How He Wrote It

Maybe it was similar to when you first read the Narnia series (before any of the movies existed including the animated version of TLWW). You had pictured what C.S. Lewis wrote in your mind and the characters became alive in your mind. Maybe as C.S. Lewis wrote them he was seeing them become alive in his mind as well. He had pictured Lucy and Mr. Tumnus a certain way probably before they became part of the story. I hope this was what you were getting at.

Lewis intended the first book to be the only Narnia book. It would seem as though the story after that did come more alive. In each book after LWW, he addressed something that happened in a previous book .So I wonder if there were certain scenes from previous books that stood out in Lewis' mind as he was writing each successive book.

MrBob

This may be a dumb question but I'm not entirely certain about the history of the original release of the Narnia books. I wanted to know if C.S. Lewis was able to see how people enjoyed the books (or if they didn't) before he died?

To your question, Lucy, I would say yes.

When Lewis was alive his Narnia series generated a lot of fan mail, which he conscientiously answered one by one. Some of this voluminous correspondence has been collected in a book called Letters to Children by C.S. Lewis but compiled and edited by Lyle Dorsett.

I don't really know my way around the topics on this forum these days, having not posted in over a year. However I felt this was an appropriate thread to make an announcement that some of my old friends/fans might appreciate hearing.

I, like C.S. Lewis, have united with the Anglican Church. This move has been a long time in coming, but tis done.

In the years to come, it has moved my heart to consider becoming an ordained diaconal minister. There is much prayer ahead on this one, and I will probably pursue it after I fully retire in a few years.

Ye Mage Scribe,
EVENINGSTAR

[Dear Badger!
What great news --
I'm So happy to hear how God is continuing to guide you!!]

[So good to see you too, Pardine!!!]

Okay back on topic--

I finally got a copy of Lewis' Letters to Children, and one of his letters related to Voyage of the Dawn Treader has him giving hints as to Aslan's identity in our world:

...As to Aslan's other name, well I want you to guess. Has there never been anyone in this world who (1.) Arrived at the same time as Father Christmas. (2.) Said he was the son of the Great Emperor. (3.) Gave himself up for someone else's fault to be jeered at and killed by wicked people. (4.) Came to life again. (5.) Is sometimes spoken of as a Lamb (see the end of the Dawn Treader). Don't you really know His name in this world. Think it over and let me know your answer!

C.S. Lewis: Letters to Children. Lyle W. Dorsett and Marjorie Lamp Mead, editors. New York: Touchstone, 1985:32.

Back