Casting Ideas

So we've heard recently that The Silver Chair movie will have an entirely new cast from the previous movies.

Here's you chance! What would be your dream cast for the film? Any actor! You can be reasonable with your expectations... or you can shoot for the moon!

I'll start out with one idea that I heard a long time ago but I still think could be interesting... How about Hugh Laurie for Puddleglum?

Jill has to be pretty, and though looking, sort of like Chloe Moretz, but she's getting too old now for that role.

Last edited:
How old do you think they'll make Jill and Eustace? Closer to eleven or fifteen?

Since the BBC version cast a former Doctor Who, Tom Baker, as Puddleglum, maybe they can do the same this time. Maybe even Peter Capaldi.

MrBob

Jill and Scrubb should pass as tween in age. They need to be seen as too young for the 1940's to overly interested in the opposite sex. But remember Judy Garland was 16 when she did Dorothy of The Wizard of Oz and was able to pull off as a tween. So the actors can be around 16 as long as they are not too tall.

I never imagined Judy Garland was a tween. I saw Dorothy as about Judy's age. If they want Jill and Eustace to be a tween, they need to hire a tween. If they want them to be teens, they should hire teens. Sorry, getting young actors who are the wrong age for their characters is a pet peeve of mine.

MrBob

Let's not forget that Will Poulter was 16 when he did VDT and played Scrubb, a character in the book that was no more than 10. And from most fan reviews Will Poulter was an excellent Eustace. Will was even 2 years older than Georgie Henley, who played a character that was older than Scrubb. David Thwaites of the BBC version was 13 when he did the role if Scrubb in VDT.

I never imagined Judy Garland was a tween. I saw Dorothy as about Judy's age. If they want Jill and Eustace to be a tween, they need to hire a tween. If they want them to be teens, they should hire teens. Sorry, getting young actors who are the wrong age for their characters is a pet peeve of mine.

MrBob

I agree with this, if they want young characters they need to cast young actors! I was so annoyed with how old the characters in the Hunger Games movies looked - they were supposed to be I think 14-15 but clearly looked 17-18/early twenties, because that is who was cast.

This isn't really the place for that rant though, so I'll stop :rolleyes:

I think unknown actors would be fine, honestly don't really know many young/tween actors to begin with. I have a very specific image of Puddleglum though, and I really want him to look a certain way. Really not sure who has that look though!

Not sure which Hunger Games characters you're referring to, but in the books Katniss and Peeta are 16 when they are originally Reaped, and Gale is 18. Prim and Rue are both 12.

I agree, they have to get Puddleglum right, and he's a pretty challenging character. But at least they can get an adult to voice him.

Well, it seems as though Millie Bobbie Brown is up for the role of Jill Pole. She is 13 right now, but will likely be 14 by the time filming takes place (her b-day is Feb 19). This means they likely want the main characters to be young teens.

As for Glenburne's last comment, will they do a full CG Puddleglum or more of a man in make-up?

MrBob

She looks a lot like I had imagined Jill.

In regard to Puddleglum, interesting question. The tricky thing with him is that his arms and legs are supposed to be so long, and his body is supposed to be so small. But at the same time, he's about the same height as a normal adult man. I think they would have to do CG to make him look right.

I would like someone younger to play Jill, I hate seeing adults being pasted off as teenagers. She also looks the part and is a wonderful actress, and she would play the role well. However, she is a big name, and usually these roles go to unknown actors. But Bobbie could bring a wider audience to the movie. It's a long list of pros and cons, but I have faith that they will pick the right girl.

Millie Brown is born of British parents. She was born in Spain and moved to Dprset England when she was four before moving to Florida when she was eight. She speaks with a British accent. Look up videos of her to hear her speak.

Also, Princess, I think a voice coach could help any American actor to sound like they come from any part of England, not just the Cockney or proper English. However, we have had a fake accent already in the series with Ben Barnes using the Inigo Montoya accent in Prince Caspian.

I agree Glenburne, no more Jadis! No more Tilda!

MrBob

My personal fancast is Katie Mcgrath for the Lady of the Green kirtle. Later a saw a fancast edit on tumblr with Toby Regbo as Rillian and it stuck.

(Even though I know they'll said they'll have an all new cast, I still wish we could have some sort of call back to the old ones with Samuel West from the BBC VDT play old Caspian.)

I'm also totally on board with having Capaldi as Puddleglum.
Maybe they could even have Tom Baker as Glimfeather.

Back