Pan's Labyrinth

Protagonist

Banned
Have you seen it?

It's like an fable made for adults. It involves a girl stuck with her mother in Spain's civil war, and she meets a faun and some fairy's in a maze.... The story's kind of all over the place. In my opinion, It's good, but not great... The faun looks SO MUCH better then Mr Tumnus.

It's rated R, so you know... It's got some graphic violence.

Last edited:
Say, does anybody in this forum has watched this movie? For fantasy, it's one of the best, and with the style of Guillermo del Toro, how could it more excellent? Save, if it wasn't him, I bet Tim Burton will do a good job.

These insect-like fairies, I love them so much, their transformation, their moves. To me, that's how a real fairy should look like.

What about the faun? (but should be a satyr) a good character, and not any lame and downer as those of other movies (Gollum is not amongst them... and good for him he said all those things to Dobby, he deservs that and more)

And what about the monster that watched over the food? One of the most hideous, grim indeed. I love it. It's really scary. The very fact that he grabs his eyes with his hands and use them as a mask (and when it eats with tasty gore those fairies):eek: :D

Because, even for a fantasy film, the violence is quite realistic, and a good one. I don't know if there was once an intention for psychological horror and violence, but WOW!! That made the film only better, and more attractive to youngster and adults.

Why, haven't you read real fairy stories and tales? Don't you remember the illustrations and paintings? If it had to be realistic, when they depicted violence and monsters or grievous moments, they showed the feeling. I love especially the ones of Gustave Doré.

Come on, despite the violence, the movie is a must-have, and a must-see for every fantasy lover. (Or are you too weak and scared of the monsters, or even by the fairie munching sequence of the monster... C'mon, if you read the original version of Little Red Riding Hood, she and her grandma were really devoured . But, the best part, was in another version, when it comes the hunter and then, comes the open-belly part, like so many wolves have suffered) But you don't know the Beast of Gévaudan.

Beyond Reality said:
It just seems very dark to me..it's hard to explain..
I can only assume you don't like graphic violence. It's not like you walk down the street everyday and see a R rated fantasy film playing.

Pan is among my favorite movies of all time. It definitely tops my list of foreign language movies that I have seen!

Just a correction thought, Protagonist, it takes place during Spain's civil war, not the concurrent WWII.

But I agree with others that this is a very dark movie. It deserves its 'R' rating with all of the violence including all of the killing such as a stabbing in the face, the war of the rebellion, shooting a man in the back, and definitely the next-to-last killing. There was also torture and euthanasia of the torture victim.

I would highly recommend it for anyone over 18 who is fine with the violence.

The grossest scene for me was the large frog.

MrBob

Someone who at last didn't banned R rated films

AT LAST!! Someone who didn't cry out and hid under his bed...

Thanks for saying that Mrbob. It's just this movie it's another style on how fantasy movies should be made, aside from the ones of Disney or other studios... and not mention some really crap!!

Anyway, one of my favourite scenes was the monster who watched over the food, pursued Mercedes... but not before tasting in a gorgeous gore-y-ous manner the insect fairies.

And I'm 16, but I've endured through some things that made to me mature more, so to speak, in my mind. Also, my brother Delta likes the movie pretty much... aside from the violence.

And something else, does anybody here have never read a real fairy tale...? Those tales had creepy moments, not to mention their illustrations, endings (even a villain suffers as much as the good guys did) and... well, you might know the rest.

Way to go for Guillermo del Toro for his movie!! And not that I wish really that there comes a new style of gore-fantasy, but, at least, show them more properly to teenagers and adults. Even, they should have some of psychological horror... in that way, the graphic violence would do well to fill the blank spaces, to make more frightening some moments... and to attract those who like that kind of movies.

Back