Mark Gordon Company's The Silver Chair

Just to say Jadis was not in every book in person but was mentioned in them all as the only evil in Narnia. Tilda could play the Green Lady as the Green Lady and Jadis have the same traits, height. looks and evil plans to rule Narnia.

Jadis was not mentioned as the only evil in Narnia, just a powerful version of evil. In SC, jadis is stated to be just a normal evil witch, referred to as "those Normal Witches" (p 240).

MrBob

Jadis was not mentioned as the only evil in Narnia, just a powerful version of evil. In SC, jadis is stated to be just a normal evil witch, referred to as "those Normal Witches" (p 240).

MrBob

My book only goes up to 191 and on page 179 it says " that those Northern Witches always mean the same thing, but in every age they have a different plan for getting it." The Dwarf thinks that just because Jadis came from the north as she could not enter Narnia for the tree, that there are other witches there, the Green Lady did not come from the north she came from the underworld and lived there.

Yes she played a centaur but was only in shot for a few seconds, she said as a joke every one has CGI bodys so the producer gave her one and her young son was one as well he was the one who found the sword to heavy hold up and had to be helped by the male centaur beside him. Just look out for her blonde hair.

Yes she played a centaur but was only in shot for a few seconds, she said as a joke every one has CGI bodys so the producer gave her one and her young son was one as well he was the one who found the sword to heavy hold up and had to be helped by the male centaur beside him. Just look out for her blonde hair.

That's interesting. I'll have to look out for her in PC. :D

"the Green Lady did not come from the north she came from the underworld and lived there."

She was from the north. She knew of the inscription in Ettinsmoor. It's hard to live in the underworld and not know about that. I see her moving underground at some point after she decided to hatch the plan to kidnap Rillian.

As for Tilda Swinton as a centaur, I heard about it, but it really doesn't look like her. I didn't realize her son was the boy centaur.

MrBob

"the Green Lady did not come from the north she came from the underworld and lived there."

She was from the north. She knew of the inscription in Ettinsmoor. It's hard to live in the underworld and not know about that. I see her moving underground at some point after she decided to hatch the plan to kidnap Rillian.

As for Tilda Swinton as a centaur, I heard about it, but it really doesn't look like her. I didn't realize her son was the boy centaur.

MrBob

Off course she knew the inscription when it was first carved, she was there. Just like Jadis knew of the laws first put into Narnia as she was there, just like she knew of the inscription on the stone table, the fire stones and the inscription on Aslans fathers staff. Jadis was there and not the Green Lady.

Off course she knew the inscription when it was first carved, she was there. Just like Jadis knew of the laws first put into Narnia as she was there, just like she knew of the inscription on the stone table, the fire stones and the inscription on Aslans fathers staff. Jadis was there and not the Green Lady.

I'm pretty sure Jadis didn't know everything though. Aslan's Resurrection was unseen to her. She thought she was victorious. By the way Jadis, I noticed your from Belfast, Ireland. My grandfather's mother's side is from Dundalk, Ireland. Bout an hour south of you.:)

"Off course she knew the inscription when it was first carved, she was there."

How was she there? You said she wasn't from the north, but instead came from the underworld. If that's the case, she wouldn't have been there to see the inscription.

"I'm pretty sure Jadis didn't know everything though. Aslan's Resurrection was unseen to her."

I don't think out Jadis was saying that fictional Jadis knew everything, NarniaWarrior. She knew of the Deep magic, but not the Deeper Magic. Jadis was there for the Deep Magic when it was written into the Narnian world. She wasn't there for the Deeper Magic, which predated her.

Mrbob

"Off course she knew the inscription when it was first carved, she was there."

How was she there? You said she wasn't from the north, but instead came from the underworld. If that's the case, she wouldn't have been there to see the inscription.

"I'm pretty sure Jadis didn't know everything though. Aslan's Resurrection was unseen to her."

I don't think out Jadis was saying that fictional Jadis knew everything, NarniaWarrior. She knew of the Deep magic, but not the Deeper Magic. Jadis was there for the Deep Magic when it was written into the Narnian world. She wasn't there for the Deeper Magic, which predated her.

Mrbob

Jadis was there at the start of Narnias creation, she knew of all its history after all she was in it for a thousand years which is why she knew of the laws and the deep magic ect, she did not know of the deeper magic as she was not around before the dawn of time but after it only Aslan and his father would know that. Aslan said if she had have looked deeper she would have seen it but she didn't all that was on her mind was killing him on the stone table and taking Narnia for ever. Jadis and the Green Lady have much in common, if the Green Lady is a different witch then she could not know the things Jadis knew as she was not around. Jadis would have a more stronger case of getting Narnia back more so than the Green Lady, it was Caspian who killed her Hag and Wer-wolf before they could bring her back. The Green Lady killed Caspians wife and kidnapped his son for 10 years and then was going to get him to fight his own father and take Narnia and when that was done the Green Lady would have killed him and regained Narnia for herself, it has Jadis written all over it. Puddleglum even said that she must be a long liver to know such things, well the only long liver in Narnia was Jadis as she ate the apple. Jadis on Charn killed all her race and sister she was the only one left, powerful as she was she could not travel to other worlds and needed someone else to bring her there ie Digory, so if the Green Lady is of the same crew how did she surive on Charn after it was destoryed by Jadis? and how did she get to Narnia as Jadis was brought there by Digory. If you read the Magician's Nephew, LWW and The Silver Chair one after the other you will see the two witches are too simular to be two different people. To me they are one and the same.

Aslan's ressurrection, or indeed any possibility that this might happen never occurred to Jadis. Although she knew the Deep Magic from the Dawn of Time, which she thought to manipulate to her advantage, she was totally unaware that there was a Deeper Magic from before the Dawn of Time, because she only arrived in Narnia, courtesy of Digory Kirke, at the Dawn of Time. Had she been able to look a little further back, she would have read a different incantation, that when an innocent being, who had committed no treason, was offered up in the place of a traitor, the Stone Table itself would be destroyed and death itself would be reversed. This lack of knowledge, combined with her own pride and arrogance, would ultimately cost Jadis her life.

Aslan's ressurrection, or indeed any possibility that this might happen never occurred to Jadis. Although she knew the Deep Magic from the Dawn of Time, which she thought to manipulate to her advantage, she was totally unaware that there was a Deeper Magic from before the Dawn of Time, because she only arrived in Narnia, courtesy of Digory Kirke, at the Dawn of Time. Had she been able to look a little further back, she would have read a different incantation, that when an innocent being, who had committed no treason, was offered up in the place of a traitor, the Stone Table itself would be destroyed and death itself would be reversed. This lack of knowledge, combined with her own pride and arrogance, would ultimately cost Jadis her life.

Aslan himself was not sure of the Deeper Magic and did not know if as a innocent being ect that he would come back as it was never done before. Aslan the night before the battle told Peter what to do and how he should deploy his army, Peter asked him will he not be there and Aslan said I can make no promise of that, so he was not sure that he would come back.

Aslan himself was not sure of the Deeper Magic and did not know if as a innocent being ect that he would come back as it was never done before. Aslan the night before the battle told Peter what to do and how he should deploy his army, Peter asked him will he not be there and Aslan said I can make no promise of that, so he was not sure that he would come back.

But Aslan was sure of his resurrection because he told the girls:
'...she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.'

He knew that Death would work backwards- there is no 'even' in the text as was in the film.
Notice his use of start- meaning perhaps that he didn't know how long it would take. Therefore he could give no promise to Peter because he wasn't at the battle for the majority of it.

But Aslan was sure of his resurrection because he told the girls:
'...she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.'

He knew that Death would work backwards- there is no 'even' in the text as was in the film.
Notice his use of start- meaning perhaps that he didn't know how long it would take. Therefore he could give no promise to Peter because he wasn't at the battle for the majority of it.

Sorry you are wrong for in the book Aslan jumped for joy and played leap frog ect with Lucy and Susan it was the reaction of surprise on his resurrection, yes he did say all that death would work backwards ect only after he came back and not before. In the book Susan asked him could he not do something against the deep magic to save Edmund, he said work against the deep magic? what he was saying he could not work against his father for it was he who put the laws in Narnia not Aslan. If you want to compeare Aslan with Jesus even Jesus on the cross said Father why have you forsaken me.

"This thread is for the discussion of this new production including your ideas for the cast, the plot, your hopes and fears for the film."

Please try to stay on topic. I know you're trying to debate the Characters IN the book, but this thread is for discussion of ideas and characters IN the film. It started well but I fear the discussion is just going to go in a direction that may be best suited for other threads. We want people to discuss the movie here. The closer it gets to production, the more people would want to talk about it (the movie), but they might be discouraged if the see arguments not closely related to it.

Jadis, white or green witch, or both. How will this play out in the movie? Do you think the movie will be successful if the same actress comes back to play Jadis as (now) green witch? A new actor better? What about no mention of Jadis at all?

Another question is if they will choose "little people" as the Bimsites or use regular sized actors and do computer trickery ala LotR with the dwarves, hobbits, and elves.

Also, who can play Rillian and more importantly, do we get Inigo Montoya Caspian or normal British Caspian?

MrBob

"This thread is for the discussion of this new production including your ideas for the cast, the plot, your hopes and fears for the film."

Please try to stay on topic. I know you're trying to debate the Characters IN the book, but this thread is for discussion of ideas and characters IN the film. It started well but I fear the discussion is just going to go in a direction that may be best suited for other threads. We want people to discuss the movie here. The closer it gets to production, the more people would want to talk about it (the movie), but they might be discouraged if the see arguments not closely related to it.

Jadis, white or green witch, or both. How will this play out in the movie? Do you think the movie will be successful if the same actress comes back to play Jadis as (now) green witch? A new actor better? What about no mention of Jadis at all?

Ok. fair enough to answer your question all the actors who where in the last film could play the same roles in the new one. Ben could still play Caspian just make him older and the same actor could play Trumpkin also make him older. Warrick could play Glimfeather and if they make him cgi then use his voice. Eustace also could be played by the same actor granted he will be a bit taller but he still looks the same. David Tennant would make a good Pudleglum and Brian Blessed would make a good Giant King. Tilda should play the Green Lady as the Green Lady is just the same as the White Witch in mannerism and looks, the fact they had her in the green mist was to lead her into the role of the Green Lady. I think it would be daft to get anyone else to play her and I think Douglas Gresham would want her to play her but we will have to wait and see.

Back