Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr- Christopher Paolini III - Post all Eragon here

I just read a non-fan's review.

Said review was 33,000 words, which is the size of a novella.

It was very, very thorough, although the review did say that it was the best of the tril...er, cycle.

Do you guys think he'll write more fantasy or go somewhere different? Personally, I'd like to see Paolini expand and try his hand at something new.

might i add..

the exchange between Eragon and Murtagh after the big fight was one of my favorite parts of the book. EPIC!! and a bit heart wrenching..i wanted Murtagh to stay so badly, stay and rebuild his relationship with Eragon, stay and continue his new relationship with Nasuada, stay and make things better with the dwarfs. but it was as it should be. he and Thorne needed to go off and be alone for some time, rebuild themselves so to speak..

"be careful" -Eragon
"you too...brother" -Murtagh

"...brother" -Eragon

AWESOME!!

I just read a non-fan's review.

Said review was 33,000 words, which is the size of a novella.

It was very, very thorough, although the review did say that it was the best of the tril...er, cycle.

Do you guys think he'll write more fantasy or go somewhere different? Personally, I'd like to see Paolini expand and try his hand at something new.

I would like to see him write more fantasy, because based upon interviews I have read of his he seems mainly a fantasy reader, and can do wonders with other books or series in the fantasy genre.

Now I'm reading the first novel of this saga, and the first thirty pages aren't boring so I'm going to follow :D

All I'm gonna say is that the first book is interesting and fast-paced and its worth struggling through Eldest and Brisingr to get to Inheritance. Don't get me wrong, they're good books, but Eldest and Brisingr.... drag oooon and ooon at some parts.:p

The second and third are the least derivative of the saga IMO, Inheritance was trapped by some of the dirivate plot points of the first book.

A friend of mine told me that she could not read the books because the were boring, but I must say that I'm reading two novels at the same time, "Eragon" and "Prince Caspian", the second is short, so I when I finish it I will come to Eragon. But may be I decide first read the rest of the Chronicles.

All I'm gonna say is that the first book is interesting and fast-paced and its worth struggling through Eldest and Brisingr to get to Inheritance. Don't get me wrong, they're good books, but Eldest and Brisingr.... drag oooon and ooon at some parts.:p

I agree with you that they do tend to drag on lol. I don't think they should've been that long. I felt that way with Inheritance that it did drag on some parts too. Eragon was interesting all the way through, but I was getting tired of reading some of Eldest, Brisingr, and Inheritance. I think that Christopher Paolini is a good author, but he should go back and have the books re-edited and condense them into lesser chapters.

I tried the first one. It was based on LotR a bit too much for me. I mean, "Eragon and Arya'? Really? (Aragorn and Arwen)

Its not really based on LOTR, it just stole a bunch of stuff from it. And from Star Wars and numerous other things. That didn't really bug me when I read the first book though, but after reading four books and having Paolini not grow out of it and move on it got pretty tiring. I mean all writers copy off of other books and authors SOME (even Tolkien and Lewis) throughout their books- especially when they first start- but to keep doing it in large amounts like Paolini just gets annoying.
There were some original elements to it, just not enough in the overarching plot or in the themes of the books.

I was the opposite of you Mozart.

I found the middle two books got away from the LOTR-ness, but since alot of stuff was already established in E, so the fourth book was stuck tying those ends up.

Point out the similarites for me please?

(I am not trying to be rude, I just havent read the book in a while.)

The End.

No seriously, the end is almost like word-for-word copied from LOTR. Its sad. Eragon leaves Alegasia on a white ship heading out to the sea to live on an island and leaves Arya behind. And he can't come back.
Put Frodo and Sam's names there and you have LOTR.

I thought the climax of the last book was pretty good as far as originality though, alot of the book was. The end killed it though (even without the originality problem). Just don't read like the last 100 pages after the climax.:rolleyes:

its copied

Just because its not totally original doesnt mean it cannot be good.

Star Wars: based of all the old space serials like Flash Gordon etc. and the film The Hidden Fortress by Akura Kurosawa.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: old serials.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: Gunga Din.

http://www.theraider.net/information/influences/inspirations.php
http://www.theraider.net/information/influences/classics.php
http://cineleet.com/2008/05/22/before-the-galaxy-far-far-away/

Not to mention Ben Hur and The Phantom Menace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwgyCmSYI9Q

Last edited:
Just because its not totally original doesnt mean it cannot be good.

That's not what I said. Read ALL of my post, don't just pick out two words and say I'm horrible because of them. I liked the book(s) overall but the ending of Inheritance was just disapointing (I think) and, as I said before, that is not totally due to the fact that the very end is unorginal. The end just drags ooon and oooooooon tying up everything you wanted to know, didn't want to know and really didn't care to know about everything in the series. There is not supposed to be one hundred sum pages after the climax, there's supposed to be like 2-20, less or more if you can do it well and make it interesting. On the other end of the spectrum Warriors: The Last Hope ended much too quickly for my liking.

But I digress. I think my books are good and they are definately not totally original. Very little is totally original (I think I mentioned that before too) especially in fantasy terms. I like the Inheritance cycle (I own all four books too) and its a good series. I just think Paolini needs to branch out in his storywriting skills and become MORE original and stop trying to copy endings.:p
I've also read another book series called The Archives or Anthropos that is very similar to Narnia in some respects, but the author makes the books his own. He actually said (paraphrased), "I tried copying at first, but I quickly learned that copying gets you nowhere." he branches out and- though his books have quite a few similarities to Narnia and LOTR- adds his own new things into the story. He makes it his own story. Those are some of my very favorite books, right there with Narnia and LOTR.
Trust me, I KNOW that books that aren't totally original can be good. Paolini just goes over the top sometimes in my opinion.

Last edited:
The End.

No seriously, the end is almost like word-for-word copied from LOTR. Its sad. Eragon leaves Alegasia on a white ship heading out to the sea to live on an island and leaves Arya behind. And he can't come back.
Put Frodo and Sam's names there and you have LOTR.

I thought the climax of the last book was pretty good as far as originality though, alot of the book was. The end killed it though (even without the originality problem). Just don't read like the last 100 pages after the climax.:rolleyes:

Exactly. It's the hero's I saved the land for you, but not for me thing. I am to badly wounded by what has happened, so I have to leave. If that's not just like LOTR, than I don't know what is?

That's not what I said. Read ALL of my post, don't just pick out two words and say I'm horrible because of them. I liked the book(s) overall but the ending of Inheritance was just disapointing (I think) and, as I said before, that is not totally due to the fact that the very end is unorginal. The end just drags ooon and oooooooon tying up everything you wanted to know, didn't want to know and really didn't care to know about everything in the series. There is not supposed to be one hundred sum pages after the climax, there's supposed to be like 2-20, less or more if you can do it well and make it interesting. On the other end of the spectrum Warriors: The Last Hope ended much too quickly for my liking.

But I digress. I think my books are good and they are definately not totally original. Very little is totally original (I think I mentioned that before too) especially in fantasy terms. I like the Inheritance cycle (I own all four books too) and its a good series. I just think Paolini needs to branch out in his storywriting skills and become MORE original and stop trying to copy endings.:p
I've also read another book series called The Archives or Anthropos that is very similar to Narnia in some respects, but the author makes the books his own. He actually said (paraphrased), "I tried copying at first, but I quickly learned that copying gets you nowhere." he branches out and- though his books have quite a few similarities to Narnia and LOTR- adds his own new things into the story. He makes it his own story. Those are some of my very favorite books, right there with Narnia and LOTR.
Trust me, I KNOW that books that aren't totally original can be good. Paolini just goes over the top sometimes in my opinion.

I never said you were horrible.....

Also like I said, if he had not set the storyline in book 1, book 4 would have been more original, especially if he had not written the stupid prophecy in Teirm.

Back