List of differences between the book and the movie?

Hi all,

I've seen the trailer, but haven't yet dug into any of the spoilers. But even what little I've heard indicates that there will be some significant differences from the book--new characters, new scenes, etc.

Does anyone have a list of the differences? I'd like to add it to the communal online Narnia database that we're building:

http://narniaconfidential.com/The Disney Movies

Of course, to really fill in all the differences, we'll have to wait for the movie to come out!

--Chris

she-elfwarrior19 said:
Well in the trailer i notice some, but i have to go so i will write a few later

Thanks She-Elf!

Just remember, when you go to edit the site, it will ask you for a password. The password is "letusrule".

To make a link, just use brackets like this: [Aslan]

Thanks,
Chris

Hey, I just need to point out something.

The title of the page should not be "The Disney Movies" but rather "The Walden Media Movies" or "The Walden Media Editions." Disney is the promotor, Walden Media is the content.

That and Peter and Susan's roles are somewhat reversed. In the book Peter is the hesitant one and Susan is the commanding one who is willing to explore Narnia, whereas in the movie it's opposite and Susan is the more cautious one.

And in the film, WWII plays a larger role in the story whereas in the book it is mentioned in one sentance but no discription goes in to it it just says that the children had to go away to the country during the air raids.

Also the entire Battle sequence at the end is totally extended. It's only half a page in the book and it almost over before it begins.

That's a difference in depiction, but not a difference in the imagined facts of the story. In the book we follow the viewpoint of Susan and Lucy GOING TO the battlefield, but this doesn't mean that the battle WASN'T proceeding in a way similar to the movie.

A difference in SUBSTANCE between book and film would be something I mentioned in the "Haters" thread. In the book, when Professor Kirke hears about Lucy claiming to have found Narnia, his talk to Peter and Susan has intellectual substance, discussing the possibility of parallel universes existing. But in the movie, the Professor ONLY speaks about relationships and emotions--just like a postmodernist in 2005, NOT like a serious academic in 1940.

That's a difference in depiction, but not a difference in the imagined facts of the story. In the book we follow the viewpoint of Susan and Lucy GOING TO the battlefield, but this doesn't mean that the battle WASN'T proceeding in a way similar to the movie.

A difference in SUBSTANCE between book and film would be something I mentioned in the "Haters" thread. In the book, when Professor Kirke hears about Lucy claiming to have found Narnia, his talk to Peter and Susan has intellectual substance, discussing the possibility of parallel universes existing. But in the movie, the Professor ONLY speaks about relationships and emotions--just like a postmodernist in 2005, NOT like a serious academic in 1940.

Oh I know that, I just was stating in length compasion. Lewis wrote it rather short, even though you knew it was long battle. Andrew did as you have stated and used is imagination. He told the parts of the rest of Pevensies in the battle for a longer duration. Same could be said about the Battle at Anvard in the HHB or The Battle of Aslan's Howl in PC. We imagine all that is going on and all that could be going on at the same time. Anyhow I was just trying to point out an obvious observation.

I realize that. I wasn't arguing with you, just clarifying in case anyone reading this thread THOUGHT THAT you thought the book did not mean there was a substantial battle.

What I cited about the Professor's talk with Peter and Susan is one example of something occurring throughout the film: the scriptwriter seeming to assume that no one would be watching the movie EXCEPT people who had already read the book. Thus, the end of the movie doesn't tell us WHY the adult Pevensies were chasing a stag WITHOUT bringing along the weapons they would have brought if they intended to kill it.

Ah well then thank you for making that clear. I thank the battle in LWW was substantial. I just thought they extended it in the film. Which they tend to do with any movie based of a book. :)

Yes, like the collapsing-staircase emergency in the movie of "The Fellowship of the Ring": a scene which did no harm to the story, but strictly speaking was not from the book.

I have mentioned this elsewhere, but in the book, Peter and Susan actively went searching for the Professor when they became concerned about Lucy. In the movie, they were tryng to slink back to their rooms when the Professor motioned that he wanted to talk with them.

They also were shown as trying to get away with breaking a window in the movie as the reason why they weretrying to get away from Mrs. MacReady and the Professor. In the book, they were trying to avoid the tour group.

In both circimstances, the movie made Susan and Peter look less responsible than their book counterparts.

MrBob

You're right there, MrBob. Did you ever see Alan Alda's movie "Sweet Liberty," which was largely ABOUT moviemaking? It was remarked there that modern movie directors insist on finding some way to show someone defying authority. I guess you could say that a little of that element was being grafted on by having the Pevensies try to hide from responsibility.

Back