How does a Duffer's brain work?

Which example is most indicative of how a Duffer's brain works?

• Total voters

Sopespian

It’s funny that I, a Telmarine, should be starting a Duffer thread, but I’m making a serious effort to figure something out, with, hopefully the help of the more Dufferish of my fellows: just how does a Duffer’s brain work, anyway? Now, here we have a few examples of just how Duffers brains might work. I feel that if I know how your brains work, I can relate to you much better. Please, vote on the poll, and make your opinions known. I further believe that if those who post in this thread could provide their own examples, it would be helpful as I try to determine how you folks think as I learn how to best connect with you. Following are some examples of how I think Duffers’ brain may work. Thanks for your help!

Sopespian, loyal apprentice of Dr. Byrne

Example 1:

Duffer 1: I like my music really jazzed up. How about you?
Duffer 2: Me, too. Hey, do you remember when Pepsi made Pepsi Jazz?
Duffer 3: That stuff was awful! Pepsi Twist was so much better.
Duffer 1: So when’s the last time anybody played the game Twister?
Duffer 2: Me? Never. But I have this cousin whose house was destroyed by a twister once.
Duffer 3: Really? Wow. Hey, isn’t cheese super?
Duffer 1: No, I hate cheese.
Duffer 2: What? Treason! You are hereby thrown into the Insane Asylum!
Duffer 3: What good is an asylum if it’s insane?
Duffer 2: Not the asylum, you idiot! The inhabitants!
Duffer 3: Oh, uh… anybody want some pie (may pie live forever)?

Example 2:

Duffer 1: I have so many addictions. You know, cheese, movie stars, sitcoms, TDL, video games, and the like.
Duffer 2: Wait – what’s “The Like”?
Duffer 3: Oh, you know, it’s that button they have on Facebook.
Duffer 1: No, no, ‘the like’ is just an expression. It means ‘stuff like the previous stuff mentioned”. Man, you guys need an education.
Duffer 3: Well, it might help if we first got a life.
Duffer 2: Wait – what’s a life?
Duffer 3: I don’t really know.
Duffer 1: Me neither. I just hear other people, you know, non-Duffers, talking about it sometimes.
Duffer 2: Hmm. Maybe I’ll have to look into that.

Example 3:

Duffer 1: Mmm… cheese is good.
Duffer 2: May pie live forever.
Duffer 3: Oh, what a shiny trash can! Can I keep it?
Duffer 1: Why would anyone want to keep a trash can?
Duffer 2: Well, how could anyone like cheese?
Duffer 3: Cheese is easy. What I don’t get it is how anyone could like pie.
Duffer 2: Then you belong in the insane asylum.
Duffer 3: Fine! But you’re coming with me.
Duffer 1: I’d better go along to make sure you two don’t kill each other.

Caspian: SOPYSPIN IS AN APPRENTICE TO DOC BYRNE? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs around in circles screaming before diving under a couch*
Dorthy: :rolleyes: The following is a demonstration of how a duffer cat's mind works. DISCLAIMER: No cats were harmed in the making of this demonstration. Now, LIGHTS!

*lights dim*
*giant stage light focuses on an erupting volcano*

Flower: ITS MT. DOOM! YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!!!!!! *runs towards Mt. Doom*
Frodo: ITS NOT YOUR CUE YET! GET BACK HERE! *camera is thrown on the ground while Frodo runs after Flower*
Toto: Oy, why am I here again?
Toto: Woof.
Toto: Why's my namesake here?
Toto: Why's MY namesake and my namesake's namesake here?
Toto: I have no idea.
Caspian: PURRSONALITY CRISIS!:eek:
Frodo: THEY'RE TAKING MY NAMESAKE TO ISENGARD!
Toto: o_O I think /I/ have issues.
Dorthy: CUT! YOU ALL FAIL!
Caspian: TOMATOES AWAY! *shoots tomatoes at everyone in sight*
Dorthy: DUCK AND WEAVE SMOKEY!
Smokey: Huh?
Mozart: *flies in on the Secret Weapon* DEATH OR PUMPKINS! *shoots frozen pumpkins down upon innocent and not so innocent bystanders*
Dorthy: Uhhhhhh...... *closes curtian* That's all for now folks!

A duffer's brain is like a mutated sponge... It soaks up all the information of the world, then whenever you squeeze it the contents will either be a bright colorful liquid, cool aid or candy when it spews out. It also happens to make weird, nonsensical noises, and sometimes strange giggling can be heard. No traces of an "attention span" (whatever that is!) could be recorded or demonstrated.

I thought it was like this:

rube-goldberg.jpg

Well I looked at this thread title and literally my first thought was "A Duffer's brain works on Jello"

of your examples 3 is the closest but really it's more like

Person 1: PUDDING!!!
Person 2: *Dives into pudding*
Person 3: *Eats pudding*
Person 4: I do so love a cardboard coated pudding, don't you?
Person 5: Cheese.
Person 6: Broken out of any good insane asylums lately?
Person 7: Nothin' to brag about...

I'm having trouble with "duffer's brain" and "work" in the same sentence.

Matter of fact, I'm having trouble with the words "duffer" and "brain" in the same sentence.

I guess, having said that, it's too late to ask if I can borrow money....

Caspian: SOPYSPIN IS AN APPRENTICE TO DOC BYRNE? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs around in circles screaming before diving under a couch*

Dr. Byrne: I welcome Sopespian as my apprentice and admire his interest in rational analysis. To be frank, I am unsure as to whether all Duffers have brains: at least, Glen claims that hers was eaten by GG. But analysis of what substance fills their skull cavity is equally beneficial.

EDIT BY GLEN: I would like to point out that, at least in regards to example 2, almost no Duffers that I am aware of are addicted to movie stars or sitcoms. Fangirls and Duffers historically (so far as I'm aware) haven't gotten along that well. Which is why the fangirls (i.e. 'nites) have their own threads. Although their threads seem a little deadish at the moment. If you want to know more about actual Duffer addictions, check the addiction threads. Or look here.

Last edited:
Dr. Byrne: I welcome Sopespian as my apprentice and admire his interest in rational analysis. To be frank, I am unsure as to whether all Duffers have brains: at least, Glen claims that hers was eaten by GG. But analysis of what substance fills their skull cavity is equally beneficial.

EDIT BY GLEN: I would like to point out that, at least in regards to example 2, almost no Duffers that I am aware of are addicted to movie stars or sitcoms. Fangirls and Duffers historically (so far as I'm aware) haven't gotten along that well. Which is why the fangirls (i.e. 'nites) have their own threads. Although their threads seem a little deadish at the moment. If you want to know more about actual Duffer addictions, check the addiction threads. Or look here.

Hey! I'm a proud fangirl.

I just fangirlize about abnormal things...

You'll note that the Faramirnites and Aragornites thread is in Dufferland. :cool:

*Eats nites*

*Re-eats Glen's brain*

*Eats Dr. Byrne's brain*

You don't obsess about Will, or other male actors in the way I meant (as far as I know...I tend to avoid the Faramir/Aragorn thread--anyway, you keep it contained). Those are the sort of fangirls I meant. As in, "Look at this picture of Will! Don't you love what he's wearing?"

EDIT: Just ventured into the Faramir/Aragorn thread. And found this:

*mounts Oliphaunt using grappling hook*

off we go! :D

And a lot of similar posts. Explain again how arguing over which character is better equals falling in love with the color of Skandar's eyes?

Last edited:
Duffer brains DO work. They produce digestive enzymes and are directly involved in the immune system. That's why they break down logic and can't catch a hint.

I'm pretty sure our brains flout about in a state of non-existance and admire each other's bright colors.

*oooh, you are such a pretty electric blue*

*oh, no, your neon pink is much more attractive*

*have you seen that one fluffly emerald brain flying around lately?*

Dr. Lava: Duffers brains work very similarly to the locomotion of a monopod, they leap and bound all over the place never looking where the next bound might fall and never really caring either. The brains do tend to care where the leaps go though.

Tobey: I dost pick the first option.

Gibbs: I like pizza, come on Tobey lets have a bite. Wait no the donuts have SUGAR, YUM.

You don't obsess about Will, or other male actors in the way I meant (as far as I know...I tend to avoid the Faramir/Aragorn thread--anyway, you keep it contained). Those are the sort of fangirls I meant. As in, "Look at this picture of Will! Don't you love what he's wearing?"

EDIT: Just ventured into the Faramir/Aragorn thread. And found this:

And a lot of similar posts. Explain again how arguing over which character is better equals falling in love with the color of Skandar's eyes?

Well I used to obsess over actors like that, then I found better things to obsess over.

Heh. Heheh. I'm flattered. :cool:

(I do quite like the color of both Aragorn's and Faramir's eyes...)

*eats Badger*

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Who needs pizza? I've got a brace of conies and taters.

*eats*

Dr. Lava: Duffers brains work very similarly to the locomotion of a monopod, they leap and bound all over the place never looking where the next bound might fall and never really caring either. The brains do tend to care where the leaps go though.

Tobey: I dost pick the first option.

Gibbs: I like pizza, come on Tobey lets have a bite. Wait no the donuts have SUGAR, YUM.

Like over cliffs?

Back