View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 12:13 PM

SunshineRose has a spectacular aura aboutSunshineRose has a spectacular aura about

Such a misuse of the English language to try to manipulate people so that they can get away with their sins unpunished, and get a chance to commit them again. People who are sincerely repentant accept responsibility for their actions and genuinely seek to atone for them, whereas people who see themselves as victims for being caught breaking the law or hurting others, bleat about mistakes.

What a load of nonsense. There is a difference between an accident, a mistake, and a crime or a sin.

An accident is something that we don't intend to do at all. For instance, before an interview, I could accidentally spill coffee on my skirt. That would be an accident since I had zero intention of doing that.

A mistake is when we intend to do something because we believe it is right. So, I could arrive for an interview that I think is at two o'clock in the afternoon at around that time only to discover that it was supposed to take place at one o'clock That would be a mistake, because I intended to show up at two o'clock, but I did so because I genuinely thought it was right, and I had the intention of being on time, even though I was an hour late.

However, if I show up to my interview with a lot of forged letters of recommendation and I get caught doing that, that is not an accident or a mistake. That is a sin and a crime, because I would be delibrately engaging in deceitful behavior, which I know is wrong and that I don't actually believe is right.

All this mislabeling of crimes and sins as mistakes just makes us less sympathetic to people who make honest mistakes or who are sincerely repentant. That's why it must stop.

-C.S. Lewis