Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Noldor--Known for wisdom and invention

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Teleri (Sea-elves) Known for song and as builders of ships

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Teleri (Sindar)--Remained in Beleriand under Thingol and Melian

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Yes, the Rin Tin Tin of Middle-Earth became the only created being ever to defeat Sauron unassisted in a one-against-one slug-it-out fight!

You said it, Joe!

I'm about to finish Silmarillion, and I really liked getting more of the back story of Gandalf/Mithrandir and the birds'-eye-view version of the Lord of the Rings. I think it is beautiful how seeing virtue, corruption, redemption and tragedy on a epic scale helps clarify our thinking re: what is really important in our ordinary lives as well.

Speaking of the two trees, I have two weeping fig trees that are now being kept at my mom's house. When away at college, I would take the brown one and she would keep the white one. Thus, we always referred to them as Telperion and Silpion. :D Unfortunately, my mom has them both now... so we can't continue our little game...

Is there a thread for The Silmarillion already?

I reread it this year and fell absolutely in love... However, I know almost no one who has read it.. and even fewer who read it and enjoyed it.

And I really want to discuss it with people! I think I like it more than the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Maybe that makes me weird.. Does that make me weird? I don't care.

Have any of ya'll read The Silmarillion? Any thoughts or opinions on it?

I reread it this year and fell absolutely in love... However, I know almost no one who has read it.. and even fewer who read it and enjoyed it.

And I really want to discuss it with people! I think I like it more than the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Maybe that makes me weird.. Does that make me weird? I don't care.

I read up to page 2...then quit. That was years ago. I've never picked it up since. :eek:

I really loved it. But it is a very different style from LotR or The Hobbit, and I think people sometimes come to it expecting something similar and end up disappointed. If you like myths, though, it's great. And it helps make sense of a lot of things in LotR.

I read it. It's something of a rite of passage for Tolkien fans. Actually, I'm about due for a re-read...

The Silmarillion is really sad, though. Reading it, you get a sense that Middle Earth is irreparably broken.

Reading LotR after reading the Sil. becomes considerably more depressing. Still love both, though.

I read it. It's something of a rite of passage for Tolkien fans. Actually, I'm about due for a re-read...

The Silmarillion is really sad, though. Reading it, you get a sense that Middle Earth is irreparably broken.

That was something that I really loved about it; the overarching theme of the world being broken. It gave the whole story a bittersweet kind of feeling, and it reminded me a lot of how things are in our world. It's broken and messed up and things won't really be fixed until the world is remade.

I always felt really sad at the end of Lord of the Rings when the elves and Gandalf left, but now having read the Silmarillion that ending has such a bigger impact for me. Again, comparing the themes of the book to the real world, we can have victories over evil and lots of good things happen, but the really and truly ultimate victory of good over evil has yet to happen. We're still waiting for that day.

Maybe that was what really excited me about the book; the way it got me to think about the real world and (as a Christian) my hopeful expectance of the day when God will put everything right again.

Hi Lady of Narnia--
I merged your thread with two older threads on The Silmarillion all together so you can enjoy what others have said about it. I have read it but it's been a while; all I can remember was how much I loved the tale of Beren and Lúthien, how beautiful the description of the two trees was, how wickedly evil Morgoth and his ilk were, and how sad parts of it were. To me, this book had more of a mythic feel to it.

Vanyar, all day. Why leave paradise if you don't have to. Love how noble the other elves are, all they accomplish on Middle Earth, all the beauty the create etc. but, no. I would trade it all in to live as Eru Ilúvatar initially intended. I'm not playing around with Melkor/Morgoth.

Back