Thread: Real Presence
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Perelandrian

Benisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really niceBenisse is just really nice
Default Chapter 1: Introduction -- Incarnational Reality

At last (!) I am able to post my notes on the first two chapters of Leanne Payne’s Real Presence: The Christian Worldview of C.S. Lewis as Incarnational Reality. Sorry for my multiple delays; I was traveling 10/14-30, 11/18-21 and 11/23-26 so didn’t have tie to really sit down and write down my thoughts. Hopefully I can keep on schedule better in the future.

Chapter 1: Incarnational Reality
The term incarnational reality captures the essence of C.S. Lewis’s worldview as a Christian. To him this is what it means to Know God – to be invaded by His Spirit so that He is in us and we are in Christ (p.14).

Payne quotes Lewis in Mere Christianity (p. 13):
“When Christians say the Christ-life is in them, they do not mean simply something mental or moral. When they speak of being ‘in Christ’ or of Christ being ‘in them,’ this is not simply a way of saying that they are thinking about Christ or copying Him. They mean that Christ is actually operating through them that the whole mass of Christians are the physical organism through which Christ acts – that we are His fingers and muscles, the cells of His body.”

To Lewis, God is more than a theological abstract – His Real Presence was an experiential, supernatural knowledge of a personal God; and this awe-filled reality, immanently indwelling those who are His, “formed the center of Lewis’s theology and philosophy” (p.14). This truth he proclaimed over and over in his theological and imaginative writings.

Truly Knowing God through the indwelling Spirit, however, is the truth that many choose to turn from, choosing to embrace “shallow and less demanding substitutes for his one redeeming link with God” (p.15). This Real Presence therefore sets Christianity apart from all other philosophies and ideologies, for none other focuses on the Holy Spirit indwelling and transformationally reviving our every faculty, our whole personality to the glory of God.

Just as God was incarnate in Jesus Christ, through the indwelling Spirit, the Risen Christ is transposed in the believer. This transposition is God reaching down to mankind, linking us to God; and thus we are restored to the reality of God, supernature (angelic realm) and nature.

Xin Yesu... Xiang Yesu
Believe Jesus... Be like Jesus