^Yep, both Orlando and Cate were signed to the film recently. No news of Ian McKellen's signing or of Hugo Weaving though. I don't think either of them have been signed yet.

*at least I'm fairly certain Ian hasn't been signed. The last piece of news I read was that the acting union was still in negotiations for his contract*

I don't approve of Ian McKellen's values at all, but I hope that he plays Gandalf again... I can't imagine anyone else doing that part.

And to be perfectly honest, I don't see why Lee would be cast as Smaug. Wouldn't Hobbit be a good opportunity to introduce us to a good Saruman?

What iam thinking why not go to england and film the saruman scenes there like in sets

this is what I think, too. I know lee is old, so maybe they don't think they can make him look younger than when he was already corrupt in LOTR. :(

If he is Smaug, he will do well, because he is such a great actor and has a great voice. But I would have liked to seen Saruman before he turned.

I like having Orly back as Legolas, I liked him in LOTR. Cate, too, of course.

this is what I think, too. I know lee is old, so maybe they don't think they can make him look younger than when he was already corrupt in LOTR. :(

If he is Smaug, he will do well, because he is such a great actor and has a great voice. But I would have liked to seen Saruman before he turned.

Me too. I would like to see him while he was good.

I guess Lee would be a good voice for Smaug because he sounded convincing as the Jabberwocky. I just hope they make Smaug look cool in this version because the animated Smaug looked as if [Spoilers if you haven't seen the animated film] a cat's head was stuck on a dragon's body.

I don't see why that would be lowering himself. Smaug is a really cool character that a lot of fans like. Were Lee not going to act, Smaug is probably the best character to voice.

Well like always, I see that I'm in the minority and my opinions will always oppose the majority. So I'm just going to bow out of those conversations (including this one) and only post with people I agree with 100% of the time.

Well like always, I see that I'm in the minority and my opinions will always oppose the majority. So I'm just going to bow out of those conversations (including this one) and only post with people I agree with 100% of the time.
I'm sorry. I'm not trying to insult you. I was just trying to understand your meaning.

Usually, we're on the same side of an argument, aren't we? :rolleyes:

AK, just because someone disagrees with you or asks you to explain or defend an opinion doesn't mean you have to leave the discussion or that they have a personal problem with you. It's fair for anyone to disagree and/or ask for more information. If you can't defend what you've said, then you can just say, "Just my opinion," and let it go, or if you can defend it, you can go ahead and give your reasons, but you don't have to quit the discussion. It's not personal at all. We're all friends here ...

I own the Hobbit (but forgot that I did until a month or two ago) but have yet to read it. Or any of the Lord of the Rings books...I own the first on my Nook.

I honestly don't see why it is wrong for me to think that a talented actor like Lee would do a good job as Smaug.
it isn't wrong Miss R. AK just dislikes being on what appears to be the losing side of an argument.

I also think that if Lee wants to be the voice of Smaug, I'm all for it!! That's not lowering yourself when you're an actor. Jeeze, how many great actors have voiced some of the most ridiculous CGI movies of today? Many. They don't consider it lowering yourself. It's work for Pete's sake. If I was 90 years old, I would love to get a gig voicing a cool character like Smaug rather than just laying in bed being spoonfed by a big nurse! :D

"We're all friends here."
Not so, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Even if it's a little too rosy.

Um, wow....
Please don't bow out because people disagree with you. Without disagreement, these threads would be nothing but "I liked this", "I liked that", "I agree!" BORING. No one's offended or attacked you here - yet. If they do, they should leave, not you. You've only stated your opinion!

Anyway, I think that Lee should definitely return as Saruman, but just to let you know, he was already corrupt during the events of the Hobbit, just not publicly.

As for Lee voicing Smaug, I wouldn't mind it; he's got a great voice. I'd rather him play Saruman again... but there's also the possibility of both: John Rhys-Davies played Gimli and voiced Treebeard, after all. Though Treebeard sounded totally different. Smaug would have a more "normal" voice, that isn't played with by effects, as far as I know. If Lee hadn't played Saruman already, I'd totally be for his voicing Smaug, but as it stands I think I'd prefer a different actor.

I heard last night that Ian McKellan will return as Gandalf.
Good. He was a terrific Gandalf. I can't imagine anyone else in the role.

but I feel the same way about Saruman, and I wish they would think of a way to include Lee as Saruman without his having to travel - I understand why an old guy like that doesnt want to be far from home for a long time ... but maybe they could arrange his scenes to be shot near home for him.

I heard last night that Ian McKellan will return as Gandalf.
Good. He was a terrific Gandalf. I can't imagine anyone else in the role.

but I feel the same way about Saruman, and I wish they would think of a way to include Lee as Saruman without his having to travel - I understand why an old guy like that doesnt want to be far from home for a long time ... but maybe they could arrange his scenes to be shot near home for him.

Back