Narnia: Total War

Jubal

This is a thread about the modification addon pack I'm building for the popular game Rome: Total War.

Essentially, the mod converts the entire game into a Narnian setting, with new factions, a new map, and new unit types. It is still in production, though a beta version will hopefully be released not too far into the future. The point at which the game starts is in Prince Caspian, with the Narnian rebels owning central Narnia and the Telmarines in the North and on the coast. You WILL need the original Rome: Total War 1.5 game to play the mod, but it will be a wholly free add-on and won't interfere with the original game in any way.

I have added a few extra factions; independent Dwarfs a la those in TLB form a new faction, the old Telmarine homeland is included, and four wholly new nations - the Kingdom of Koraly, Munesh, the Erinese Confederation, and the Tribes of Surval - have been added as a counterweight to the vast size of the Calormene Empire. The factions all represent quite strong philosophical archetypes, mirroring the allegory in the books to some extent. The Dwarfs are atheists with a republican bent, the Narnians religiously inspired Monarchists, the Kingdom of Harfang cruel giant overlords, the Lone Islanders (still under the Governors, of course) anarchic capitalists, and so on. The campaign will eventually have two modes; a canonical one where the player attempts to capture the lands of the books, and a more freeplay, aggressive game mode.

The official development forum is found here:
http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=46.0

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread; I'm hoping to have the full campaign beta release out by mid-February at present (would be sooner, but exams are going to be in the way).

If you do that I might buy Total Way and download your mod. Sound really interesting. I have a problem with one of the factions though. Everyone knows that there is no anarchy in capitalism. It's a very orderly system of supply and demand. Most of the anarchists are on the other side of the political spectrum, if I'am not mistaken.

In terms of definitions: anarchy refers to the lack of a system of government. Capitalism refers to the control of the means of production in a society by private individuals who hold wealth (capital) that then gets invested.

An extreme libertarian society could therefore be anarcho-capitalist. If corporations or merchant companies effectively run all possible services and little to no central administration exists, a capitalist system in an anarchist or extremely small-government society is quite possible. In The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, this is to some extent the case. The Lone Islands have a governor, who has no government giving him orders to carry out, and so laws (against slavery, most notably, but I'm sure that those markets could well have been open to anything else as well) are extremely relaxed and society is controlled largely by who has the most buying power. Even if the capitalistic supply lines function effectively, overall due to the lack of independent law and order the society has very strong anarchist tendencies.

Does that make sense?

I don't know if I buy that. Although your proposed system could certainly be possible, it's unlikely. Capitalism is in itself a very ordered system, so even without a system of government, it would not be so anarchic. But it doesn't matter. Let me know when your mod is ready. I'll get ready to buy Total War in the next two weeks. I've been wanted to play one of those games anyway since my son here play Civilization and other games like that. In fact, I think he already owns TW so I might already have it.

Skyrim

I was also thinking. Do you play Skyrim? if you do, do you think you could make a Narnia Mod of it? I am going to buy the game just because someone made a Zelda mod for it. I wanted to use the Master Sword and the Hylian shield and play with that. If there was a Narnia mod with Rhindon and Peter's shield I would def play it!

I don't play Skyrim, I'm afraid.

Just as an additional clarification, here's the Wikipedia article on the political theory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism
I'm no proponent of it myself - and indeed it may well not work in real life - but that's part of the fun of the fair, allegory works in all directions.

First weekend of February *should* be release time, I've got exams the next 2 weeks though so I probably won't be on much in the next bit!

Would this mod work on the other total war games? (the ones after rome)

sounds like it would be good..how you going with it?

Here we are, took longer than expected due to more work and several successive minor illnesses on my part (which still aren't going away), but we got there!

http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1970
^ Download links are here.

The mod only works for Rome, other games in the series need different code, file formats, and so on to work with the different game engines.

Hope anyone who takes a look enjoys it!

In terms of definitions: anarchy refers to the lack of a system of government. Capitalism refers to the control of the means of production in a society by private individuals who hold wealth (capital) that then gets invested.

An extreme libertarian society could therefore be anarcho-capitalist. If corporations or merchant companies effectively run all possible services and little to no central administration exists, a capitalist system in an anarchist or extremely small-government society is quite possible. In The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, this is to some extent the case. The Lone Islands have a governor, who has no government giving him orders to carry out, and so laws (against slavery, most notably, but I'm sure that those markets could well have been open to anything else as well) are extremely relaxed and society is controlled largely by who has the most buying power. Does that make sense?

Providing the governor gets his cut! I am not convinced that this society is anarchistic however. There clearly is a government, with the governor at the top, and he does pay 'lip service' to the King of Narnia. The fact that it is in fact a corrupt government and not only turns a blind eye, but actively encourages evil practices, such as slavery, does not in my opinion alter the fact.

i have rome and will give this a shot.

As i do game development i will be looking at the models/animation closely:)

great work!

Back