Does Susan go to the "New Narnia"?/Whatever happened to Susan?

judyfromkansas

Susan and the Loss of Her Family/What Ever Happened to Susan

When I first read "The Last Battle" I received a genuine shock when I learned that Susan was no longer a friend of Narnia. Apparently she'd gone materialistic and turned away from the rest of her siblings.

Ever since then, I've wished that Lewis had written a book following up on Susan's fate.

If YOU were to write such a book, what would you have happen? :)

Me, I'd have her find her faith - and her way back to Narnia - again! :D

(BTW, "The Last Battle" is by far my LEAST favorite of the Chronicles).

If I were to follow it up... I would write a book in which we see Susan grown and married. The main story would be about her children finding their way into the wood between the worlds and having an adventure in a different sort of land (since Narnia would be destroyed by this time). In the end, when the children returned, they would talk to their mother about their experiences; and Susan would find her faith again in Narnia and Aslan through them. Such a story would also have to portray a certain amount of history with how Susan dealth with the angst of losing every single member of her family in a terrible train accident. One would logically assume also that in the end when she refinds her faith in Narnia, the angst will finally be resolved because she'll know that her parents and brothers and sisters are all in the "real" Narnia.

I like those ideas. C.S. Lewis could really go to town on an issue like the once saved/always saved concept. You may think this idea is a little strange, but you could even gear this story to adults. Ephinie's idea would be cool, because it would relate more to the parents, and how "those games we played as children" might be the right way, contrary to what the world says. "Out of the mouth of babes..." would be a big point to make with a story like that.

This may be a little controversial but I'm glad that not all the Pevensies made it to the end - because it makes the story seem more real. People will always fall by way side when it comes to faith and belief in something, and those that remain on the 'true path'; as it were become stronger. Susan's fate shows the falability of human nature thereby reinforcing the other themes and behaviour in the stories.

oh, judyfromkansas - just so you know, strange as it may seen, not everyone who posts on this site has read all the books so be sure to alert the masses if your going to post a spoiler!

Originally posted by judyfromkansas@Oct 17 2004, 10:39 AM
Ever since then, I've wished that Lewis had written a book following up on Susan's fate.
Yes, it seems important to me too that she is offered the same kind of opportunity for redemption that Edmund was. To see her be received back into Narnia. Didn't the Prof say in the LWW, "Once a King in Narnia, always a King in Narnia." So, she was not sent away, she went away.

"A sower went out to sow his seed. As he was sowing, some fell... on the rock; when it sprang up, it withered, since it lacked moisture. Other seed fell among thorns; the thorns sprang up with it and choked it.

And the seeds on the rock are those who, when they hear, welcome the word with joy. Having no root, these believe for a while and depart in a time of testing. As for the seed that fell among thorns, these are the ones who, when they have heard, go on their way and are choked with worries, riches, and pleasures of life, and produce no mature fruit."

Luke 8:4-15

Originally posted by Ephinie@Oct 17 2004, 10:48 AM
If I were to follow it up... I would write a book in which we see Susan grown and married. The main story would be about her children finding their way into the wood between the worlds and having an adventure in a different sort of land (since Narnia would be destroyed by this time). In the end, when the children returned, they would talk to their mother about their experiences; and Susan would find her faith again in Narnia and Aslan through them. Such a story would also have to portray a certain amount of history with how Susan dealth with the angst of losing every single member of her family in a terrible train accident. One would logically assume also that in the end when she refinds her faith in Narnia, the angst will finally be resolved because she'll know that her parents and brothers and sisters are all in the "real" Narnia.
Hmm. I like your idea! But why couldn't Susan's children actually find their way into Narnia? Remember, Narnian times flows differently from our own! Perhaps the children could find their way into Narnia's past - perhaps pick up the events from the time the original Kings and Queens blundered their way back into our world (after the hunt for the White Stag). Perhaps...and this is radical, I know...perhaps the children could even undo what led to Narnia's destruction - and then Narnia could live again! That IMO would rock. Then the oft-discussed possibility of new Narnia books might be made possible - if the right author were found...

Something to think about, anyway...

I was surprised when I read The Last Battle. But I'm certain that if the story had really happened, or if Lewis had written more, eventually would come to terms of finding Christ again after the loss of all her family. She knew her siblings believed, and I supppose her parents did too. She must have known that.

Originally posted by rosymole@Oct 18 2004, 12:52 PM
This may be a little controversial but I'm glad that not all the Pevensies made it to the end - because it makes the story seem more real. People will always fall by way side when it comes to faith and belief in something, and those that remain on the 'true path' as it were become stronger. Susan's fate shows the falability of human nature thereby reinforcing the other themes and behaviour in the stories.
I agree, oddly I wouldn't like a perfect story. I like that it reflects reality by showing that some people do fall away. Besides, when I think about it, it's better that it's Susan rather than anyone else (or at least any of the Pevensies). I really think that, though no author is perfect, Lewis knew what he was doing.

Susan and the Loss of Her Family

Wheres Susan now? She didnt go back to Narnia, but is she out of the shadowlands?

Susan represented the people of this world that believed at one point, but fell away to disbelief, or were to engrossed in this world to worry about the next.

That's an insightful interpretation, Paul. :)

I do agree with you in the respect of C.S. Lewis' intent for what she was supposed to represent, but in terms of story, I think it's utterly fascinating to speculate.

My idea is that all of the possessions of her family that was "smashed up on the British Railways" were handed over to her and that she eventually found the rings (which you recall Peter was carrying). Then I think she got into the Wood Between the Worlds and spent the rest of her life popping in and out of different lands because she didn't have the sense to "mark the home pool" the way Digory and Polly did.

Or she just went into a decline when she discovered that all her immediate family was dead.

Here's something else to throw into the discussion. Why did the Pevensie parents die as well? I don't think it further the plot very much at all, and it was a bit of coincidence. Is there some meaning behind it that I'm missing?

~Nelli.

at least they saw there parents, that means that they were out of the shadowlands aswel, but if they were with aslan now... i dont know?????? i think that susan is playing a game, i think she does know that there is a narnia and the other stuff, but that she will not admit it (if you understand)

If you look at the CoN from a non-Christian point of view, as I do, then Susan's disapearence from the stories is merely her 'growing up', as was mentioned in the stories. SHe embraced the adult world and lost her innocence as children do, and there is nothing wrong with growing up and not wanting to 'make believe ' anymore. There comes a time when unfortunatley practicalities have to take over!
Also,the time the children were living in, if we consider the story as real, then the reality of the world situation would have made them grow up pretty quickly- evacuation, rationing and the threat of invasion can do a lot to extinguish childish play.
This is a very 2D way to look at it I know, so if you bring in the allegory then it does become more 'explainable', especially with the parents. Although when I was younger, much younger, there was also a slight fear caused by Susan's not being there - what would happen to me if when I grew up I didn't believe in the stories I'd been so involved with as a child?

The problem with that, Rosymole, is that C.S. Lewis wrote them from an entirely allegorical standpoint. I.E. Christian point of view.

Looking at them from a non-Christian point of view is somewhat contrary to the intentions of the author.

However, when practicalities must take over, we have to learn to distinguish WHICH stories to believe and which not to. Which are historical, and which are not. What should you be worried about and what shouldn't you be worried about.

I see where you're coming from Paul and understand that in an ideal world everyone who read the CoN would immediately pick up the allegory and understand and appreciate it fully for what it is and does, but sadly not everyone will, people can live a very closed existence and only look at what is directly before them and not really it.
If people read things exactly as the author had intended all the time wouldn't this limit the scope for healthy debate?

Not necessarily. It might make the debate healthier. Let's take this poem for example:

Robert Frost's famous poem, "The Road Less Travelled"

Some claim it to be Anti-Christian. That is a very dangerous claim to make, and couldn't be further from the truth. The poem can be taken many other ways, but when you claim that an author intended negativity, it sheds a negative light on the artist. The poem stemmed from a time when he was on vacation and there was a dark night when he was on a path through some woods. There was a point where another path crossed his, and another man that looked remarkably like himself was walking on that one. He wondered where that man was travelling. He wrote to his wife about it, and the idea for the poem struck him. It's simply about that night, for the path he was on was becoming less of a path, because not many travelled by it.

I think she was definately an allegory, and the wood of worlds idea is a neat one.

maybe she just has to wait till she dies and then she'll go back to narnia. If the chronicles of narnia were true stories, then she could still be alive today!

Heres another example of Narnian time difference:

in LB Eustace and Jill and the rest of the friends of Narnia were all smashed up at the same time, right? but eustace and jill had their adventure in narnia and then found the pevensies in the stable. they said they were taken their right after the railway accident. whats up with that?

Susanlover

Personally, I think that what happened to Susan is obvious. After finding out about her families death she would surely be reminded of good time, and she would remember Narnia and beleive in it again. And after her renewed belief she would be brought back to live with her family in Narnia. In the last battle it states that " they lived happily ever after" and surely they couldnt be happy with out susan there also.

Back