Eeeeegggggssss

The DLF is an adorable teddy bear compared to his relatives. Just saying. But I feel comfortable here, because I never stay anywhere longer than 48 hours.

In that case, "I feel very comfortable here," doesn't really mean anything. What is "here" when as soon as you have explained, you're already packing up and going "there"?

Stop trying to induce an existential crisis. It won't work. You can't beat this:

Attachments

• 300px-MagrittePipe.jpg
    300px-MagrittePipe.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 18
I just like precision in language is all.

And I thought you didn't know any French. Hmpf. Be more specific next time, e.g. "I don't know any French apart from ceci n'est pas une pipe, baguette, o là là, etiquette, decolleté, c'est la vie, bonne chance, l'etat c'est moi, creme brulée, vis-à-vis, à l'attaque, allez les bleus, fromage, and bonjour cherie."

I actually used that picture when I was student teaching, but I think I might have been unfair to the artist. Because, technically, a picture of a pipe isn't a pipe...no internal contradiction necessary....

Oh dear. This conjures up terrible memories of lessons on language skepticism. We had to read this weird dude's account of how he wanted to write the ultimate encyclopaedia but then saw a watering can in the garden and realized that words were insufficent to describe its sublimity, so in the end he was wholly unable to speak or think coherently.

You'd probably enjoy it, Glen.

That sounds like something from Dufferland, except that guy was probably serious. We, on the other hand, like Sirius, which is very different. Sirius is much shinier than a watering can.

Oly wrote that before Sirius got siriusly shiny. Sirius currently seems more into the Duffer Moon than the Duffer Sun or the Can, however.

That's a good question. I think Sirius is a star, because Sirius Black was named after the star. But it's possible that when Sirius Black fell through the veil, he was transported into outer space and became a star. But stars are semi-eternal and therefore his starry existence went back into the past, and so he was named after himself.

Unless Sirius was originally a well-loved dog, and both the star and the man were named after the same dog....

A well-placed article in the DE would be helpful here. I think we've discussed the identity of Sirius before, and I didn't look any cleverer then than I do now.

Yes, but clearly none of us know who he is. Not even WS.

Granted, there are plenty of Encyclopedia articles written by people whose subjects confused them...that's why there's a writer's wing in the Asylum....

Back