget my troubles and focus on some of the wierd things people talk about on here:p

So basically, thanks everyone who's on TDL for.... helping me grow up from a shy geeky girl who didn't like saying more than a sentence to people she didn't know, to a teenager who just has a conversation with random people at any given opportunity... Technically though I've still not grown up, so I look forward to seeing if the website and the users on it still help me grow even more. Thanks again everyone:Dx

I agree with Copperfox. TDL is a nice place to be creative and to hang out with old friends. I'm 52 and have been here since I was 45. That's saying a lot. Seven years, folks. A lot has happened in those seven years, but I'm still here, stripes and all.

eww-eee, you can say that again POTW! >.<

Although I have loved Narnia since I was in grade school I did not discover the Dancing Lawn till I had children of my own who were old enough to get knighted at LionCon. But I want to thank you all for being there for me in prayer, especially when I was caring for my mother in her last years and now as I deal with my own health issues. Thanks also for the inspiration and fellowship in your poems, art, stories and discussions, not to mention the crazy Dufferliness which paradoxically keeps me sane with its insanity.

A month or so after my 10th birthday I joined TDL and I'm going to be 15 in 3 months, I feel that TDL has played a big part in me growing up.... When I first joined I was just so happy that I had other people that I could relate to who also liked Narnia. I was in year 6 at the time and I already hung out with a girl that got bullied for believing in fairies, so I never told anyone about my obsession with the books+films in fear that I'd get bullied aswell. But nowadays I really don't care what people think about me, so when people find out about my love for Glee or Micheal Buble I honestly couldn't care less if anybody finds it funny or not.
TDL has also taught me life skills like not judging a book by it's cover, as before I might have avoided speaking to people because their looks scared me or for whatever reason. But on this site you get to know people without knowing what they look like or what persona they have about them. So when I've been growing up I've always made an effort to try and have a conversation with someone first before making an opinion on them -by doing this I've gained some great friends.
Best of all TDL is still helping me now, as when things are happening in my life that I'm not all too thrilled about this website still offers me a place to go where I can just forget my troubles and focus on some of the wierd things people talk about on here:p

So basically, thanks everyone who's on TDL for.... helping me grow up from a shy geeky girl who didn't like saying more than a sentence to people she didn't know, to a teenager who just has a conversation with random people at any given opportunity... Technically though I've still not grown up, so I look forward to seeing if the website and the users on it still help me grow even more. Thanks again everyone:Dx
This was absolutely beautiful! I was waiting for you to find this thread and post cause I know ye were a wee lass when ye first joined. I feel honored that you count us as friends and I'm always happy to see you come here and post.
Now, if you could just get back to captain our ship The Scarlet Fear, we could sail again in search of adventures, plunder, or just find fresh water to take a bath *sniffs* I'll be happy to continue serving as the first mate, arrg!

An Ode to Narnia Fans.

I've been wanting to post in this thread since I first saw it. So here I am!

I was 14, I think, when I first joined. I was living in China. I was in 7th grade. We have moved twice since then (not just moving from city to city, but crossing boarders and entering/returning to new cultures and languages). I am now 20, in college, and away from home - though I'm still not quite sure where home is.

I've definitely grown a lot since joining TDL. TDL's provided me with friends even when I was thrust into new environments to meet new people. It kind of served as a home away from home. Even now in college, TDL has been a constant in my life. I talk more to friends here than my family across the oceans (not that I don't love my family, but we interact in different ways. We all hate phones and only my sister has a facebook. :rolleyes:).

People here have been ready to support me through some difficult times, by prayer, advice, and simply listening. People here have been willing to leap into fascinating debates when I came across some aspect of faith I did not understand. I've learned so much.

TDL has also provided an outlet for my insanity. :D My friends and family would probably be eternally grateful if they ever learned that I may have been even more insane if not for "the narnia forum" (as they know you by). We've had so many good times talking about cheese. I hope we have many more.

I have made amazing friends. A member recently wrote about jumping in front of buses on her blog (her point being, if I do not misunderstand, that little things are what build up great relationships). I can name quite a few people on these forums for whom I would be willing to jump in front of a bus.

TDL is a safe haven I know I can always turn to. I am forever grateful for the day when my sister, seeing me happily browse my Star Wars forums, asked if there was one for Narnia. She never joined, but I did. And unlike the long forgotten SW forums, this is a place I don't think I could ever leave.

Awww, that was lovely Lossy! And we're so glad you feel that way! It's so awesome to know young kids who joined back in the day are now gracious grown-ups like you, and still active. Yay TDL!

JP Wannabe said:
So basically, thanks everyone who's on TDL for.... helping me grow up from a shy geeky girl who didn't like saying more than a sentence to people she didn't know, to a teenager who just has a conversation with random people at any given opportunity... Technically though I've still not grown up, so I look forward to seeing if the website and the users on it still help me grow even more. Thanks again everyone
Wow. That's so cool! Us oldsters love you youngsters and love hearing that you've learned and grown while you've been here.

Last edited:
A Terribly Long Tribute of Appreciation

I’ve been meaning to share my story with you guys for a long while, and now is the perfect occasion to do so. This is extremely long, for which I apologize in advance. Even so, I feel like I haven't communicated everything I meant to say. :rolleyes: I tried to condense everything, but there was so much to say! xD

By a fortunate accident, I found TDL in January of 2009. I surfed through the forum a bit, and was extremely impressed.

The first thread which I read through in its entirety was BK’s “Give the Moviemakers Silly Ideas!” one. I remember sitting in front of the computer and dying of laughter. As I wrote in my journal, the ideas you guys came up with were even weirder and more wonderful than the things I dreamed at night. It was this thread which completely sold me on the forum.

You guys were just like me. You liked Narnia, didn’t approve of Twilight, valued insanity, liked to write, etc. Many of you were even Christians! This forum reminded me of another that I’d been a member of, which had closed some months before, only the average maturity rate here was significantly higher. ;)

I considered joining, but decided it would be best for me to wait until I was older.

1. I rarely got online, and wasn’t willing to make an investment in the forum if I would only sporadically be involved.

2. In the threads I liked and wanted to join, the average member was older and more mature than I was, and I had a paranoia about being annoying.

From time to time, I checked back and lurked for a while, but I knew that I’d made the right choice. In 2010, however, the VDT trailer was released. I ran around the house screaming in wrath, because I thought it looked terrible, and wailed to my sister until she got thoroughly sick of it.

I desperately felt a need to discuss it with someone who’d really understand, and remembered you guys. I impulsively joined, and my life has never been the same. :D

I enjoyed getting involved and being able to respond to threads, although I was still paranoid about being annoying. Long story short, I didn’t really have friends in real-life, and felt like nobody understood me. I liked youth group, but I felt that I was nothing but an intrusion. I convinced myself that I was awful, and although I was content with my personality, I assumed that nobody else would ever appreciate it.

I assumed that it would be the same here. I was at times reluctant to join into discussion. I had things to say, but was afraid that it would be arrogant to expect an audience without first gaining their friendship. Slowly, I overcame this, and saw that people could still value my opinions even though they didn’t know me.

At first, nobody really reached out in any overtures of friendship. I said that this was okay with me, because I didn't want to become good friends with someone online. In my limited experience, it only resulted in sadness if/when you lost contact with the other person. Now, this makes me want to laugh. I have made life-long friends on this forum!

For this reason, as well as the fact that I was still paranoid of being annoying, I was not willing to try to make friends myself. Then things began to change. I realized that people actually liked me. People liked me.

At first, I thought that you guys were just being nice. In the past, I had been in situations with people where I was friendly to them because they needed a friend, not because I actually liked them. I was afraid that perhaps it was the same with you. I thought that you were being kind, and did not really like me. After all, I was terrible, right? Who would like me?

Then this happened.

It was such a little thing, and yet it changed everything. Although the change was gradual, I realized that I actually was a nice person, and that people enjoyed being around me. This opened my eyes to realize that even though I didn’t really have real-life friends, that did not mean that everybody disliked me! Once I realized that I was not terrible, I began to make friends with you guys.

For a while, I turned to what my family and friends know as “the Narnia forum” because I had no friends. Everyone who appreciated me was here, and I felt so liberated to know that I was not alone. Then I made some real-life friends, during a youth retreat in April 2011.

GG is my best friend. I never thought that I would ever have anyone like her in my life. Other people had friends like that, but I didn’t think I would. Always in the past, my friends were friends of necessity (excluding family friends). We would never get together outside of youth group, we’d just hang out there because we had shared interests, and everyone else was talking about Justin Bieber.

GG actually really likes me, and that was such a new sensation at the time. xD I love her so much, and am so glad to know that she is there for me. I look forward to meeting her in real-life someday. In the meantime, I shall have to content myself with email, facebook, and letters.

I am so extremely thankful for the friends that I have made here. GG, Zella, Lossy, Glen, Sopes… (I’m sure I’m leaving someone out. o.o) All of these are people who I would never have met in “real life”. I am incredibly thankful that this forum was here to bring us together. I finally have real friends! I hope to meet you guys in real-life one day. I can’t imagine what my life would be like without you.

I just jumped into this thread so lemme see if I get this right.

Growing up has been crazy for me, and the internet has changed it DRASTICALLY in every aspect.

I really can't go through all that or this would be as long as the intro to a thread by a duffer :)D) and people may un-friend me LOL... (it's a joke, don't take that seriously ><) Now I'm sounding dufferish..

Here we go

I joined TDL, and had NO idea what I was doing! Only that I wanted to get involved with something Narnia themed, since I had been obsessed with it since I was about 7. About a year after my initial join, I decided to REALLY check it out, and I was friendly greeted by member, who are now, my best of friends! (AMDD, Glenburne and Narnia Ice Cream) This friendliness was JUST what I needed to stay! I started really getting into it, and another thing TDL helped me with was self confidence! I could post pictures and actually GET comments! Also, I met ahypergal (ashlee)! We started talking RIGHT away, realized how much alike we are, and have been talking EVERY single day! She boosted my confidence X10 during that time thats the hardest becoming a teen. The social aspect as a whole has brought the hyperness out in me! I can now go in public and be fairly happy and hyper without being awkward or embarrassed, I feel so much more social in my life OFF the social network. I've learn MANY life lessons, such as how to control your temper, from people on here. Finally this year has been great! Giving TDL up for Lent was the BEST thing I could do, because I started LITERALLY getting addicted to posting over others! Now coming back, I only get on TDL if I want and if I'm in a good mood. and I only post when I WANT to.

As a whole TDL has changed my life so much with: My teen awkwardness, My attitude as a whole, how I look at myself and others! TDL has been such a GREAT experience for me, and I want to thank EVERYONE here for it!

I am so extremely thankful for the friends that I have made here. GG, Zella, Lossy, Glen, Sopes… (I’m sure I’m leaving someone out. o.o) All of these are people who I would never have met in “real life”. I am incredibly thankful that this forum was here to bring us together. I finally have real friends! I hope to meet you guys in real-life one day. I can’t imagine what my life would be like without you.

I likes, it, precious. *gollumgollum* (I'd contribute, but I'm working on a case brief. Brown v. Board. Very fun, precious. Lots and lots of pages, but no fishess.)

(Overpost--I likes yours too, Hyper. *gollum*)

Last edited:
Back