Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr- Christopher Paolini III - Post all Eragon here

Eragon was one of the few DVDs I've owned and actually got rid of. It's just... really not good. XD Yay for Jeremy Irons! and I thought Ed Speleers or whatever his name did a good enough job, as well.

I'm sure someone will take them up to be films again in a few years! Learn from the other film's mistakes.

I've got all the books, and am yet to read the final one. :)

Last edited:
Ahem, I have made a goal to publish at least one hit selling book by the time I'm seventeen. Just so y'all know.

I've written four books. My goal is to get one published by the time I graduate (I'm 17, in my senior year of high school). I don't care if its a hit or not, I just want to feel the pride of being a published author.:p:D

Well, that's a given now.

You try to base a movie on a book, it falls apart pretty fast.

I still own my Eragon DVD, but I think it's at the bottom of a box in my garage somewhere, i haven't watched it in a very long time.

The books by contrast, I reread periodically. ;)

Well, when I can make time to read all of them that is.
I'm the kind of person who has to keep reading the story once they finish the first book.
And well, you've seen how big each book is individually....... :rolleyes:

I've written four books. My goal is to get one published by the time I graduate (I'm 17, in my senior year of high school). I don't care if its a hit or not, I just want to feel the pride of being a published author.:p:D

Wow! good on ya! i'm still struggling with the opening chapter of the first book i'm writing which i keep re-writing and re-writing! was the first book you wrote quite difficult to write?

The biggest problem with the first Eragon film, is that so much is cut out, it pretty much cripples the possiblity of continuing the story.

I know much was removed, but the one thing they should have kept (and she is in a deleted scene) is Elva.

She plays such a significant role in the next three books that not having her in the movie is detrimental to the continuity of the series as a whole.
How do you explain that Elva is suddenly there when she was not shown in the theatrical release?

Arya's doesn't appear particularly elflike, which was a story point now and then, usually someone pointing and saying "Look! she's an elf!".

Angela was completely changed into a fortune teller who's appearance is no way similar to the book version.
Orik is omitted.
So are many other characters who play a role over the course of the series.
Since the role they play is key to the story, the movie is sabotaging itself.

Because of all these things, I get the impression the director was not really trying.
It's like he just wanted to do a one shot movie, get all the cash and royalties from the naive fans who didn't realize what they were paying for and move onto his next project not caring what a horrible job he did.

That's why I resent this movie, it's a bad hack job and they didn't even try for one sequel, let alone 3!

I'm hoping when enough time passes, someone with respect for the pacing of the original story and smart enough to note the key plotpoints makes a better version in the future.

Not mention Katrina is left out! She was cast tho. But left out. Katrina is as big a part as Elva! I guess they could've had Eragon "bless/curse" Elva in the second one..idk.

I hated that they didn't hide the fact the Arya was the Princess. Plus they looked like Indians in the last scene when they left...not elves.

The biggest flaw was not having Solembum in the film. I mean, come on, a werecat. How fun is that!

Finally finished the last book a few weeks back. A pretty good series altogether. :) I will be curious about planned 'revisits' to Paolini's world.

Maybe they were just being cheap.
The whole production looks like they were cutting corners in the budget.
No pointed ears for Arya, no dwarf army and so on.

To make an animated cat using CGI is quite expensive.
And then you need the actual real life cat and it's trainer, which also costs money.
Then there's the actor who plays his human version, more cost involved in that.
Also, it would slow production down, since there are laws on employing underage actors, they're not allowed to work as long as adults, so it takes longer to shoot their scenes due to scheduled breaks and onset tuition (you don't get to avoid schoolwork while you're pursuing your career as a thespian!).

I remember seeing an behind the scenes special on a show where a teenage actress was hired and as soon as they took a break to reset for shooting the next scene, the onset tutor immediately handed her a pad to do her schoolwork.

Last edited:
Narnia echo?

On the whole I'm sort of ambivalent about the eragorn series, it can't compete with Lotr or Narnia or Pratchett but its not bad but I felt that Christopher let his atheism get the better of his writing.
Now I just realised a Narnia echo in the last book (or between the last 2) in The Last Battle, Aslan reveals himself to the dwarves except that because they had already decided not to believe, they denied the undeniable evidence. Eragon in the 3rd book saw the evidence of a god of sorts, but because he had already decided that gods don't exist he denied the undeniable and in the 4th book contradicted his own logic in an atheist argument.

Back