Quote Thread

"There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself." -The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

“I couldn’t have left the others and come up to you alone, how could I? Don’t look at me like that… oh well, I suppose I could. Yes, and it wouldn’t have been alone, I know, not if I was with you.” –Lucy in Prince Caspian

“To know that would have happened, child? No. Nobody is ever told that. But anyone can find out what will happen. If you go back to the others now, and wake them up; and tell that you have seen me again; and that you mst all get up at once and follow me—what will happen? There is only one way of finding out.” –Aslan in Prince Caspian

“ ‘Do you mean that is what you want me to do?’ gasped Lucy.
‘Yes, little one,’ said Aslan.
‘Will the others see you too?’ asked Lucy.
‘Certainly not at first,’ said Aslan. ‘Later on, it depends.’
‘But they won’t believe me!’ said Lucy.
‘It doesn’t matter,’ said Aslan.” -Prince Caspian

I like Reepicheep's movie quote: "We have anxiously awaited your return, my liege. Our hearts and swords are at your service."

There are so many, but I really like these:

“The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning." And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this is the end of all stories, and we can most truly say they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”
-The Last Battle

“When things go wrong, you'll find they usually go on getting worse for some time; but when things once start to go right they often go on getting better and better.”
-The Magician’s Nephew

"This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."
-Aslan, Voyage of the Dawn Treader

this my favorite qoute from the Last Battle......" It was the Unicorn who sumed up what everyone was feeling. He stamped his right fore-hoof on the ground and neighed , and then cried I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now...Come further up, come further in!"

Corin's witticism to Rabadash is pretty good:
"Beware! Beware! Beware! The bolt of Tash falls from above!"
"Does it ever get caught on a hook half-way?"

And Ramandu explaining his retirement is lovely too:
"Every morning a bird brings me a fire-berry from the valleys of the Sun, and each fire-berry takes away a little of my age. And when I have become as young as a child that was born yesterday, then I shall take my rising once again"

And whilst he's evil as heck, the Tisroc's calm but menacing manner is very quotable:
"Undoubtedly you will dare, because you will find that the dangers of not doing so are at least equally great"
And:
"May the strength of Tash the inexorable, the irresistible be in your sword and lance"

Too many quotes threads, too little space. Two other quotes threads have now been merged with the sticky.

And this quote is hilarious.

“A dragon has just flown over the tree-tops and lighted on the beach. Yes, I am afraid it is between us and the ship. And arrows are no use against dragons. And they're not at all afraid of fire."

"With your Majesty's leave-" began Reepicheep.

"No, Reepicheep," said the King very firmly, "you are not to attempt a single combat with it.”

Last edited:
"Narnia , Narnia, Narnia, awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters"
Narnia The Magician's Nephew

"But for them it was only the beginning of a real story . All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.
- Narnia The Last Battle

Those two are a couple of my favorites.

Some of my favourite quotes from the first four books (I'll come back later with quotes for the last three after I've re-read them):

"Son," said Aslan to the Cabby, "I have known you long. Do you know me?"
"Well, no, sir," said the Cabby. "Leastways, not in an ordinary manner of speaking. Yet I feel somehow, if I may make so free, as 'ow we've met before."
"It is well," said the Lion. "You know better than you think you know, and you shall live to know me better yet." ~ The Magician's Nephew

"They say that Aslan is on the move--perhaps has already landed."
And now a very curious thing happened. None of the children knew who Aslan was any more than you do; but the moment the Beaver had spoken these words everyone felt quite different. Perhaps it has sometimes happened to you in a dream that someone says something which you don't understand but in the dream it feels as if it had some enormous meaning--either a terrifying one which turns the whole dream into a nightmare or else a lovely meaning too lovely to put into words, which makes the dream so beautiful that you remember it all your life and are always wishing you could get into that dream again. It was like that now. At the name of Aslan each one of the children felt something jump in its inside. Edmund felt a sensation of mysterious horror. Peter felt suddenly brave and adventurous. Susan felt as if some delicious smell or some delightful strain of music had just floated by her. And Lucy got the feeling you have when you wake up in the morning and realize that it is the beginning of the holidays or the beginning of summer. ~ The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

"But what does it all mean?" asked Susan when they were somewhat calmer.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the Witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backward." ~ The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

"Oh!" said Susan in a different tone. "Look! I wonder--I mean, is it safe?"
Lucy looked and saw that Aslan had just breathed on the feet of the stone giant.
"It's all right!" shouted Aslan joyously. "Once the feet are put right, all the rest of him will follow."
"That wasn't exactly what I meant," whispered Susan to Lucy. ~ The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

"It is very true," said Edmund. "But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." And he looked very thoughtful. ~ The Horse and His Boy

*​

"Who are you?" asked Shasta.
"Myself," said the Voice, very deep and low so that the earth shook: and again "Myself," loud and clear and gay: and then a third time "Myself," whispered so softly you could hardly hear it, and yet it seemed to come from all around you as if the leaves rustled it. ~ The Horse and His Boy

Aravis also had many quarrels (and I'm afraid, even fights) with Cor, but they always made it up again: so that years later, when they were grown up, they were so used to quarreling and making up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently. ~ The Horse and His Boy

"Now, once and for all, Nikabrik," said Trumpkin. "Will you contain yourself, or must Trufflehunter and I sit on your head?" ~ Prince Caspian

"That's the worst of girls," said Edmund to Peter and the Dwarf. "They never carry a map in their heads."
"That's because our heads have something inside them, " said Lucy. ~ Prince Caspian

"Don't talk like a grown-up," said Lucy, stamping her foot. "I didn't think I saw him. I saw him." ~ Prince Caspian

Then after an awful pause, the deep voice said, "Susan." Susan made no answer but the others thought she was crying. "You have listened to your fears, child," said Aslan. "Come, let me breathe on you. Forget them. Are you brave again?"
"A little, Aslan," said Susan. ~ Prince Caspian

"Bother!" said Edmund. "I've left my new torch in Narnia." ~ Prince Caspian

Last edited:
From page 36 (or the last words of chapter 2): "The difference is that people want to hear the stories, whereas I never heard of anyone who wanted to read the essays."

The context was that Calormenes were taught storytelling whereas English schoolchildren were taught to write essays.

MrBob

My favourite Voyage of the Dawn Treader quotes:

There was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.

*​

"But that would be putting the clock back," gasped the governor. "Have you no idea of progress, of development?"
"I have seen them both in an egg," said Caspian. "We call it 'Going Bad' in Narnia. This [slave] trade must stop."

*​

"With your Majesty's leave--" began Reepicheep.
"No, Reepicheep," said the King very firmly, "you are not to attempt a single combat with it [the dragon]."

*​

"That's all right," said Edmund. "Between ourselves, you haven't been as bad as I was on my first trip to Narnia. You were only an ass, but I was a traitor."

"You can say what you like, Reepicheep. There are some things no man can face." [Caspian]
"It is, then, my good fortune not to be a man," replied Reepicheep with a very stiff bow.

*​

"Oh, Aslan," said Lucy. "Will you tell us how to get into your country from our world?"
"I shall be telling you all the time," said Aslan. "But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder."

*​
"Are--are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
"I am." said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."

Aww, thanks, @inkspot! 🤗

My favourite Silver Chair quotes:

[Aslan to Jill Pole] "Stand still. In a moment I will blow. But, first, remember, remember, remember the signs. Say them to yourself when you wake in the morning and when you lie down at night. And whatever strange things may happen to you, let nothing turn your mind from following the signs. And secondly, I give you a warning. Here on the mountain I have spoken to you clearly: I will not often do so down in Narnia. Here on the mountain, the air is clear and your mind is clear; as you drop down into Narnia, the air will thicken. Take great care that it does not confuse your mind. And the signs which you have learned here will not look at all as you expect them to look, when you meet them there. That is why it is so important to know them by heart and pay no attention to appearances. Remember the signs and believe the signs. Nothing else matters."

*​

"Better tell him I'm Eustace," said Scrubb.
"The boy's Eustace, my lord," hooted the Owl as loud as it could.
"Useless?" said the Dwarf irritably. "I dare say he is. Is that any reason for bringing him to court? Hey?"

"Many have taken ship at the pale beaches," replied the Warden, "and--"
"Yes, I know," interrupted Puddleglum. "And few return to the sunlit lands. You needn't say it again. You are a chap of one idea, aren't you?"

"I don't know about that," said Puddleglum. "You see, Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen. He only told her what to do. That fellow will be the death of us once he's up, I shouldn't wonder. But that doesn't let us off following the sign."

[Puddleglum to the witch] "Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things--trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have, Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

Back