The Hunger Games movie written by me

I am writing the HUnger Games movie out as a writing project. I know I had already strted this thread, but it was accidentally merged to somewhere else. So I now have to start a new thread. Thanks for everyone's understanding!

I decided to edit out the few brief swear words from the movie. I am replacing them with milder forms. And, "OMG" is considered a swear phrase to me.

Last edited:
The Hunger Games movie adaption
by Achlee​

Prologue
From the Treaty of the Treason:
In penance for their uprising,
each district shall offer up
a male and female between the ages of
12 and 18 at a public "Reaping."
These tributes shall be delivered
to the custody of the Capitol.
And then transferred to a public arena
where they will Fight to the Death,
until a lone victor remains.
Henceforth and forevermore
this pageant shall be known as
The Hunger Games.
A man with blue hair that matched his suit sat on a stage with another man. He had a clean shaven face and held a packet of paper in his lap while he sat in a white dish chair facing another man.
The man he was with had a very intriguing design cut into his facial hair which was a slicked black color that matched the hair on his head. He was wearing a black suit with a red collared shirt underneath. The first man, named Caesar Flickerman, was interviewing the second.
"I think it's our tradition," The second man said. "It's comes out of a particularly painful part of our history."
Caesar nodded his head in aggreement and glanced toward the audience before looking back to his guest, Seneca Crane.
"But, it's been the way we've been able to heal." Seneca continued. "At first, it was a reminder of the rebellion. A price the districts had to pay. But I think it has grown from that." He looked out at the crowd. "I think it's, uh, it's something that knits us all together." As he spoke he interlaced his fingers and held them toward the audience who responded with applause.
Caesar looked out at the crowd while formulating his next question. "This is your third year as Gamemaker," he said, turning attention back to Seneca, "What defines your personal signature?"...

Chapter One​

Deep in the heart of a territory known simply as District 12, a young girl was woken from her sleep by terrifying nightmares. "Nooooooooo!" she screamed.
"Shhh, shhh." Her older sister was there beside her, holding her tight. "It's okay, it's okay. They're just dreams." She rocked her little sister gently as she stroked her dark blond hair. "They're dreams."
"It was me." The little girl sobbed into her sister's chest. She had her eyes closed, trying to shut out the awful visions that had been tormenting her recently.
"No. No it's not." The older sister tried to assure her. "Trust me. It's your first year, Prim, your name's only been in there once. They're not gonna pick you." She said this out loud so it would have just as much affect on herself as well as her little sister. "Shhh, just go to sleep."
Prim hugged her big sister tighter. "I can't ." She continued to breathe heavily and the tears of fear escaped slowly down her face.
"Just try." Her sister whispered softly. "Just try."
Prim slowly peeled herself away from the warmth of her sister's body and leaned her head up to whisper a request in her ear. Her sister looked into Prim's frightened little face and nodded her head with a soft smile. As Prim lay back down, the older girl began to stroke her hair gently. Then she started to sing a sweet melody.
"Deep in the meadow, under the willow, " At this point, Prim smiled and began to sing with her sister. "A bed of grass, a soft green pillow." Her sister stopped singing and gently smiled. "You remember that song? Good, you finish." She leaned down to kiss Prim's forehead. "I gotta go somewhere."
Prim looked up curiously. "Where?"
"I just gotta go. But don't worry. I'll be back." That was the only reply her sister would give. She walked down the stairs in their small, semi - rundown house and removed her leather jacket from a hook in the kitchen. While she put it on, a black cat with green eyes and a white stripe across it's nose and lip hissed at her. "Meeoooowww!" the cat complained.
The girl, obviously annoyed, glared at the cat. "I'll still cook you." She threatened as she went out the back door.
As she jogged through her small village, the girl took inher surroundings for the millionth time. People whose cheeks were hollow stared out broken windows. Children played quietly in the mud with sticks, and dusty coal miners walked the path through the middle of the village with tin pails swinging by their sides. They all looked exhausted. But, that's how things were in District 12. This was the mining district, and people never had very much out here.
The girl continued jogging out of the village and across the top of what used to be a large, concrete dam. It didn't serve very much purpose anymore. She came to a wore fence with a big red and white sign on it that read: 'DISTRICT BOUNDARY: NO ACCES BEYOND THIS POINT'. There was another sign that had a lightning bolt on it and read: 'HIGH VOLTAGE'. It was supposed to be an electric fence, but it was almost never turned on. Slipping through the fence, the girl crossed a meadow and entered the woods.
She carefully made her way to a fallen tree that the animals had hollowed out. Here was the place she kept her homemade bow. A tree just a few paces away stored her quiver of arrows. If she had kept them at home, they would be confiscated and she would be arrested for sure. Here was safe because nobody ever bothered with the woods. They were off limits, after all.
Stringing her bow with an arrow, she carefully made her way across a fallen tree that made a perfect bridge across a creek. Kepping the bow pointed toward the ground, she quiety stopped and listened for anything. The slightest movement through the trees caught her well trained hunter's eye. A deer, and it was just right there! She hadn't seen a deer in forever, and this one wouldd certainly feed her family for a while. Or it would bring a good price in the hob, District 12's black market.
Slowly, the hunter raised her bow and aimed at the deer. It was still a fair distance away, but she was confident she could hit it. A slight breeze picked up and the deer suddenly caught the girl's scent. It darted away with incredible agility. The girl lowered her bow, silently fuming for waiting so long. She then crumpled a handful of leaves between her fingers to see which way the wind blew them, and took off quietly after the deer.
It took a while, and she finally thought she had lost it. So she picked up a small rock and used her bow as a slingshot, bouncing the stone off of a nearby tree. This frightened the deer out and the girl once again had a target.
She carefully aimed at the now unsuspecting creature. Breathing deep then letting it out. Almost ready.
"What were you gonna do with that after you killed it?!" A voice from somewhere behind her called.
Startled, the girl spun around for half a second before realizing that the unwelcome visitor would scare away her prey. She turned back quickly, saw the deer beginning to retreat, and loosed her arrow. It missed. The deer got away unscathed.
Furious at the carelessness of her newest arrival, the girl spun on her heel and yelled, "Dang you, Gale!"
A tall boy with dark hair and a boyish grin, came down the small embankment from where he had been watching. He was thin but muscly, wearing dark trousers with a blue long sleeved shirt, except the sleeves were pushed up to his elbows. On top of the shirt was a dark vest with a pocket. he was attractive and looked pleased.
"It's not funny!" The girl ranted. She was angry at him.
"What were you gonna do with a hundred pound deer, Catnip?" Gale asked. Catnip was his nickname for the girl. The first time they had met, she mumbled her name, Katniss, so Gale thought she had said her name was Catnip. Now, he never let it go. "It's reaping day! The place is gonna be crawling with Peacekeepers."
"I was gonna sell it!" She said as he reached over her shoulder and removed her arrows. "To the Peacekeepers." Katniss jerked her arrows back away from Gale. Why did he have to be so annoying sometimes?
"Oh, of course you were." Gale said sarcastically.
Katniss rolled her eyes at him. "Like you don't sell to Peacekeepers." She retorted as she put her arrows back in their sheath.
"No!" Gale grinned. "Not today!"
Katniss had to aggree with him in her mind. It would be suicide to try and sell on a day when extra Peacekeepers were going to be in the district. It still didn't make her feel any better about losing the kill. "That's the first deer I've seen in a year. Now I have nothing." She sulked as she restrung her bow.
"Yeah?" Gale took a few steps away, then picked up a small stone. He launched it into the trees, frightening a flock of birds. Katniss immediately took aim and shot one down. The mood lightened and she and Gale both laughed lightly.
Then, a strange noise came from overhead. It was the sound of a strong wind along with a loud humming. Gale and Katniss searched the treetops, knowing what was causing it. A hovercraft from the Capitol. As soon as they saw it, the two friends ran for cover behind some bushes. They stared up at it cautiously. The large, ominous transport was bringing in loads of Peacekeepers and other things for the reaping that afternoon. They waited until it had passed before coming out again.

* * * * * * * * * *​

Last edited:
Chapter two​
A tall, pale woman with short whitish blond hair and an umbrella walked through the middle of Katniss' village in District 12. She was wearing small, heeled boots with sharp, pointed toes, a dull magenta skirt that was almost to tight, and a jacket-style top with puffed shoulders of the same color. On top of her hair sat an oversized artificial flower that was about the same color as her outfit. Around her neck was a large black choker-like scarf that had more pinkish flowers attached to it. Her lips were a dark metallic purple color and they reflected any source of light. Eyeshadow of the same color surronded both her eyes. Bright transparent pink earrings that dazzled in the sunlight adorned her ears. This was a woman from the Capitol. Her name was Effie Trinket.
Effie was in District 12 today to officiate the annual ceremony known to all the districts as "the reaping". She really did not like coming to this filthy place. Such a change from the luxurious lifestyle she was used to in the Capitol. Seeing the half-starved children playing in the mud almost made her feel a sort of pity for them. But after today she would be able to forget those sad, empty faces that always stared at her. At least, for another year.
The preparation for the reaping was on schedule. The lights were up, the big screen was almost perfectly in place, ana a man was busy washing the stairs and platform in front of the Hall of Justice with a pressure washer. The Hall of Justice was where the reaping would take place, with all the children standing there in groups, hoping their name would not be called. Everywhere you looked around the village square, you could see the symbol of Panem, the name given to the Capitol and the 12 Districts. It felt exciting for Effie, but dreadful for the citizens. Tonight, their District would have one less girl and boy living there. And one more broken-hearted family.

* * * * * * * * * *​

Chapter two continued...

Gale and Katniss sat on top of a hill, almost completely concealed by the tall grass. They were in the middle of a serious conversation and Gale was not happy. He never was when reaping day came. In his eyes, the whole thing was unfair and the people only made it worse. "What if they do? What if one year everyone just stopped watching?!" He said.
"They won't." Katniss argued.
"But what if they did?" Gale wouldn't let up. "What if we did?" He stared at Katniss, then looked off into the distance. "You root for your favorites, cry when they get killed. It's sick!" The look of digust on his face was unavoidable.
"Gale-" Katniss tried to calm him down.
"No one watches." Gale insisted. "And they don't have a game. It's as simple as that."
Katniss grinned. She loved it when Gale got upset at the Capitol. He always had everything figured out in his head and he was so confident that it made her believe that what he said could actually happen. Then, reality would bring her back.
"What?" He demanded, staring into her eyes.
"Nothing." Katniss laughed. They both held each other's gaze for a few seconds.
"Then why are you laughing at me?" Gale turned away.
"I'm not laughing at you." She assured him. But it was a lie, and he knew it. They both grinned at each other. Silence once again overtook them while Gale was obviously thinking hard about something.
"We could do it, you know." He said suddenly serious. He stared hard at Katniss. "Take off, live in the woods. It's what we do anyway."
Katniss already had her objection ready. "They'd catch us."
"No, maybe not." Gale replied. He was actually serious.
Looking away, Katniss voiced part of her fear. "Cut out our tongues... or worse. We wouldn't make it five miles."
Gale almost cut over the top of her voice. "No, I'd get five miles." He said. "Go that way." He pointed toward the forest deep in the heart of the valley that was below the hill they sat on. Another off limits spot to the people in District 12.
"I have Prim. And you have your brothers." Katniss had this arguement all mapped out. It wasn't the first time they had discussed running away.
But Gale was just as planned as Katniss. "They can come, too."
"Prim, in the woods?" Katniss almost laughed again. And the, so did Gale.
"Well, maybe not." He finally admitted.
Katniss changed the subject to something that had been bothering her lately. "I'm never having kids." She said simply. Why would she want to have kids? So they could be subjected to this horriffic life? Never knowing which birthday would be their last?
"I might," Gale told her. "If I didn't live here." He looked out at the treetops again.
"But you do live here-"
"I know. But if I didn't." His response provoked another long, hard stare from Katniss. Suddenly, a look of realization came over his face. "Oh, I forgot!" He reached into his bag that was sitting by his feet and removed a small loaf of bread. "Here." He held it out to Katniss.
Katniss sat up straight and quickly reaced for the bread. "Oh my gosh!" She exclaimed. "Is this real?" Tearing the bread open, she inhaled deeply and the smell of fresh bread was almost overwhelming.
"Yeah. It better be. Cost me a whole squirrel." Gale answered as Katniss split the bread in two pieces and handed him part. "Happy Hunger Games!" Gale said mockingly.
"And may the odds be ever in your favor." Katniss replied, just as mockingly as Gale. She bit into the loaf and flavor erupted inside her mouth, She hadn't tasted fresh bread in so long.
They sat in silence for a moment while savoring the taste. Then Katniss asked Gale a question. "How many times is your name in there today?" Durig the reaping, each boy and girl between 12 and 18 had their names put in a bowl. You got more entried every year you got older. Also, you could get more food rations for your family by having your name added even more times. Since Gale had so many brothers to feed, he always took extra rations.
"Forty-two." He said solemly. "Guess the odds aren't exactly in my favor." He looked away because he couldn't bear to see Katniss face filled with such sadness and pity.

Last part of Chapter two

Katniss visited the Hob later that day. It was a run down mill in the woods on the edge of the village, and it was filled with people looking to trade or sell their goods. Katniss usually had game to trade, and she made a decent living for her family with it. Today, she didn't have much.
An old woman smiled at Katniss when she revealed a large handful of berries wrapped in a cloth. "Thank you, girl." The woman smiled as she took them from Katniss and placed a ball of yarn in her hand.
As Katniss began to turn away, a shiny gold pin caught her eye. She stopped and picked it up out of the container full of various other buttons and things. The pin had a bird of some sort with an arrow in it's beak, and the arrow also created the perch. The whole thing was encircled by a large ring. "What's this?" She asked the woman.
"That's a mockingjay." The old woman replied kindly. She had a pitiful look on her face whenever she looked at Katniss. Why shouldn't she? For all she knew, this would be the last time she might ever see this bright young girl who brought the berries.
Katniss studied the pin hard for a few seconds. "How much?" She asked.
The old woman thought briefly, then shook her head. "You keep it. It's yours." She smiled warmly and almost apologetically at Katinss, her brow wrinkled with concern.
"Thank you." Katniss replied quietly as she looked the woman in the eyes. They both shared a soft smile, then Katniss turned and left the Hob.

* * * * * * * * * *​

Thanks. I just went and saw it again! There are a few words that i missed in my dialogue. They aren't crucial, but I might go back and put in what I remember. I will post more really soon!

Chapter three

Chapter three
Katniss walked back toward her house and surveyed the village. It was definately different today. Peacekeepers patrolled the paths. Children stood on their porches with their mothers, making sure they had on their best clothes for the reaping. Everyone was required to look their best, even though nobody knew why such a big fuss was made about it.
In Katniss' house, Primrose walked into the kitchen where her mother was standing. Prim had put on her skirt and a white blouse that was a bit to big. Her hair was done in two french braids down the sides of her head. "Mom." She said quietly, to get her mother's attention.
Her mother looked up and was silent. Katniss came in the door and immediately tried to brighten to the situation. "Ah, look at you!" She said cheerfully as she crossed the kitchen. "You look beautiful! But you gotta tuck in that tail, little duck." Katniss knelt down and tucked the back of Prim's blouse into her skirt. She smiled up at her little sister.
"I laid something out for you, too." Their mother said to Katniss gently.
Prim looked at her mother and Katniss looked down at the floor. "Okay." She replied quietly. She looked back up at Prim and smiled to keep her sister in a good mood.
Katniss went into the room with the washtub and scrubbed herself as clean as she could. All the children had to do this, so that if they were chosen they would at least look decent when arriving at the Capitol. When she saw her mother's best pale blue dress on her bed, it made her feel a bit sad. Today was really happening. Again.
After dressing, Katniss' mother came in and braided her long, dark hair up onto her head. It looked amazing. "Now you look beautiful, too." Her mother whispered.
"I wish I looked like you."Prim said from behind them.
Katniss turned and then sat down beside Prim. "Oh, no. I wish I looked like you, little duck." She grinned at her little sister. In the distance they heard a train whistle. It was a signal that the reaping would start soon. Katniss shook off the feeling of dread that was threatening to consume her. "Hey," she said to Prim,"Wanna see what I got for you today?"
Prim nodded her head and Katniss placed the mockingjay pin in her hand. "It's a mockingjay pin. To protect you." Katniss told her. "And, as long as you have it, nothing bad will happen to you." She folded Prim's fingers closed around the pin. "Okay? I promise."
Prim nodded her head again as another train whistle sounded. She leaned toward Katniss, who wrapped her in a hug before they both got up and left the house.

* * * * * * * * * *​

CHAPTER THREE continued

In the village square, Peacekeepers were everywhere to make sure nobody tried to run away and that riots didn't start. Children filed in from every direction. If you were between the ages of 12 and 18, you had better be at the reaping or the consequences were terrible.
Primrose and Katniss walked together in the middle of the crowd. Prim clutched Katniss' hand tightly and kept cool, until she saw the registration table. She caught her breath and started breathing hard. She began to sob slightly. Katniss walked her out of the crowd and tried to calm her down.
"Shhh, shhh. Prim, it's okay. It's okay." She said a she brushed Prim's hair away from her face. "Shhh, it's time to sign in now, okay? They're going to prick your finger, just to take a little bit of blood-"
"You didn't say that-" Prim sobbed.
Katniss looked sorry. "I know. I'm sorry. But it's not gonna hurt much, just a little, okay?" She looked into Prim's eyes. "You just go sit down there with the little kids and I'll find you after, okay?"
Before Prim knew it, she was standing in line at the registration table and it was her turn. "Next?" the lady at the table held out her hand. She motioned quickly with her fingers. "Next." Prim reluctantly held out her hand to the woman. The woman took it, turned it over, and pricked her index finger. The buzzing of the device made Prim jump slightly. Her finger was then placed on a paper where her blood was smeared inside a small boxed area. A small handheld device was scanned over the blood sample and the screen read: 'Primrose Everdeen 12 yrs old'. Prim looked nervous and frightened. "Go ahead." The woman instructed her. And she did.
Katniss watched Prim the whole time. Even when it was her turn to register, her eyes were trained on Prim. Katniss winced when the machine pricked her finger, then she hurried to get in line with the girls her age. There were so many kids and so many Peacekeepers. Katniss was put in a group that was a few rows back behind Prim's group.
Then, the ceremony began. A Peacekeeper opened the door to the Hall of Justice and out came three people: the Mayor, Effie Trinket, and a man named Haymitch Abernathy, who was the only winner of the Hunger Games from District 12. Three more people followed them, and sat in the charis on the opposite side of the stage as the first three. Katniss looked around the crowd and found Gale who silently reassured her it was going to be okay.
Effie walked to the old-fashioned microphone that stood in the middle of the platform and tapped it to make sure it was working. "Welcome! Welcome, welcome!" She began cheerfully. "Happy Hunger Games! And... May the odds be ever in your favor." She smiled at themall, expecting some sort of reaction. The crowd was silent.
"Now!" Effie continued, "Before we begin, we have a very special film. Brought to you all the way from the Capitol!" She motioned up towards the screen that had put in place, and a film started with the national anthem of Panem playing behind a man's voice, President Snow:
"War. Terrible war. Widows, orphans, and others childless. This was the uprising that brought war to our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. Then came the peace, hard fought, solely won. The people rose up from the ashes, and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. When the traitors were defeated, we swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed that, each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute one young man and woman to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage, and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future."
The last two sentences were also mouthed by Effie. As the music stopped at the end of the video Effie said, "I just love that! Now, the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and woman... For the honor of representing District 12 in the 74th annual Hunger Games! As usual... Ladies first." Effie strode to a large clear bowl that sat on one side of the stage and swirled her hand around until she found a piece of paper that she wanted. She walked back to the microphone and unfolded the paper. Taking a deep breath, she announced the name, "Primrose Everdeen!"

* * * * * * * * * *​

I'm interested. I want you to continue. I just started a new course this week, and I have been busy with it. But when I get the time to read what you have written I will comment on it. Keep up the good work!

Chapter three cntd

Sorry it's been a while! Here is another part!

Primrose was in shock. She looked around and all the girls stared at her in disbelief. Katniss heard the name and was overwhelmed with relief that she had not been chosen. Then she realized that Prim had been chosen. Why? Why did it have to be Prim? How could this happen?
From up on stage Effie called out, "Where are you? Come on up!" She said as Prim began to make her way to the front very slowly. "Well, come on up!"
Prim tucked her shirt tail back into her skirt and slowly made her way through the crowd to the middle aisle. She had dreaded this nightmare for weeks, and now it was coming true.
Katniss pushed her way through the crowd toward the center aisle. "Prim!" She yelled. She still hadn't figured out what she was going to do, but they were not taking her little sister. Prim turned around suddenly. "Prim!" Katniss started to rush forward but two Peacekeepers grabbed her arms and restrained her. Katniss began panicking and pushed against the Peacekeepers. "No! I, I volunteer! I volunteer!" She cried desperatley as she broke free of their grasp. Everyone, including the Peacekeepers, looked at her with stunned expressions. Never had District 12 had a volunteer. Katniss stood with her head high. "I volunteer as tribute!" She declared bravely.
Katniss' mother was watching the whole thing from the back of the crowd and she was just barely keeping herself together.
"Well, I believe we have a volunteer!" Effie said brightly as Katniss ran to embrace Prim.
Katniss hugged Prim then looked in her face and spoke quickly. "You need to get out of here. Prim, you need to get out of here!"
"Nooo!" Cried Prim.
"You need to go find mom-"
"Nooo!!" Prim refused to listen. She started crying.
"Prim, go find mom! I'm so sorry." Katniss tried her hardest to keep her voice from breaking.
"Nooo! No! Nooo!" Prim continued to cry. Katniss tried to get her to leave, but she wouldn't. Gale pushed throught the crowd and picked Prim up over his shoulder. "Nooooo!!!!" Prim shrieked. "Katniss! Noooo!!! Noooo! Nooooooo!!!!!!!" Gale took her to the back of th crowd to find her mother and Katniss was escorted to the stage.
"Well, a dramatic turn of events here in District 12." Effie announced. "Well, District 12's very first volunteer! Come on up!" She moved to the edge of the stage and beckoned to Katniss as the Peacekeepers took their place at the bottom of the stairs. "Come on dear."
Everything was a blur to Katniss. She still hadn't let the fact sink in that she was probably never coming home again. All she knew was that Prim was safe, and she was the only thing that mattered to Katniss anyway.
As soon as she was at the top of the stage, Effie Trinket took hold of her shoulders and walked her quickly over to the microphone. "What's your name?" She asked Katniss.
"Katniss Everdeen." Katniss replied quietly. Prim listened as she cried into her mothers dress in the back of the crowd. Her mother had tears in her eyes and she was trying her hardest to hold them back.
"Well, I'd bet my hat that was your sister, wasn't it?" Effie poked at the subject. She pushed the microphone in front of Katniss.
"Yes." Katniss almost didn't get the whole word out. She looked down and thought about what she had just done. But, Prim was safe, so that was settled at least.
Effie took the microphone back. "Let's have a big hand for our very first volunteer, Katniss Everdeen!" As the words came out, Katniss could feel the tears now stinging her eyes and she blinked in order to show no one how scared she was.
Applause was heard only from Effie Trinket. The rest of the crowd took three fingers, kissed them, then raised them in salute to Katniss. Not exactly the reaction Effie had hoped for. This salute only made Katniss more overwhelmed and she didn't care what anyone saw, she let he emotions show as she stood on stage.
"And now, for the boys!" Effie announced. She repeated the process and everyone held their breaths again. This time the name on the slip of paper was, "Peeta Mellark!"
All the boys looked at Peeta as he slowly made his way through the crowd. Then he climbed the stairs and took his place next to Effie. "Here we are!" Effie said. "Our tributes from District 12! Well, go on you two. Shake hands."
When Katniss looked into Peeta's face, she recognized him. He had helped her once, many years ago, when her family was starving. The two of them shook hands.
"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor." Effie told the crowd one last time. She then escorted Peeta and Katniss into the Hall of Justice and the Peacekeepers closed the doors behind them.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been posting. Here is more!

Chapter four​
Katniss stood at the single window inside the room she had been placed in. The Hall of Justce was a large concrete building that looked rough from the outside. Inside, however, was a whole different story. Rooms were richly furnished with comfortable chairs and couches, walls lined with books, and paintings everywhere. Nothing was admired by the girl who stood at the window.
Her finger clutched the windowsill tightly as she concentrated on what to say when her family came to wish her luck. She had to be strong. Crying in front of Prim would only make things worse. The door opened behind her and a man's voice said, "You have three minutes."
Spinning quickly, Katniss saw that Primrose and her mother had finally come. Prim's eyes were red from crying and she rushed across the room to wrap her arms around Katniss. Their mother had a look of sorrow and pain on her face. She had never thought that her girls would be chosen for the Games. She had lost her husband already, and now her daughter? Why?
Prim was sobbing again as Katniss knelt down to look her in the eyes. "Shhh, Prim, it's okay. Shhh, Prim. I don't have much time." Katniss began calmly. She stroked Prim's hair as she spoke. "Okay, listen." She paused to make sure she had her sister's attention. "You're gonna be fine. Don't take any extra food from them. It isn't worth putting your name in more times, okay?"
Prim began to sob louder. How could she let Katniss go? She didn't want to. She couldn't.
"Prim, listen!" Katniss took hold of Prim's chin and tried to calm her down while she talked. "Gale will bring you game and you can sell cheese from your goat."
Sad, lost little eyes stared down at Katniss. Primrose was only twelve years old, and she was losing her sister. The sister who had fed her and kept her safe when their father had died. Their mother had gone in to a deep depression and Prim would have died if Katniss had not stepped up. "Just try to win..." She pleaded through her sobs, "If you can."
Katniss swallowed hard. She replied lightly, "Maybe I can. I'm smart you know." She tried to force a smile for her sister, but one wouldn't come.
Prim looked down. "You can hunt."
"Exactly." Katniss agreed. Although the thought of hunting humans was making her gut wrench. The two remained silent for a moment as they let the conversation sink in. Prim looked down at her hands and held out the mockingjay pin Katniss had given her earlier that morning.
"To protect you." Prim held it out to Katniss.
Taking it gently in her hand, Katniss felt the cool metal, then looked into Prim's face one more time. "Thank you." She said quietly. She kissed Prim's forehead, then wrapped her in a hug. Peeling herself away, she looked up at their mother. Katniss stood up and positioned herself in front of her. "You can't tune out again." She said sternly.
Her mother looked lost. "I won't." She whispered.
"No! You can't!" Katniss said forcefully. "Not like when dad died. I won't be here for her. You're all she's got." She looked hard into her mother's eyes. "No matter what you feel, you have to be there for her, do you understand?"
Nodding her head ever so slightly, Katniss' mother tried to hold back the tears that were showing in her eyes.
"Don't cry." Katniss said. She leaned forward and hugged her mother tightly. "Don't cry." She repeated gently. "Don't."
The door was opened and the Peacekeeper announced, "It's time."
Prim ran to Katniss' side and wrapped her arms around her. She didn't want to lose her sister. She couldn't let this happen. It wasn't fair! Why Katniss? Why?
"Prim, it's okay!" Katniss said. Panic began to leak into her voice. "It's okay."
"Nooo!" Prim yelled. "Nooo!" She continued to scream as the Peacekeeper grabbed her by the arms and pulled her out of the room with her mother. "Nooo!!"
"I'll try to win!" Katniss said quickly. "I promise, Prim!" And then the door was slammed, and her family was gone. It was silent once more in the dark room. Katniss slowly stepped toward the door, and tried the handle. It was unlocked and she pulled the door open slightly. She was met with the sight of Peacekeepers guarding the entrance. Carefully, she closed the door again.
As soon as the door was latched, it burst open. Katniss jumped and looked frightfully at the person who had just entered the room. It was Gale. Relief washed over Katniss, as she embraced her best friend. "I'm fine." She told Gale.
"Yeah, I know." Gale said. He didn't really believe her. She had always been good at lying about her feelings.
"Really, I am." Katniss tried desperately to convince him. They released each other and she stood back to look up into his kind and concerned face.
"Listen to me." Gale instructed. "You're stonger than they are. You are." He tried to reassure Katniss as well as himself. "Get to a bow."
"They may not have one!" Katniss exclaimed.
Gale cut over the top of her voice again. "They will if you show them how good you are!" Slowly, Katniss was trying to accept everything that was happening. "They just want a good show. That's all they want!" Gale looked desperately into Katniss' eyes, hoping that he could convince her she could win.
Katniss slowly nodded her head. Gale continued, "And if they don't have a bow, you make one, okay? You know how to hunt."
"Animals." Katniss objected softly.
Gale paused for a moment. "It's no different, Katniss." He said finally. They both stared deep into each other's faces. They knew it was different, but that would be the deciding factor in Katniss' fate. Kill or be killed.
"There's twenty-four of us, Gale. And only one comes out." Her voice caught in her throat. She had been thinking about this ever since she volunteered. How could she kill other children? It was, like Gale said earlier, sick.
"I know." Gale said with a forced smile. "And it's gonna be you." He put his hand around the back of her neck and squeezed her hand tight. She felt warm and reassured. At least, until the door opened behind Gale and the Peacekeeper came in. That's when panic came back.
"Okay." The Peacekeeper declared.
Katniss wrapped Gale in one last desperate hug. "Take care of them, Gale!" She pleaded. "Whatever you do, don't let them starve!" She began to release the tears that had been building during their conversation.
The Peacekeeper took hold of Gale's arm and forced the two of them apart. "Let's go."
"I'll see you soon!" Gale promised as he was pulled out the door. "Okay?" The door was slammed shut again.
Katniss was alone. Scared and nervous. She hadn't felt this afraid since the day she heard the mine had collapsed where her father was working. The feeling of utter despair that engulfed her was the same as when she stood there. She had wanted so desperately to do something to save her father, but there was nothing she could do. Just like right now.
* * * * * * * * * *​

Back