Which of the Marvel hero's are your favorites?

• Total voters
Age of Ultron didn't, though. So, I sat through 8 minutes of credits for nothing.

*raises hand* I was one of those people. Now, I look on IMDB during the credits to see if there's another scene, if they don't list one, I leave! (Go to that movie's page on imdb then go down to Crazy Credits.)

as I said before, there's a LOT of New Age and Eastern mysticism. It made me roll my eyes throughout most of the movie. And honestly, the villains are kinda freaky. I guess you can say that about most Marvel movie villains, but these are disturbingly freaky, IMHO. That said, it's still a good movie. Just not one I'll watch more than once or twice, probably. :)

I've read that the director is actually a Christian, which is interesting. Obviously he had to work with the source material, which includes a lot of mystical nonsense (and might have prompted him to cast the Ancient One as non-Asian, so as not to be too stereotypical). Funny--the Wikipedia article says the early Dr. Strange comics were so strange that some people thought the writers must be on drugs! But the movie raises some pretty interesting questions about good and evil. Kaecilius's defection actually makes sense, and so does Mordo's falling away at the end. Some of the issues reminded me of Plato's whole Noble Lie concept. At least in superhero movies, the Noble Lie usually seems to backfire.

I've read that the director is actually a Christian, which is interesting. Obviously he had to work with the source material, which includes a lot of mystical nonsense (and might have prompted him to cast the Ancient One as non-Asian, so as not to be too stereotypical). Funny--the Wikipedia article says the early Dr. Strange comics were so strange that some people thought the writers must be on drugs! But the movie raises some pretty interesting questions about good and evil. Kaecilius's defection actually makes sense, and so does Mordo's falling away at the end. Some of the issues reminded me of Plato's whole Noble Lie concept. At least in superhero movies, the Noble Lie usually seems to backfire.

That's very interesting. And I have noticed the Noble Lie backfiring in superhero films.

Yes, "Ant-Man" was humorous, and the humor carried over to the character's appearance in "Captain America/Civil War," where it served to lighten up what was really a VERY sad story.

Back when the Doctor Who series was new, the scriptwriters considered an episode sufficiently suspenseful if the Doctor and three or four companions were in deadly peril. But as the TV seasons went by, and I mean well before the long hiatus and the resumption, they felt a need to up the ante. Eventually the writers were starting to think that an episode was yawning dull if it did not AT A MINIMUM threaten total destruction to a densely populated planet.

The universe of Marvel Comics movies has the same bigger-is-better syndrome, which leads to some contradiction regarding who or what is THE VERY WORST threat to the universe. "The dark energy of Svartalfheim is the supreme ultimate evil!" "No, Thanos is the supreme ultimate evil!" "You're both wrong, Dormammu is the supreme ultimate evil!"

Against this backdrop, the movie "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," which I greatly enjoyed EVEN THOUGH Steve and Natasha DIDN'T get together as they should have, is undeservedly burdened with a sense of trivialness. Its plot "only" threatened our own single world with a dictatorship, ho hum. The Captain's victory over Hydra scarcely made any
difference, because it left Svartalfheim, Thanos and Dormammu as threatening as ever; and one of those evils would soon have shouldered Hydra aside as minor-leaguers if Hydra HAD succeeded.

I like stories with a "manageable" crisis, one that my emotions can take in. Each of my own Grey Eagle novels has an action climax with, like, thirty or forty persons in immediate peril. That's quite enough potential casualties to let the heroes be heroic saving them.

(I like it that, in an alternate, animated Marvel universe, Steve and Natasha DO get together.)

(I like it that, in an alternate, animated Marvel universe, Steve and Natasha DO get together.)

You refer to "Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow"? That was a pretty good little film.

I agree with you about the BIGGER threats all of the time. Honestly, though, I felt that "Civil War"'s biggest failing was its villain. Zemo wasn't even as theatrical as Alexander Pierce, and definitely not up to the Red Skull's level of villainy. He had absolutely nothing to do with the comic book villain his name came from.

I've found myself preferring the X-Men films recently. They're staying more grounded, with smaller threats in comparison (not universe-ending, anyway).

I suppose they figured that an impressive bad guy would have been wasted, when the real point was to make Iron Man fight Captain America.

One of my good friends had never seen Captain America until last week. The three of us decided that we should watch all the Marvel films (not including Fantastic Four) in order. Most lists suggest you start with Captain America; though why I'm not sure unless it has something to do with the Tesseract or SHIELD getting its foundation there? Anyways, she really liked CA and next on our list is Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. I've seen pretty much all the main Marvel films (minus Deadpool and Guardians 2) so it's going to be great to watch them in order this time! I haven't watched Iron Man or Hulk in a loooonnnggg time!

Against this backdrop, the movie "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," which I greatly enjoyed EVEN THOUGH Steve and Natasha DIDN'T get together...

You know, I have to agree with you and that was one of my favorite bits of the animated movie. Normally, I like it when a comic book films adhere to the source material as much as possible * but at the same time I acknowledge that film, unlike comic books doesn't have the benefit of long-form serialized narratives that can allow for the rotating love interests. Things need to be condensed, and when your leads, like Steve and Natasha have such good chemistry it works to pair them together. It certainly would have been more feasible then her thing with Hulk in Age of Ultron.

I liked it a lot better than the previous two Thor movies. The actor playing Thor seems to do comedy a lot better than Shakespearian-sounding drama. (Also, no Jane, which made me happy. I never liked Jane.)

Hella never seems to realize that maybe she should try to calmly put in a legal claim to the throne, rather than immediately starting to obliterate people. But aside from her questionable strategic planning....

The point is (1) that Hela _enjoys_ killing, and (2) that actors who've played some noble and pure character seem _always_ to want to move on and play someone horrible. Just as Cate Blanchette moved from being Galadriel to being Hela, so Elijah Wood moved from being Frodo to being a psychotic murderer in "Sin City."

I liked it a lot better than the previous two Thor movies. The actor playing Thor seems to do comedy a lot better than Shakespearian-sounding drama. (Also, no Jane, which made me happy. I never liked Jane.)

Hella never seems to realize that maybe she should try to calmly put in a legal claim to the throne, rather than immediately starting to obliterate people. But aside from her questionable strategic planning....

I really loved it. The Thor/Hulk banter was hilarious. I felt like it was their own Civil War since they were distinctly left out of it! Oh, and I came away from it loving Loki even more. I've loved him ever since Avengers 1, even though he's technically a bad guy.

The point is (1) that Hela _enjoys_ killing, and (2) that actors who've played some noble and pure character seem _always_ to want to move on and play someone horrible. Just as Cate Blanchette moved from being Galadriel to being Hela, so Elijah Wood moved from being Frodo to being a psychotic murderer in "Sin City."

Cate plays evil well, much as I disliked Hela. However I don't think it's necessarily a desire to go from a pure character to an absolutely evil character-they're actors. It broadens their resumes and possibly offers a challenge in playing something so evil/cruel. It's also probably a desire NOT to be typecast as a certain type of character, even though inevitably, I think they will always remain as Galadriel and Frodo to the fans, just as Chris Hemsworth will always be Thor to any Marvel fan watching any other movie of his.

Back