Mark Gordon Company's The Silver Chair

I haven't posted in ages, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm really looking forward to The Silver Chair. :D I have my misgivings, but I can't help being excited that they are going to continue the series.
It's good to see you back, Miss D. And we are all excited and hoping for the best!

*We have no idea who the cast and crew are.
*We can't say for sure if the film will even be released in the 21st Century.
*The production company behind it is responsible for a collection of cold, grahpic, desensitizing forensic television dramas.

Eternal pessimism reigns ;)

Let's hope none of this is true!

The production company behind it is responsible for a collection of cold, grahpic, desensitizing forensic television dramas.

Peter Jackson's filmography was mostly ultra-violent, low-budget horror-comedies before he made The Lord of the Rings trilogy... And he was the WRITER/DIRECTOR, not just a producer. In other words, he had FAR more creative input into the project then Mark Gordon is likely to.

Personally, I think the fact that this DOES seem to be a highly unorthodox choice for moving the series forward should have us excited, NOT worried. The fact that the Mark Gordon Company wants to make a family-friendly fantasy film when his track record is anything but makes me think that he must be a sincere fan of the books. Walden Media, on the other hand, seemed like an obvious choice. Making family-friendly fantasy films is their MO. And you know what? In the end it's come off looking like they picked up the rights to make Narnia films not because of a love for the series, but because it was a popular children's fantasy series that they could turn into their Harry Potter. They weren't bona-fide fans, they were opportunists. Mark Gordon could be the best thing to happen to these films yet!

Last edited:
I agree with David, this could turn out really well!

And Timba, how nice to see you again. Hope all is well.

Personally, I think the fact that this DOES seem to be a highly unorthodox choice for moving the series forward should have us excited, NOT worried. The fact that the Mark Gordon Company wants to make a family-friendly fantasy film when his track record is anything but makes me think that he must be a sincere fan of the books.

Well said David! Also an excellent group of points. I think it would be fantastic if Walden Media were somehow able to make this series like the Potter ones. This fan base, I think, is very similar to the HP ones. In the sense that it shows great morals and character development as well as an every changing world. Though the biggest difference IMHO is that this series serves a larger audience/is more generationally friendly, even though it too is aimed at children.

So I haven't posted in a while (been busy,but wellcome back everyone! :)) but I just thought that I show pop in now that a new narnia film is on the cards. :D

I have not seen much of the directors work but hopefully it should be a bit more darker (as this is a dark book) then the previous films which will make it interesting. I hope they dont stuff up the marshman (I seem to have a memory blank and forgot his name,its late here anyway..:p) and he gets are good proper treatment. Also it will be very interesting to see how the white which is done in this one? will the tilda return or will a new actress take over?

So many questions..and so long till they are answered!

They must not just go back to Tilda again!! Plenty of other actresses to choose from!

Hopefully someone who resembles her a bit though! I was under the impression that the witch/sorceress in this book was more or less a reincarnation of Jadis. That's the way I read it anyhow, could be very wrong.

Of course, as far as reincarnations go they could just have the spirit of the person and no looks what so ever..

I bet they do bring her back -- the BBC mini-series I understand had the same actress portraying both witches. However, I don't think the green Lady is Jadis at all, so I wish they would go a new direction and get a different actress.

I bet they do bring her back -- the BBC mini-series I understand had the same actress portraying both witches. However, I don't think the green Lady is Jadis at all, so I wish they would go a new direction and get a different actress.

Seeing how the GREEN mist in VotDT was in the form of Jadis, it would make sense for the GREEN Lady to be Jadis as well.

Seeing how the GREEN mist in VotDT was in the form of Jadis, it would make sense for the GREEN Lady to be Jadis as well.
Yup -- that's what I am thinking, too. But it's too bad. Rilian is supposed to be half in love with his beautiful queen ... Tilda is getting too old, plus I don't think CSL intended for the Green Lady to be Jadis. :(

Hopefully someone who resembles her a bit though! I was under the impression that the witch/sorceress in this book was more or less a reincarnation of Jadis. That's the way I read it anyhow, could be very wrong.

Of course, as far as reincarnations go they could just have the spirit of the person and no looks what so ever..

This is part of the problem of adapting the story,
There is a body of book fans who think that she was and another group who dismiss the whole idea, the books themselves are a bit ambiguous.

If they follow the Walden continuity then the new writing team also have to consider how Dawn Treader ended with some connection between Jadis and the Green Witch implied in the coming together of the Green Mist, the serpent and Jadis.

Here`s hoping we get some really good screenwriters this time!

Last edited:
...the books themselves are a bit ambiguous.

If they follow the Walden continuity then the new writing team also have to consider how Dawn Treader ended with some connection between Jadis and the Green Witch implied in the coming together of the Green Mist, the serpent and Jadis.

Here`s hoping we get some really good screenwriters this time!

Though this could possibly be mindless conjecture; I wonder if they were ambiguous, because of/if C.S. Lewis didn't write them in the order they were published, and so was unsure himself whether the White Witch and Green Witch were the same or different people. White turned Green with envy anyone? :D

That is a good point/outlook I hadn't considered while reading or even gotten myself through the films. That suggestion would be even more plausible considering that although Aslan killed Jadis in LWW, her spirit would then have been left wandering Narnia but unattached.

Yes, indeed! Good screenwriters are a must, they might be able to turn the franchise around even, if it doesn't flop. And though it's been previously stated countless times, I think if they stick to the book/represent the book properly this won't be a problem. But who knows, we can do nothing but be hopeful at this point.

Just because they wanted to go withy the Green Witch being an incarnation of the White Witch, that doesn't mean they can't get another actress for her. Reincarnation can mean getting a different body.

As for the BBC miniseries, they were on a limited budget. Barbara Kellerman played both witches. But then again, Warwick Davis played both Reep and Glimfeather.

MrBob

Cast

Personally, most people clamor together for same actors/actresses so dont be surprised if you see Tilda Swinton back along with Will Poulter as Eustace.

Let Tilda Swinton play one of the evil giants in SC.
She`d probably do it as well if they asked her, I could see her doing a good job in playing either the nurse or the queen given the chance.
I wonder how many people spotted her in `Prince Caspian` as a Centaur as well as playing the witch again!

Last edited:
Back